Public Schools Produce Dumb Kids

Na, I have several friends that are teachers they own/run businesses they could not with another type of job.
I know teachers that have other Summer jobs because the contract for educators is literally 9 months in many states and higher ed instutions. Meaning you literally do not collect a payched in the June, July, August period. Even with good budgeting it hurts to live out of savings for 2-3 months a year.

I don't know a single teacher that has, or could even manage to have, a business on the side during the school year. Most teachers I know are putting in 60+ hour weeks when you count the outside of the classroom work, i.e. writing lesson plans, grading, etc. A lot of folks outside teaching don't know this, but teachers in public schools have to turn in lesson plans ahead of time (usually about a week ahead) and they get outed pretty fast if they're resting on their laurels.
I guess it all depends on the person, some of the best off people I know are teachers. I know a few that retired before the age of 50. And now are still running their business they started while being a teacher Making bank. They could not have run those businesses with most other types of jobs.

Once again, you are comparing apples to oranges. These people you are talking about retired, which means they taught a long time ago and probably far, far away.

I barely make $50,000 a year with 20 years experience, and a good hunk of that goes into my retirement fund. My paycheck after all of the wonderful deductions is about $1500.00 twice a month. Well off? Not hardly.

I still make less than I did my last year in the Navy over 20 years ago, and I have a Master's degree so I get paid more.

I want to know what kind of business you can run while working 60+ hours a week for 10 months out of the year..
Most teachers do not work 60 hours a week, not even close and certainly do not work 10 months out of the year… fact
The plural of "anecdote" is not "data."

If you are a core content subject area teacher you might work even more than 60 hours a week. I spend a minimum of three hours each night writing lesson plans. I grade papers for about 6 hours each Sunday afternoon and evening .

The problem is that what you believe is based on zero evidence, while I work there every day. You don't.

In fact, this year, we will have to work on-line during snow days!
Michael Robertson: The Myth of the Underpaid Teacher

You know, for someone in the military to make what a teacher does for starting, they would have to be E-5 or E-6.

If they were to be in the average of 52,000 a year, they would have to be a Senior Chief (E-8) or higher.

You know, for someone in the military to make what a teacher does for starting, they would have to be E-5 or E-6.

If they were to be in the average of 52,000 a year, they would have to be a Senior Chief (E-8) or higher.

Military personnel should be paid much more than they are.

I know teachers that have other Summer jobs because the contract for educators is literally 9 months in many states and higher ed instutions. Meaning you literally do not collect a payched in the June, July, August period. Even with good budgeting it hurts to live out of savings for 2-3 months a year.

I don't know a single teacher that has, or could even manage to have, a business on the side during the school year. Most teachers I know are putting in 60+ hour weeks when you count the outside of the classroom work, i.e. writing lesson plans, grading, etc. A lot of folks outside teaching don't know this, but teachers in public schools have to turn in lesson plans ahead of time (usually about a week ahead) and they get outed pretty fast if they're resting on their laurels.
I guess it all depends on the person, some of the best off people I know are teachers. I know a few that retired before the age of 50. And now are still running their business they started while being a teacher Making bank. They could not have run those businesses with most other types of jobs.

Once again, you are comparing apples to oranges. These people you are talking about retired, which means they taught a long time ago and probably far, far away.

I barely make $50,000 a year with 20 years experience, and a good hunk of that goes into my retirement fund. My paycheck after all of the wonderful deductions is about $1500.00 twice a month. Well off? Not hardly.

I still make less than I did my last year in the Navy over 20 years ago, and I have a Master's degree so I get paid more.

I want to know what kind of business you can run while working 60+ hours a week for 10 months out of the year..
Most teachers do not work 60 hours a week, not even close and certainly do not work 10 months out of the year… fact

If you are a core content subject area teacher you might work even more than 60 hours a week. I spend a minimum of three hours each night writing lesson plans. I grade papers for about 6 hours each Sunday afternoon and evening .

The problem is that what you believe is based on zero evidence, while I work there every day. You don't.

I'm not saying that you don't, I'm saying the vast majority of teachers don't work 60 hours a week and certainly not 10 months out of the year… Fact

What is the source of this fact? I smells like fecal matter because you pulled it out of your ass.

You just outed yourself as a know-nothing blowhard.
Na, I have several friends that are teachers they own/run businesses they could not with another type of job.

They are a microscopic example in a vast sea of teachers for that to be true. Your experience is not the norm, if what you say is true, but unless they are PE teachers, there is no one with the time to do anything other than barely survive.

We get off in June. Hvae mandatory professional development training in July and go back to school the first week in August. Where is this "summer off" that you speak of?

You also probably do not realize that is UNPAID time off.
Out here they get over two months off, a friend of mine travels every year. Maybe the world is bigger than you think? Average salary here is 52k. And that's not for a full years work. Not bad money at all, especially with the bennies.

Your sniveling is pathetic. No wonder the kids are screwed up.

I have worked 20 years and I STILL don't make $52k. Get a dose of reality, will you?
Hey genius, I looked it up before posting.

Washington Teacher Salary | Teaching Salaries in WA | Teacher Portal
How do salaries grow in Washington?

Starting Salary: $36,335
Average Salary: $52,234

That's 5k a month. If that isn't enough money to live on something is wrong. If your pay is lower then the cost of living is likely lower. Many people would love to have your salary, retirement plan and bennies. Stop trying to rape the capitalists.

Hey genius, that is higher than the national average and your retirement comes out of that paycheck! Our retirement plan in Florida was so great it was based on a lousy salary and you could retire at 50% of that lousy salary after 30 years in the system. I get about $64.00 a month when I turn 63 after working there ten years. That's the mother lode for sure!!

Last edited:

I read your linked article for about 10 seconds before happening on this little turd in the punch bowl.

"Every district employee gets a guaranteed pension which when they retire will pay them 80-90% of their highest salary every year until they die."

That is simple drug-induced fantasy. Go play with your blocks and leave the discussion to those not under the influence of mind-altering substances.

Last edited:

How many E-5s or E-6s do you know with 6 years of college?

My daughter is an O-1 with a BS degree and brings home a couple of hundred less in her paycheck than I do with 20 years experience and a Master's..

I read yoru linked article for about 10 seconds before happening on this little turd in the punch bowl.

"Every district employee gets a guaranteed pension which when they retire will pay them 80-90% of their highest salary every year until they die."

That is simple drug-induced fantasy. Go play with your blocks and leave the discussion to those not under the influence of mind-altering substances.
I guess a verys from state to state, most teachers I know in South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado start at 7:45 done by 3:30...
And most teachers I know retire by the time they're in their mid-50s… And they basically get three months Straight off a year with every holiday possible off, and if that holiday lands on the weekend they get either the Friday before or the Monday off after a paid holiday. Three weeks sick pay a year, and you can build that up and retire early...

I read yoru linked article for about 10 seconds before happening on this little turd in the punch bowl.

I guess a verys from state to state, most teachers I know in South Dakota, Wyoming, Colorado start at 7:45 done by 3:30...
And most teachers I know retire by the time they're in their mid-50s… And they basically get three months Straight off a year with every holiday possible off, and if that holiday lands on the weekend they get either the Friday before or the Monday off after a paid holiday. Three weeks sick pay a year, and you can build that up and retire early...

Once again, you are talking out of your ass.

I get paid holidays for Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, MLK's Birthday, President's Day (and it gets swallowed by snow days almost every year) and that's it! So what is this fantasy you are promoting?

My school starts at 7:45, but I have to be there an hour early to make sure everything required to be posted is done, computers are booted up and all of my web pages are up, copies made, and lesson plans printed out. In the afternoon, students are released at 2:45 and we are free to leave at 3:15, unless we have tutoring for an hour (3 days per week), faculty meetings, required professional development training, parent-teacher conferences, and any other numerous reasons. I usually stay until at least 4:00 almost every day. I write lesson plans at night for a minimum of two hours plus grade papers 2-3 nights a week for anywhere from 2-5 hours.

We work from late July to early June every year. All other time off is unpaid.

I am 56 years old and I can retire at the age of 67. Sick time can be sold at retirement for pennies on the dollar. Most states did away with that years ago, I'll bet yours did too.

Your information is either dated, biased, or simply not true.

:lmao:

Admiral, if teaching is so easy and great then those whiners crying about it would be a teacher. But they know reality says they would have to give up their earning potential to become one. Youy would never hear them complain about a CEO that works 20 hours per week making 5 million a year. Its easier to whine and cry like a little girl about a teacher who makes 40 grand per year. It isn't teachers raping capiutaliusts, its capitalists raping the middle class. What a complete farce. What you crybabies want is someone to teach your filthy spaewn for free. Admit it.

Admiral, if teaching is so easy and great then those whiners crying about it would be a teacher. But they know reality says they would have to give up their earning potential to become one. Youy would never hear them complain about a CEO that works 20 hours per week making 5 million a year. Its easier to whine and cry like a little girl about a teacher who makes 40 grand per year. It isn't teachers raping capiutaliusts, its capitalists raping the middle class. What a complete farce. What you crybabies want is someone to teach your filthy spaewn for free. Admit it.

Guess you missed out on that.

Missed out on what? I am defending teachers. I could never do that job and many good ones get a bad rap. 50 grand is PEANUTS today. Hard to survive on that comfortably. My daughter is one. She makes about 55 grand after 25 years. That makes her rich.

I get paid holidays for Labor Day, Thanksgiving Day, Christmas Day, New Year's Day, MLK's Birthday, President's Day (and it gets swallowed by snow days almost every year) and that's it! So what is this fantasy you are promoting?

My school starts at 7:45, but I have to be there an hour early to make sure everything required to be posted is done, computers are booted up and all of my web pages are up, copies made, and lesson plans printed out. In the afternoon, students are released at 2:45 and we are free to leave at 3:15, unless we have tutoring for an hour (3 days per week), faculty meetings, required professional development training, parent-teacher conferences, and any other numerous reasons. I usually stay until at least 4:00 almost every day. I write lesson plans at night for a minimum of two hours plus grade papers 2-3 nights a week for anywhere from 2-5 hours.

I am 56 years old and I can retire at the age of 67. Sick time can be sold at retirement for pennies on the dollar. Most states did away with that years ago, I'll bet yours did too.

You're teaching in the wrong state then, none of what you say happens in the states that I listed. Fact

Rustic here is your chance to become rich.....become a teacher. And remember don't be jealous of success.

Missed out on what? I am defending teachers. I could never do that job and many good ones get a bad rap. 50 grand is PEANUTS today. Hard to survive on that comfortably. My daughter is one. She makes about 55 grand after 25 years. That makes her rich.

The kids in school are NOT "filthy spaewn," [sic] they are individuals who deserve an opportunity like everyone else.

You're teaching in the wrong state then, none of what you say happens in the states that I listed. Fact

OK. Post links to the pay scales for every district in your state and those you mentioned.

I would never teach in a liberal infested, pothead state like Washington. People up there don't know the difference in "varies" and "verys", which isn't even a word.

The kids in school are NOT "filthy spaewn," [sic] they are individuals who deserve an opportunity like everyone else.

Forum List

Back