Proud Mom

Againsheila

Gold Member
Nov 1, 2008
Federal Way WA
Yes, I have two autistic kids on both ends of the spectrum.

My oldest, at the age of 24, finally started college this last fall. He's now on the Dean's list. Yep, I told everyone in Vegas, I thought I ought to tell everyone here..okay, forget the "ought" I feel a need to tell everyone I can....

My son is on the Dean's List.

Yippie......:clap2:

My oldest, at the age of 24, finally started college this last fall. He's now on the Dean's list. Yep, I told everyone in Vegas, I thought I ought to tell everyone here..okay, forget the "ought" I feel a need to tell everyone I can....

That is cool!

I know it is not the same thing but they ran this story on my local news about this kids with downs who has been the high school bball team assistant and I believe waterboy for a few years now and they let him practice with the team. The other night they let him play a varsity game, he even made a few shots and a 3 pointer to win the game.
It just shows if given the right tools these kids can do anything that so called normal kids and adults can do!

That's awesome As. I know how you feel. Although my son isn't autistic, he made the National Deans List for Graphic Design. A virtual genius at that, but lacking in common sense, just like his uncle John, my deceased brother. Two peas in a pod. My son is my brother reincarnate.

You must be a great, supportive mother As. My hats off to ya... :)

Is it full on autism, or is it Asperger's or something? I think the capacities of the autistic are dreadfully undervalued by far too many people.

My oldest, the one on the Dean's List, has Asperger's. Public school was h*ll on him and he's now getting his self respect back. I've told him all his life how smart he was but I guess some of his public school teachers and of course the kids <his social skills are really bad> convinced him otherwise. After the first 8 week period at Devry, when he came home and told me he got all A's, he said, "gee, mom, I guess you're right, I really am smart."

I was watching Grey's Anatomy last night and they have a doctor on there with autism, I think she is suppose to have aspergers. I thought it was cool even though it is Grey's that they are showing even with autism you can still become a doctor or whatever you want.

Autism Speaks, Be Informed, What is Autism, An Overview

I teach some students with autism. The third grade girl reads on a sixth grade level, but still can't add past 99. Others are great in math, but struggle with reading. Others in another classroom are non-verbal, and are learning daily living skills.

That's why it's called the Autism Spectrum Disorder, there are many kinds of people, just like the many colors in the rainbow.

That's great about your son Sheila!

CONGRATULATIONS to your son and to you for doing an awesome job raising him. Nice to hear good news. You should be proud.

:clap2:

Can I ask what his major is?

Can I ask what his major is?

Right now it's a two year course called something like ECT, electronics computer technician. Now that he's doing so well, he's applying for scholarships and he says it's early enough he may go in to game programing as well.

He's joined some clubs and made some friends. This is really a first for him. He's never joined anything I didn't make him join before. I had to be a cubscout leader so he could be in cubscouts. He didn't last long in Awanas. My neighbor is a great music teacher and even she couldn't handle him long trying to teach him the piano.

After highschool, he just sat around. He was with DVR (Department of Vocational Rehabilitation) and they were suppose to be helping him get a job but their were failling miserably and I finally put my foot down. I told him by the time he was 25, he was either going to be in school, or working. I found DeVry for him. Took him in and he was interviewed and they liked him and he liked the school and everything has been working out since. Of course I think my son has grown up a lot in the past couple of years, I wouldn't have tried this when he was 18, no way.

It may take him a little longer, but eventually, he gets there.

Now I just gotta get him to learn to drive a car.

Is it full on autism, or is it Asperger's or something? I think the capacities of the autistic are dreadfully undervalued by far too many people.

My oldest, the one on the Dean's List, has Asperger's. Public school was h*ll on him and he's now getting his self respect back. I've told him all his life how smart he was but I guess some of his public school teachers and of course the kids <his social skills are really bad> convinced him otherwise. After the first 8 week period at Devry, when he came home and told me he got all A's, he said, "gee, mom, I guess you're right, I really am smart."

What an awesome Mom! Great job! :clap2:

well done....we all hope to just prepare our kids for life...very well done

It's still a work in progress. I've stressed to him that getting on the Dean's List is the easy part...staying there is much harder.

But with Devry having nearly a 90% placement for their students, I'm pretty sure that if he stays on the Dean's List, he WILL get a job when he graduates. Hopefully one that pays enough he can support mom and dad in our old age. :)

Forum List

Back