Thanksgiving thoughts.

Raynine

VIP Member
Oct 28, 2023
In 1998 my brother and I got in my van and drove four hundred miles to see my sister on Thanksgiving. She gave us each an inexpensive Timex wristwatch to remember the occasion. Due to my job I could not wear wristwatches so I placed the watch in my sock drawer where it stayed for twenty five years. I have no idea how long the battery lasted because I never wore the watch. I moved to different houses four times and the watch was just an artifact that went with whatever else was in the drawers. We talked on this last Thanksgiving and the memory of the watch came up.

Sure enough, it was still in the drawer frozen on 12:10. AM or PM? The watch didn't say. The back face of the watch was engraved with the battery type so I went to Walmart where the woman in the jewelry department told me they were all out of those batteries. I was told not to try to take the watch apart myself because I could wreck it. My last resort would have been to take the watch to a jeweler where I would probably be charged more than the watch was worth. I complained to one of my mates in the gym and he said I should take the watch to Batteries-Plus right in town where they would install the new battery for me. I did that and a kid younger than my grandsons had the watch running again quickly.

The watch does not monitor my heart rate, body temperature, blood pressure, or resparation. It does not connect to a satellite to tell me where I am or how fast I am going. It only tells me the time and the date and it lights up if I press the top when I am in low light. It is old technology. But it is a very special watch because my sister gave to me once a long time ago and I only have one sister.

Great story! I too had a sister (she passed several years ago) who had a knack of buying shirts for me that looked better on me than the ones I bought for myself. I guess sisters are like that. I do miss her. :(

I love Thanksgiving. I get to spend time with my kids and grandkids. It's a laid-back time at work as most of my student tenants have gone home for the holiday. I even noticed that my blood pressure goes down 10 points, and the great feelings last for days afterwards.

Last edited:
Great story! I too had a sister (she passed several years ago) who had a knack of buying shirts for me that looked better on me than the ones I bought for myself. I guess sisters are like that. I do miss her. :(
My sister died in 2019.

I didn't go to her wedding because I was very opposed to it. The psycho she married had a very bad reputation.

His ex-girlfriend and the dude she was with got murdered. The murderer(s) tied bags on their heads, thus suffocating them.

Then my sister got poisoned to death. He told many people that he wanted her to have an abortion. She was 38 weeks pregnant.

Now he is in jail because he was chasing his latest girlfriend down the road shooting at her.

My sister died in 2019.

I didn't go to her wedding because I was very opposed to it. The psycho she married had a very bad reputation.

His ex-girlfriend and the dude she was with got murdered. The murderer(s) tied bags on their heads, thus suffocating them.

Then my sister got poisoned to death. He told many people that he wanted her to have an abortion. She was 38 weeks pregnant.

Now he is in jail because he was chasing his latest girlfriend down the road shooting at her.
:omg:

Forum List

Back