Public high school and Muslim football players

Si modo

Diamond Member
Sep 9, 2009
Fairfax, Virginia
Here's an interesting story: At Fordson High, in Dearborn, they made practices start at 11PM during Ramadan so the players (a mostly Muslim community) would have full stomachs and be able to rehydrate without breaking their religious practices during that time.

It's a public school.

I wonder if they disallow Christians to pray before, during, or after a game?

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/11/sp...pagewanted=all

So, is this an establishment issue, too? What about safety for the players?

Seems like a hard call.

(If the link doesn't work (I just tested it and it says you have to subscribe), copy and paste this into the address bar and it comes up: http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/11/s...ompetitive-during-ramadan.html?pagewanted=all)

Last edited:
o get rgs to tell you about muslims not playing football

if the whole team votes on it and agrees....they can hydrate at night but i wonder how healthy playing games during the day against opposing teams is gonna go....they can only change their practice times but not game times....i have zero clue when footballs games start or end....i think anyone letting their child engage in football is a damned fool...who doesnt understand the impact the head injuries have over time..and the growth plates that are not fully developed....

in reality i just see it as more adults willing to sacrifice their kids for footballs

i assure you football is more important in the usa than religion......

and its sure more important than their kids health

I'm all for safety of the kids during sports. And, most of the kids who play (but, not all) are practicing Muslims.

So, the school - a public high school - changes their practices, a tax-payer supported sport, to accommodate the Muslim players.

I suppose the establishment clause allows for reasonable accommodation of religions in public school, but I am asking myself what makes this any less an "establishment" than players praying before, during, or after a game?

is this the team on 'all american muslims'

deerborn michigan?

i wished all religion would be taken out of schools....all of it....period

is this the team on 'all american muslims'

deerborn michigan?

i wished all religion would be taken out of schools....all of it....period
I'm with you there, but this (to me, at least) seems like a hard call. The safety of the kids playing is an issue.

But, fairness is also an issue.

So, since most of the kids are practicing, should they scrap the football program because they can't safely practice during that time? And, if they don't practice and keep their schedule, their program is scrapped for all practical purposes.

I don't have an answer, thus my thread.

it is amazing what kids will do to stay with the team.......play hurt etc..

kids safety if a hard call at any given time.....but coaches should err on the side of safety

i am pretty sure this is the team on 'all american muslims'

there aint a christian in sight at the football practices.....(i really dont know) but its in a mostly if not all muslims area.....who knew they existed....and the coach is a rather egotistic jerk if you ask me....

try to catch the show.....it will amaze you in ways

i have zero clue when footballs games start or end....i think anyone letting their child engage in football is a damned fool

Pretty obvious by that comment you're a woman. If every kid in this country were raised by mothers with that hard headed view we'd have a nation full of men who are effeminate wimps.

I'm all for safety of the kids during sports. And, most of the kids who play (but, not all) are practicing Muslims.

So, the school - a public high school - changes their practices, a tax-payer supported sport, to accommodate the Muslim players.

I suppose the establishment clause allows for reasonable accommodation of religions in public school, but I am asking myself what makes this any less an "establishment" than players praying before, during, or after a game?

That schedule would suck balls if there were any Christians on that team, but there doesn't seem to be.

o get rgs to tell you about muslims not playing football

if the whole team votes on it and agrees....they can hydrate at night but i wonder how healthy playing games during the day against opposing teams is gonna go....they can only change their practice times but not game times....i have zero clue when footballs games start or end....i think anyone letting their child engage in football is a damned fool...who doesnt understand the impact the head injuries have over time..and the growth plates that are not fully developed....

in reality i just see it as more adults willing to sacrifice their kids for footballs

i assure you football is more important in the usa than religion......

and its sure more important than their kids health

You are a fucking loony tunes. It was a JOKE, footballs have not been made of Pigskin in YEARS. But you keep it up you loser. Remind us again how you support people that call for us to shoot cops.

That schedule would suck balls if there were any Christians on that team, but there doesn't seem to be.
I think there are. In the NYT article, they quote some guy with an Italian-sounding name and one guy with a name of anglo-origin. It doesn't necessarily mean they are not Muslim, but I think they aren't Muslim, based on the quotes.

Although Dearborn is mostly Muslim, there are a good amount of Polish and Italian Catholics there (I lived in the Detroit area for some time).

While the REASON for the change is because of religion of the ENTIRE team. It is not per say a question of separation of Church and State. As far as I know no prayers are lead by the coaching staff, no religious activity occurs on the practice field except by individual players and religion is only brought up in the sense that for safety purposes the times had to be moved.

So long as the students are not being given special treatment based on religion no establishment cause exists.

And there are plenty of public schools with an entirely Christian student population. Does that mean they are allowed to hold morning prayer sessions? :dunno:

I think there are. In the NYT article, they quote some guy with an Italian-sounding name and one guy with a name of anglo-origin. It doesn't necessarily mean they are not Muslim, but I think they aren't Muslim, based on the quotes.

Although Dearborn is mostly Muslim, there are a good amount of Polish and Italian Catholics there (I lived in the Detroit area for some time).

I have been to Dearborn Michigan, many moons ago, I lived in Indiana as a boy on the Michigan border and I went up there one time and ate an Arabic restaurant, the food was quite good, the area was predominantly Arab and Muslim from what I saw at the time.

I have been to Dearborn Michigan, many moons ago, I lived in Indiana as a boy on the Michigan border and I went up there one time and ate an Arabic restaurant, the food was quite good, the area was predominantly Arab and Muslim from what I saw at the time.
The Region? Or, more country?

All that is my old stomping grounds.

And there are plenty of public schools with an entirely Christian student population. Does that mean they are allowed to hold morning prayer sessions? :dunno:
Bingo. This is what has me not being able to find some sort of conviction on this.

In this case while Religion is the culprit for the change in practice it is NOT FOR religious reasons. It is for safety reasons. There is no religious activity occurring on the field except possibly by individual students. Practice was not moved specifically for a religious activity, prayer meeting, prayer breakfast or any other organized religious reason.

It is simply a matter of fact that during Ramadan the devout Muslims fast. And in order to keep the players safe and healthy a change in practice4 had to occur.

Bingo. This is what has me not being able to find some sort of conviction on this.

You are looking at it wrong. The move was NOT for any religious meeting, function, procession, prayer or any organized religious activity. It was simply for the safety and health of the majority of the student athletes.

Forum List

Back