Why ‘House of Cards” view of government rings true

Kevin_Kennedy

Defend Liberty
Aug 27, 2008
Forty years ago this year, Richard Nixon resigned from office. He was pushed by his political enemies but there was the substantial issue of crime and cover up. The whole event was seen as America’s great loss of innocence, which can only mean that people must have been ridiculously naive about government to be shocked about any of these disclosures.

The whole of “Watergate” strikes us all as rather quaint, doesn’t it?

Was this the beginning of the long fall of the moral status of government in general? Perhaps. Take a look at the theme of the gigantically popular show “House of Cards” on Netflix. The first season painted the grimmest possible picture of daily life in Congress. There are no principles. There is no morality. There are no ideals. There are only interests and power. Everything is subterfuge.

What’s strange about the show — season two opens this Sunday — is how believable it all is. The environmental lobbying group is secretly shilling for a corrupt corporate welfare client. The education bill is nothing but a collection of special interest favors — and no one is quite sure what’s in it. Appointments are made not on merit but on connections. Even the public scandals are entirely manufactured to serve some purpose.

Why 'House of Cards'' view of government rings true | The Daily Caller

This was exactly my impression as I watched the first season of the show. There is no question that it depicts a very bleak reality wherein our "public servants" are essentially nothing more than power hungry sociopaths.

Can't wait for season two.

I've just finished season two and I wonder if there will be a season 3. This is really good stuff, I rarely watch any video. I got season 1 from the library and I had to track down season 2 on DVD because I was just fascinated.

I'm brand new here, working toward my 15 posts, so I hope I put this somewhere useful.

Well they've already announced season three will happen, and I don't know how you got season two on DVD since it hasn't been released yet.

I see this show lasting a long time, strictly based off the popularity and how successful this endeavor was for the whole Netflix seen as a whole. This was by far the most popular Netflix exclusive show so far.

I finished Season Two a few days ago and all I can say is WOW!

But if pressed, I would also say that FU isn't as evil as I thought throughout the entire run.

And even at his MOST evil, and that is really pretty damn bad, one can look at how everything turned out and feel there was SOME sense of it all being worth while.

Sorta.

It's too damn bad that we can't discuss the details of the show without giving up the spoilers.

Hey, wait a minute!

This is exactly what the yellow triangular caution sign icon is for.

Doug Stamper gets killed.

I finished Season Two a few days ago and all I can say is WOW!

But if pressed, I would also say that FU isn't as evil as I thought throughout the entire run.

And even at his MOST evil, and that is really pretty damn bad, one can look at how everything turned out and feel there was SOME sense of it all being worth while.

Sorta.

It's too damn bad that we can't discuss the details of the show without giving up the spoilers.

Hey, wait a minute!

This is exactly what the yellow triangular caution sign icon is for.

Doug Stamper gets killed.

Well you must have thought he was pretty evil then, because I personally don't see how he could get much worse. :lol:

I've just finished season two and I wonder if there will be a season 3. This is really good stuff, I rarely watch any video. I got season 1 from the library and I had to track down season 2 on DVD because I was just fascinated.

I'm brand new here, working toward my 15 posts, so I hope I put this somewhere useful.

Well they've already announced season three will happen, and I don't know how you got season two on DVD since it hasn't been released yet.

Its on NETFLICKS

Forum List

Back