Ralph Waite, Patriarch of The Waltons, Dies at 85

namvet

Gold Member
May 20, 2008
across the pond
2zdq24w.jpg

1t4f34.jpg

Ralph Waite, known to millions as John Walton Sr. on the warmhearted 1970s TV series The Waltons – and, more recently, as the Mark Harmon character's father, Jackson "Jack" Gibbs, on the CBS hit NCIS – died at his Palm Desert home at about 11 a.m. Thursday, according to the Desert Sun. He was 85.

The paper reports that his longtime friend, Jerry Preece, showed up for a lunch and movie date only to find ambulances and Waite's wife, Linda Waite, at the house.

"She just told me she thought he’d passed," said Preece, who ascribed his friend's death to a "tired heart. … This last year or two, he had really gotten closer to realizing that his body was wearing out."

The son of a construction engineer, Waite was raised in suburban White Plains, N.Y. in an environment that was "very secular, non-artistic. I was never taken to a play or concert or church. Yet I was a show-off, a dreamer, a storyteller," he told PEOPLE in 1977.

writer Clarence Hall. She introduced him to the writings of theological heavies like Niebuhr and Tillich and inspired him to become a New York City social worker, en route to the Yale Divinity School.

He and Beverly had three daughters by 1960, when he earned his degree and became a minister in the Presbyterian Church and the United Church of Christ. But Ralph got frustrated when he found his sense of "social justice" too rigorous for his congregation.

He had been drinking, and the problem greatly intensified after 1964, when his oldest daughter died and he left the ministry. (Though, according to the Desert Sun, he discovered the Spirit of the Desert Presbyterian Fellowship.)

A chance visit to an acting class hooked him, and Waite took jobs ranging from religious book editor at Harper & Row to bartender while he searched for parts. Slowly he made a name Off-Broadway, particularly with Joe Papp's company, then began to land movie roles, including Five Easy Pieces (as Jack Nicholson's brother).

Besides acting, Waite also tried politics, unsuccessfully running for Congress as a Democrat three times in the district near his desert home.

He and Beverly were divorced in 1969. He was then married to Kerry Shear, from 1977 to 1981. He and the former Linda East wed in 1982. Besides two survived daughters, he also leaves a stepson, Liam Waite, who is an actor.

Ralph Waite, Patriarch of The Waltons, Dies at 85 - Death, Tributes, The Waltons, Ralph Waite : People.com

He was also the "dad" of Leroy Jethro Gibbs, of NCIS.

Sad.

He was a pretty good actor.

EDIT:

I see the Gibbs' father thing was noted before I hit "submit."

:( RIP

I knew there would be a third. Maybe this will be the last one for awhile. All those I grew up watching and still watch are dying off. Won't be much longer for the rest of us, eh?

Oh, man. Did I have a crush on him back in the day.

My favorite scene was when John got angry at his wife because he feels closer to God out fishing on the lake than he ever did in church.

Sad news !! But I could go my whole life without watching that show again. They used to watch it at my last job quite a bit.

Sent from my iPhone using the tears of Raider's fans.

First one didn't count. The others were from living a full life and to an old age.

is that the new rule about celebrities dying in 3's?......

News to me!

But completely OT: did you see the new Harry is coming out May 27th?

Skin Game to be released May 27th! | Jim Butcher

yea....but i wait until the paperback comes out.....which will be next year....i just wish HBO or Showtime or Starz would redo that half assed series Syfi did....and do it right this time....

is that the new rule about celebrities dying in 3's?......

News to me!

But completely OT: did you see the new Harry is coming out May 27th?

Skin Game to be released May 27th! | Jim Butcher

yea....but i wait until the paperback comes out.....which will be next year....i just wish HBO or Showtime or Starz would redo that half assed series Syfi did....and do it right this time....

I loved the guy playing Harry, but too many other missteps aka Bob and Murphy.

Anyone remember Ralph Waite in Cool Hand Luke? He was sent to spend a 'night in the box' for backsassing. The box crushed his spirit and showed Paul Newman's title character to be a strong leader.

And [MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION], there's a scene showing Ralph's butt in Cool Hand Luke!

Anyone remember Ralph Waite in Cool Hand Luke? He was sent to spend a 'night in the box' for backsassing. The box crushed his spirit and showed Paul Newman's title character to be a strong leader.

And [MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION], there's a scene showing Ralph's butt in Cool Hand Luke!

/covers eyes

But he's a minister!!!

Oh, the humanity. :(

/covers eyes

But he's a minister!!!

He was on the chain gang in Cool Hand Luke! A felon. A bad boy.

/covers eyes

But he's a minister!!!

He was on the chain gang in Cool Hand Luke! A felon. A bad boy.

Maybe I'll have to watch it again. I only remember seeing Mr. Newman.

Forum List

Back