Proving rape using social media?

The most shocking part of this case for me, is not anything the boys did, but the party guests of 3 different parties. I can't imagine snapping a pic or tweeting about her being raped, but doing nothing for this girl. It's incomprehensible to me.

Another example of stupid criminal behavior

Used to be you covered it up....now you post it on the Internet

mmmm

Clearly I have no frame of reference. It 'used to be' that opportunities for this sort incident did not exist.

As close as I can come to a comparison is the lifestyle featured in 'Saturday Night Fever'.

mmmm

Clearly I have no frame of reference. It 'used to be' that opportunities for this sort incident did not exist.

As close as I can come to a comparison is the lifestyle featured in 'Saturday Night Fever'.

Raping drunk women has always existed

Posting pictures for all your friends is a new phenomenon.

mmmm

Teenagers attending parties where alcohol was served has not been widely accepted in GA and not likely to become widely accepted. I am certain that in some circles it goes on.

What excuse the adults involved might offer I can't say. I can't imagine that the legal drinking age in Ohio is under 18 but clearly there is much that I don't know.

She wasn't only drunk. She had been drugged as well. One of the reasons Anonymous gave for publicizing this video is because the authorities were refusing to prosecute the football players because football is a VERY big deal in this community and the team is award winning.

Actually raping drunk WOMEN might have always existed, raping CHILDREN hasn't always existed. The girl was only 16. This particular rape is the same kind of act that shocks the conscience as the rape of the girl on the bus who recently died of her injuries. Like this rape, that rape was also committed in the name of having fun and the most cruel and barbaric offender was a teenage boy.

She wasn't only drunk. She had been drugged as well. One of the reasons Anonymous gave for publicizing this video is because the authorities were refusing to prosecute the football players because football is a VERY big deal in this community and the team is award winning.

Actually raping drunk WOMEN might have always existed, raping CHILDREN hasn't always existed. The girl was only 16. This particular rape is the same kind of act that shocks the conscience as the rape of the girl on the bus who recently died of her injuries. Like this rape, that rape was also committed in the name of having fun and the most cruel and barbaric offender was a teenage boy.

eh--Cognitive dissonance.

It was stated that this town is located near Pittsburgh and West VA. A town that is declining, etc. Presumably the more affluent families condone things that would not be widely accepted.

One outcome may be that there will not be many teenage parties in that town this year. Sounds good to me.

Rural southern evangelical youth are fully capable of doing this as well, given an opportunity where the parents are watching or do not care. The evangelical and muslim and jewish youth generation think the older mores concerning racism, sexism, and sexual prohibition generally do not apply to them.

Ask the kids in your church, and if they are being truthful, they will tell you about the "other" kids in their grades at school and what they are doing.

You may be amazed.
mmmm

Teenagers attending parties where alcohol was served has not been widely accepted in GA and not likely to become widely accepted. I am certain that in some circles it goes on.

What excuse the adults involved might offer I can't say. I can't imagine that the legal drinking age in Ohio is under 18 but clearly there is much that I don't know.

There are 3 separate parties full of witnesses, who claim the 2 boys, carried the passed out girl party to party, raping her, taking pics of her, exposing her to people, forcig her to have oral sex, and even urinating on her at one point. 3 parties full of people, and no one did anything but tweet about it.

Very disturbing indeed. I think the boys should be tired as adults and every single person at the parties charged as an accessory.

I am wondering where the parents were during the parties that were held in their homes?
I agree, I think they are old enough to be tried as adults. While I tend to disagree a lot with trying children as adults, I'd say anyone over the age of 16 is fair game.

yep, and what they did was no childs crime either..... they knew what they were doing was wrong...

as far as i am concerned.... GOOD! Its better that they boasted about it then having it all covering it up for them...

now they will have to pay for their crimes instead of getting away with it!

The most shocking part of this case for me, is not anything the boys did, but the party guests of 3 different parties. I can't imagine snapping a pic or tweeting about her being raped, but doing nothing for this girl. It's incomprehensible to me.

There are a lot of psychological issues going on here.

The girls would not want to risk stopping it becasue of fear the animals might turn on them.

The boys were under pressure to go along with the crowd.

I find the lack of empathy disturbing. Its one thing not stopping it.... its something else laughing and taking pics.

Rural southern evangelical youth are fully capable of doing this as well, given an opportunity where the parents are watching or do not care. The evangelical and muslim and jewish youth generation think the older mores concerning racism, sexism, and sexual prohibition generally do not apply to them.

Ask the kids in your church, and if they are being truthful, they will tell you about the "other" kids in their grades at school and what they are doing.

You may be amazed.

Actually I am amazed that many more such incidents have not made headline news.

What may be going on from sea to shining sea disturbs me.

So many details are disturbing,,, but the one for which I can not for the life of me grasp is the transporting of her from one place to another. That takes some serious anti-social personality types.

Well, there was a lot of cover up in this case. As soon as people realized the boys were in trouble they started deleting the tweets and pics and vids of that night. Luckily a few people started copying and saving as much as possible.

So many details are disturbing,,, but the one for which I can not for the life of me grasp is the transporting of her from one place to another. That takes some serious anti-social personality types.

that is the one that also disturbs me the most!

Well, there was a lot of cover up in this case. As soon as people realized the boys were in trouble they started deleting the tweets and pics and vids of that night. Luckily a few people started copying and saving as much as possible.

hard copy will always bite you in the ass!

And they were apparently secure in the knowledge that they could take her to all these places and no one would object to how they brutalized her.

This type of crime used to be a dirty little secret. It was rarely considered rape and if prosecuted, was looked at as a girl asking for it. Girls who could not handle their alcohol should expect the worst.

What is different was the brazen openness of the rape. The crowd cheering it on and filming it. They posted it as a way to humiliate the victim further not to catch the perpetrators.

And they were apparently secure in the knowledge that they could take her to all these places and no one would object to how they brutalized her.

it did not have anything to do with the idea of anyone objecting at the party they were at or the other parties they took her too....

the problem is they felt safe enough to do the deed in the first place. That took some planning if they drugged her first... they had to procure the drug..and then pick the victim. The only person they cared about objecting was the one they drugged into submission.

hopefuly the only football these people ever get to play again is in a prison yard.

As I listened to the campaign speeches I realized how little I know of what life may be like in other areas.

I began to feel very fortunate for whatever has gone on in my community--a city of 5,000,000 and crime statistics to rival many other cities.

Either we are 'punishing' offenders effectively or there are enough people who would be outraged and demand 'that something be done' --I don't know. Some are as affluent as the A list in LA--certain that the potential for tragedy exists there and at the other end of the spectrum as well.

~~~~~~~
Steubenville has launched a website to provide updates

http://steubenvillefacts.squarespace.com/

Last edited:

I don't know if this information is already in this thread, but I was reading more about this case and found this too:

OH Bar Association: Disbar Jane Hanlin for Misconduct

http://www.change.org/petitions/oh-...utm_medium=email&utm_source=supporter_message

It is said that some of this occured in her home and one of the people in that room was also accepted into the police force. So it is not just the football supposed coverup but it also includes the fact that police canidates were involved and this girl may have been raped at the Prosecuting Attorney's home.

Forum List

Back