Question about Trade

Can't buy your products because of regulation in the recipient country is at least an extremely close second.
I really doubt it. If the Japanese really wanted our cars, for example, they would demand them rather than be abused by a protected local industry but certainly I hope Trump opens up some of these markets more than they are..

Trade deficits are a sign of a strong dollar.

Dekster, annual trade deficits indicate their nation’s GDPs were less than otherwise and unless they enjoyed full employment, their numbers of jobs were less than otherwise; (otherwise being if they had not experienced the trade deficit that year).

Respectfully, Supposn

The regulatory blockades to selling in China work better than tariff walls to deter sales there.

Go bank to your ECO 101 textbook from college. The basic equation contains four components:

C-S= net consumption, consumption-savings. trying to stimulate this creates bubbles and that does nobody any good except the politically connected.

G-T= net government spending. Stimulating this leads to inflation and can lead to social and political collapse

X-M=exports-imports. This is one of two big Job and greater paychecks.

Investment

the US is the largest buyer of used but usable capital equipment and that accounts for most real growth in the US relative to the rest of the world since 1958. Trade pacts are simply a way to keep our allies sweet while we enjoy this advantage at their expense, this economic appeasement policy is defective.

William the Wie & Dekster, annual trade deficits indicate their nation’s GDPs were less than otherwise and unless they enjoyed full employment, their numbers of jobs were less than otherwise; (otherwise being if they had not experienced the trade deficit that year).

USA’s annual trade deficits are primarily due to importing goods for personal consumption rather than our importing capital equipment or other goods for direct or indirect production support.

Even when we consider carbon fuels and foreign trade, if carbon fuel taxes paid their full share of taxes, we’d consume much less of them.

Respectfully, Supposn

I have a question about our re-negotiation of trade deals with our neighbors.

I first will state that I think Trump has been an unmitigated disaster. Anyone who reads my posts would know this but I didn’t want anyone to think I was being coy.

In that spirit, I am asking what I think is a serious question concerning the re-negotiation of our Trade Deals. I am not sure why we would want to do that.

One thing has been vividly clear over the past 30-50 years. Our standard of living is such that our producers and their employees have to make more money than something produced in the third world. If we tear up the trade deals and say we want to re-work it; that frees up our trading partners to go shopping elsewhere, right?

If we can be so easily undercut; why would they still buy from us?

The best place to start learning about trade is read The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.

Last edited:
The best place to start learning about trade is read The Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith.

XBand, I’m not an isolationist and I’m not opposed to our global trade. I’m and proponent of the “import certificates” proposal described within Wikipedia. It’s not pure free trade but it’s certainly pure competitive enterprises.

Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation’s GDPs. This may be less the case if the annual trade deficits were due to importing production supporting products, but that’s not USA’s case.

Commercial net interests generally, but not always coincide with that of their nation. Many laws and regulations are due to our recognizing and prohibiting practices detrimental to our society and/or our economy.

Respectfully, Supposn

XBand, I’m not an isolationist and I’m not opposed to our global trade. I’m and proponent of the “import certificates” proposal described within Wikipedia. It’s not pure free trade but it’s certainly pure competitive enterprises.

Annual trade deficits are always net detrimental to their nation’s GDPs. This may be less the case if the annual trade deficits were due to importing production supporting products, but that’s not USA’s case.

Commercial net interests generally, but not always coincide with that of their nation. Many laws and regulations are due to our recognizing and prohibiting practices detrimental to our society and/or our economy.

Respectfully, Supposn

Best Regards, xband

XBand, I’m not an isolationist and I’m not opposed to our global trade. I’m and proponent of the “import certificates”
just another name for protecting and crippling our businesses so they will become increasingly less and less competitive and the American people poorer and poorer. Don't let supposin trick you with BS

Dekster, annual trade deficits indicate their nation’s GDPs were less than otherwise and unless they enjoyed full employment, their numbers of jobs were less than otherwise; (otherwise being if they had not experienced the trade deficit that year).

Respectfully, Supposn

Bananas do not grow in New York.

Respectfully, Supposn

You have trade deficits when nobody wants to trade for the high-priced junk that you make

Respectfully, Supposn

You have trade deficits when nobody wants to trade for the high-priced junk that you make

Unless they need it.

I have a question about our re-negotiation of trade deals with our neighbors.

I first will state that I think Trump has been an unmitigated disaster. Anyone who reads my posts would know this but I didn’t want anyone to think I was being coy.

In that spirit, I am asking what I think is a serious question concerning the re-negotiation of our Trade Deals. I am not sure why we would want to do that.

One thing has been vividly clear over the past 30-50 years. Our standard of living is such that our producers and their employees have to make more money than something produced in the third world. If we tear up the trade deals and say we want to re-work it; that frees up our trading partners to go shopping elsewhere, right?

i will trade three homeless illegals for you.

I have a question about our re-negotiation of trade deals with our neighbors. ...
... I am asking what I think is a serious question concerning the re-negotiation of our Trade Deals. I am not sure why we would want to do that.

CandyCorn, the short answer to your question is that renegotiation of our USA trade agreements would not be, and USA unilaterally adopting the Import Certificate policy would be a remedy for USA's chronic annual trade deficits of goods.
Refer to Wikipedia's "Import Certificates" article.

USA very often cannot effectively compete with modern foreign production and lower foreign labor wage rates. Hours of labor directly and indirectly devoted to goods are of some relationship to wage rates and affect the quality of those goods.
//////////////////////////////////////////////

After World War Two, national economies recovered and their production capacity was rebuilt. USA foreign aid assisted many nations to modernize their production capacity while USA policies have and continue to encourage foreign investment rather than maintaining and improving USA's capacity to compete. Today, much of our industrial production facilities and supporting infrastructures are now third rate or no longer exist.

[Federal corporate tax rates upon foreign earnings will now be half of what USA earnings are subject to. This would not be objectionable if USA adopted the trade policy described in Wikipedia's “Import Certificates” article.

I recall one comparatively small exception to these situations occurred after Sodom's Iraq troops were driven out of Kuwait and back to Baghdad. Kuwait's ruling and wealthy class was grateful for USA's leading role among the diplomatic and military coalitions of nations that rescued Kuwait. The military coalition included at very least some token and often some substantial Middle Eastern military equipment and troops, (which of course required that Israel not overtly participate). Kuwaitees did, and possibly continue to demonstrate their gratitude by their preferences for USA imported goods not due to monetary considerations.

Respectfully, Supposn

Forum List

Back