Ramaswamy Was Right

When he said that "the nuclear family is the greatest form of government known to mankind." That was a powerful moment during the debate.

Do any democrats here agree with him?
ask-melania.jpg

When he said that "the nuclear family is the greatest form of government known to mankind." That was a powerful moment during the debate.

Do any democrats here agree with him?
Is "nuclear family" defined as "five children by three wives"?

Ramalamadingdong is a clown.

Your village will stop you if you are abusive or your children are in danger……That is what villages do
If only this were true. Do you know how many children have been at risk and "the village" thinks keeping families together is more important than the safety and well being of the child so they return them to the very environment that put them at risk initially.

And then how many never make it out alive?

Or when "the village" uses the legal system to "kidnap" a child to keep it from a parent it has deemed "undeserving"? And then systematically destroys said parent's life to create a paper trail that they can then use against the parent.

Exactly…and for some reason, the idea of “it takes a village” is misrepresented and has become toxic to the right.

The nuclear family is a modern construct and if you look closely it is a very isolating concept. The entire burden of child raising is on just two parents. There is no extended family or neighborhood in place to offer help either physical, financial or knowledge.

Why is a nuclear family so important when we are a species that thrives on systems of cooperative support and nurturing?

”It takes a village” means…

Extended family, friends, neighbors, clergy, teachers, coaches, mentors all playing a role in the nurturing of a child.

What is wrong with that?
I think what rubs me the wrong way with the phrase "it takes a village" is to me villagers are generally strangers whose lives and philosophies don't necessarily align with those of your own family. Would you want the home owners association (just as an example) having a hand in raising your child(ren)?

There is a big different in "playing a role in the nurturing of a child" and "it takes a village to raise a child" with the bolded part often being left off.

Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and even older cousins are simply family from my perspective. Step-parents and step-siblings are viewed as extended family, but still falling under the umbrella of family, meaning "not the village". Your child(ren)'s teachers, coaches, mentors, etc. are individuals who shape your child's life but are a part of it by choice, your choice. Village implies to me, people butting into your business and that of your family including your child- raising methods, uninvited and often unwanted.

I think what rubs me the wrong way with the phrase "it takes a village" is to me villagers are generally strangers whose lives and philosophies don't necessarily align with those of your own family. Would you want the home owners association (just as an example) having a hand in raising your child(ren)?

There is a big different in "playing a role in the nurturing of a child" and "it takes a village to raise a child" with the bolded part often being left off.

I don’t see it that way, rather it is the extended network of people that surround the family and have meaningful ties to them.

Parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles and even older cousins are simply family from my perspective. Step-parents and step-siblings are viewed as extended family, but still falling under the umbrella of family, meaning "not the village". Your child(ren)'s teachers, coaches, mentors, etc. are individuals who shape your child's life but are a part of it by choice, your choice. Village implies to me, people butting into your business and that of your family including your child- raising methods, uninvited and often unwanted.

Interesting…I don’t see it that way at (In the bolded part) but rather what you describe above.

I looked it up to see where it came from and what it means, it has multiple origins but the meaning is consistent. The well being and positive growth of a child comes from more than the nuclear family. Everyone in a community feels a responsibility towards the children of that community. Because we have turned into a bureaucratic culture entrenched in individualism, we lose sight of that or regard it as a threat.

It takes a village to raise a child" is a proverb that means that an entire community of people must provide for and interact positively with children for those children to experience and grow in a safe and healthy environment.

The Africanist perspective is more about community, it's more about collaboration. It's less about what we can do individually," says Neal Lester, a humanities professor at Arizona State University who specializes in African-American literary studies. "The essence of the proverb speaks to a certain worldview that challenges Western individualism," he said.

If only this were true. Do you know how many children have been at risk and "the village" thinks keeping families together is more important than the safety and well being of the child so they return them to the very environment that put them at risk initially.

And then how many never make it out alive?

Or when "the village" uses the legal system to "kidnap" a child to keep it from a parent it has deemed "undeserving"? And then systematically destroys said parent's life to create a paper trail that they can then use against the parent.
Maybe that is because it isn’t really the village but a bunch of strangers who have no personal knowledge or connection with the family.

Maybe that is because it isn’t really the village but a bunch of strangers who have no personal knowledge or connection with the family.
Exactly, and not all of those people have what's best for the child or family at heart.

I'm sure you've heard of people who will falsely call child protective services on a parent in order to harm them if they consider them an adversary, in much the same way that individuals going through a marriage dissolution will sometimes accuse one another of horrible things simply to gain an advantage in a custody dispute. I've seen people who at one point claimed to have loved one another use their children as pawns in order to emotionally hurt their ex, or gain a financial advantage when it comes to the amount of child support involved.

I don't see people who are not fit to manage their own family's lives and their children's well-being, as being qualified to try to instruct anyone else on how to manage their family's lives.

I realize I'm a little jaded when it comes to these things but I am pretty perceptive when it comes to ascertaining things that help, versus things that hurt one's situation.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back