Question mainly for men who are married or cohabitating with a woman

If your wife or girlfriend is offered a promotion and she would make more than you, should she

• Turn it down. I am the breadwinner.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take it, but it will bother me.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Take it! More for the household.

Votes: 26 92.9%
  • She shouldn't be working at all.

Votes: 2 7.1%

• Total voters

WinterBorn

Diamond Member
Nov 18, 2011
Atlanta
If your spouse or partner were offered a job or a promotion in which she would make more than you, is that a problem? If so, why?

If your spouse or partner were offered a job or a promotion in which she would make more than you, is that a problem? If so, why?

There are plenty of other ways my ego can be bruised by my wife, at least this one comes with a tangible benefit.

We would do like we did when I was offered a promotion that required that we relocate. We would decide what is best for the family. As an engineer I made more money than my school teacher wife so that usually determined our location. It was never an issue with my wife. If the roles had been reversed it would not have been an issue with me.

My older son is successful in his own right being a Finance Director. However, is wife is more successful than he is. She makes like several times as much money as a CFO than he does.

They have had to move a couple of times for her job. It was no big deal..

More money coming into the household

Why would anyone have a problem with that. I would be thrilled for her

You know, I've never had a problem with women being successful, even if they are more successful than I am.

I have lived with my roomie (a woman) for over 10 years, and there have been times she has made more than me, there have been times I've made more than her. But, it really doesn't matter, because we are a team. If she gets a promotion, I'm thrilled for her. Why? Because it means that the home life has been good enough for her to thrive, and that kinda reflects back positive on me as well.

I voted take it the more for the household, but let me guess you are a woman. The correct choice would have been take it and pocket your win. We guys rarely expect a woman to push us through.

I can speak for IAM.... No problem but unless I start my own business, not going to happen

I used to date (in the California sense) and know (in the Biblical sense) a lady who was a city deputy prosecutor and she made more than me and the sex was still great.

When my wife first moved in I gave her a few credit cards to use and told her she can quit her job so that we could spend more time together. She's a full time medical student and was also working 30 - 35 hrs/week at Kroger stocking shelves. That left very little time for romance.

Last edited:
married to the same man for 35 plus years...when we were young we really struggled....so all that has ever mattered to us was getting the bills paid and putting what we could back...the only time that things got hicky was when he was working for me..not a good combo...other than that...more money more money

Forum List

Back