How much in debt are you.

brainsee

Jan 25, 2024
I was talking to my brother today. Who is a real Trumptard. We were talking about the national debt. He seemed to think that Trump could fix it. But we owe so much, it is impossible. Our trade deficit is around 34 trillion dollars. But the U.S. also has around another 200 trillion in unfunded obligations. To me, I don't see much difference between a debt and an obligation. So you may as well say that the U.S. is around 234 trillion in debt. There are around 335 million people in the U.S. That means that each person in the U.S. is in debt for around $698,000! Another problem with that is that there are only around 128 million working age adults in the U.S. Which would make paying off such an impossible figure even more impossible.

Also, there are varying estimates as to what our yearly trade imbalance is with China alone. I have seen estimates that ranged from 257 billion to about 420 billion. So each year we go even deeper into debt by that much just from "trade" with China. Which of course makes paying off such an impossible debt even more unlikely.

As you can guess from what I said earlier, I am definitely not a Trump supporter. But Biden's solution to this problem seems to be to let as many lowlife invaders from south of the border into the U.S. as he can. Maybe what we need is an amoral, psychopathic, would be dictator with delusions of grandeur as president. It seems to me that we couldn't do much worse.

I was talking to my brother today. Who is a real Trumptard. We were talking about the national debt. He seemed to think that Trump could fix it. But we owe so much, it is impossible. Our trade deficit is around 34 trillion dollars. But the U.S. also has around another 200 trillion in unfunded obligations. To me, I don't see much difference between a debt and an obligation. So you may as well say that the U.S. is around 234 trillion in debt. There are around 335 million people in the U.S. That means that each person in the U.S. is in debt for around $698,000! Another problem with that is that there are only around 128 million working age adults in the U.S. Which would make paying off such an impossible figure even more impossible.

Also, there are varying estimates as to what our yearly trade imbalance is with China alone. I have seen estimates that ranged from 257 billion to about 420 billion. So each year we go even deeper into debt by that much just from "trade" with China. Which of course makes paying off such an impossible debt even more unlikely.

As you can guess from what I said earlier, I am definitely not a Trump supporter. But Biden's solution to this problem seems to be to let as many lowlife invaders from south of the border into the U.S. as he can. Maybe what we need is an amoral, psychopathic, would be dictator with delusions of grandeur as president. It seems to me that we couldn't do much worse.
Welcome to the board. May I suggest that you not combine 4 or 5 different issues into one post that have nothing to do with your thread title.

Our trade deficit is around 34 trillion dollars.

National debt, not trade deficit.

But the U.S. also has around another 200 trillion in unfunded obligations. To me, I don't see much difference between a debt and an obligation.

One you're paying interest on.......

So you may as well say that the U.S. is around 234 trillion in debt.

You could say it. It wouldn't be very accurate.

There are around 335 million people in the U.S. That means that each person in the U.S. is in debt for around $698,000!

It also means that each person in the U.S. has an unfunded asset of around $597,000!

Wow, right off the bat throwing out insults in a ZONE 1 forum....Bye Bye...

It is presumed that as time goes by, interest on the National Debt will become so overwhelming that discretionary spending (most of which is unconstitutional in any event) will have to be dramatically reduced. Republicans see this as a good thing.

Inflation is also a good thing in this context. Inflation increases taxable income and FIT revenues without a tax increase. It could even result in a balanced budget, in theory.

The national debt is the ultimate example of "kick the can down the road." Just pay interest on the debt and hope that someone in the future will get a grip on it.

It is presumed that as time goes by, interest on the National Debt will become so overwhelming that discretionary spending (most of which is unconstitutional in any event) will have to be dramatically reduced. Republicans see this as a good thing.

Inflation is also a good thing in this context. Inflation increases taxable income and FIT revenues without a tax increase. It could even result in a balanced budget, in theory.

The national debt is the ultimate example of "kick the can down the road." Just pay interest on the debt and hope that someone in the future will get a grip on it.

Inflation is also a good thing in this context. Inflation increases taxable income and FIT revenues

Reagan adjusted the tax brackets for inflation.

We have no significant personal debt, the government finances do not operate like a household budget, and a chunk of that $34T is intergovernmental holdings which is about as real of debt as you giving yourself an IOU for a billion dollars. And since you brought up the topic, paying off the debt would seriously harm US exports and strip the dollar of its status as the defacto global currency.

House and vehicle are my primary debts, but if the entire country crashes, it really doesn't matter, does it?

Yep, Trump can deal with debt in four years... seeing as he DIDN'T DEAL WITH DEBT in the four years he had, in fact the debt got worse.

The solution to the problem, like most problems in the US, is to change the electoral system.

Both parties have failed. I simplified your argument.

Of course they failed. But that wasn't the main point of my thread. The point was hoe deep in debt are you. And I told you.

Forum List

Back