Proving rape using social media?

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AmyNation, Jan 4, 2013.

1. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Defense battles social media blizzard in Ohio rape case - CNN.com

Apparently a large part of the evidence in this case, are the various things posted by party guests. Pics of the girl naked, tweets by people at the party joking about her being raped, there is even rumor of a video of the rape(although at this point it's just a rumor).

An entire party of teenagers, who instead of helping the girl who's passed out, stood around and watched or snapped pics.

This case is extra distrubing for me, being as its so close to my home town :/

2. JakeStarkey

JakeStarkey Diamond Member Supporting Member

Top Poster Of Month

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +32,369
    Public domain. Allow the evidence. After conviction, the victim has a civil claims case against every member at the party who failed to help her. Serves em right.

3. AngelsNDemons

AngelsNDemons USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,775
    It is disturbing...that those teens stood around and actually WATCHED and DID NOTHING...nothing but take pix and apparently a video and laugh...sadly sickening.

Yes, they are just the same at fault as the actual attackers are.

Unreal.

4. wavingrl

wavingrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +197
    yes.

The defense attorney was quoted as saying, 'It might be difficult for my clients to get a fair trial...'

I know I wouldn't be selected as a juror for this trial. I haven't heard that much and have formed an opinion that isn't likely to change.

It is difficult to imagine the type of people who would be capable of objectivity.

5. neomalthusian

neomalthusian Agnostic Prognosticator

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15
    Even as minors?

6. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    There are 3 separate parties full of witnesses, who claim the 2 boys, carried the passed out girl party to party, raping her, taking pics of her, exposing her to people, forcig her to have oral sex, and even urinating on her at one point. 3 parties full of people, and no one did anything but tweet about it.

7. wavingrl

wavingrl Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +197
    One resident of Steubenville expressed concern that the town's reputation had been damaged. It has. I know it is 'not everyone'.

There was a teenage party a few years ago in Atlanta where some sort of fight was started by 2 girls. Some guys decided that the next man that walked by would receive a beating. A small framed man was savagely beaten and later died. It took a couple of years in court but the guilty parties finally received justice.

Teen beating death: Fatal party began small, grew out of control | www.ajc.com

8. CaféAuLait

CaféAuLait This Space for Rent

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,323
    Sorry I am not trying to derail your thread but this reminds me of the poor woman in India. I just read today that the YOUNGEST of the rapists, who is a juvenile, ripped her intestines out, during the attack. This woman suffered greatly.

These gang rape cases keep getting worse and worse, I had not even read about the one you are speaking about above. People can say "not in this country' but it happens everywhere as evidenced by your story. So sickening.

9. syrenn

syrenn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,403
    Very disturbing indeed. I think the boys should be tired as adults and every single person at the parties charged as an accessory.

I am wondering where the parents were during the parties that were held in their homes?

10. thereisnospoon

thereisnospoon Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,387
    Today's young people are frighteningly lacking in the area of self respect and respect for others.