Pro-Russian Protesters Declare Eastern Ukraine a Separatist Republic…

Good for Donetsk, I support the right of secession. If I were from Donestk, I would support this, I wouldn't want to be under the EU, and wouldn't want to live in an poor economy under severe IMF and EU austerity measures.

Say what?

You mean the nations of EU which have "hate speech" laws, or the US which has a massive NSA surveillance system?

We should fight Russia to preserve what "freedom" exactly, the freedom to peddle homosexual propaganda to children? See how many young men you can get to sign up for World War 3 under that banner, lol.

If you read back through this thread, you'll see that my position is to challenge Russia on an economic level, drive down the price of oil. This would require a break in the left's war on the middle class, but is the most effective way of containing Russia.

Nowhere have I advocated war.

Good for Donetsk, I support the right of secession. If I were from Donestk, I would support this, I wouldn't want to be under the EU, and wouldn't want to live in an poor economy under severe IMF and EU austerity measures.

Oh, you're one of those.

Tell me, what is the per capita GDP of France, vs. the Ukraine, vs. Russia?

Do you have some more bullshit you wish to share?

Say what?

You mean the nations of EU which have "hate speech" laws, or the US which has a massive NSA surveillance system?

We should fight Russia to preserve what "freedom" exactly, the freedom to peddle homosexual propaganda to children? See how many young men you can get to sign up for World War 3 under that banner, lol.

If you read back through this thread, you'll see that my position is to challenge Russia on an economic level, drive down the price of oil. This would require a break in the left's war on the middle class, but is the most effective way of containing Russia.

Nowhere have I advocated war.

The issue with the EU and Russia is one of LNG primarily, not oil. It is LNG pipelines that flow from Russia to the EU states. Drilling for oil is great, I support it, it would lower prices and create jobs not only in oil but in multiple resulting sectors. However, you still have to deal with these pipelines. It is not in the interests economically of the US or the EU to be undermining Russia in their own backyard. For the economic sake of the EU, they will have to learn to respect the sovereignty of nations like Ukraine and Russia.

If anything, the US and the EU should be allies with Russia, due to our close economic ties, and due to our shared christian heritage(and the US and EU's supposed opposition to Radical Islam, which Russia fights internally and on it's borders).

Oh, you're one of those.

I would rather live in France than Ukraine, from a purely economic perspective, but France isn't Ukraine. Ukraine will never be a France, and these austerity measures will push Ukraine into further poverty. They will look more like a Bulgaria or a Romania, both of which are eastern EU nations much weaker than Russia.

The real question is, would I rather be in economic union with the EU or with Russia, if I were a Ukrainian. In the long term, I would rather be part of a union with Russia. GDP per capita between France and Russia is but one measure that doesn't take into account Russia suffered economically in the 90s after the fall of Communism, and in the final years of Communism in the 80s. If you look at other economic indicators, like debt to GDP ratio, unemployment, or economic growth, Russia beats the EU on all those indicators. This, and Ukraine will have to pay much less of an economic price to join with Russia and reap benefits in the long term.

Last edited:

Oh, you're one of those.

I would rather live in France than Ukraine, from a purely economic perspective, but France isn't Ukraine. Ukraine will never be a France, and these austerity measures will push Ukraine into further poverty. They will look more like a Bulgaria or a Romania, both of which are eastern EU nations much weaker than Russia.

The real question is, would I rather be in economic union with the EU or with Russia, if I were a Ukrainian. In the long term, I would rather be part of a union with Russia. GDP per capita between France and Russia is but one measure that doesn't take into account Russia suffered economically in the 90s after the fall of Communism, and in the final years of Communism in the 80s. If you look at other economic indicators, like debt to GDP ratio, unemployment, or economic growth, Russia beats the EU on all those indicators. This, and Ukraine will have to pay much less of an economic price to join with Russia and reap benefits in the long term.

Alright, I misjudged you, my apologies.

I support the Ukraine choosing their own path. I find it difficult to see that aligning with Russia offers a greater prospect of economic and civil success than aligning with Europe, but the choice is theirs.

Reagan and the Bushes would have done nothing either.

And rightly so! We didn't have a military disadvantage when Ukraine etc. was part of the Soviet Union. We need to respect their sphere of influence, just like they need to respect Ours. Putin knows better than to invade NATO countries...............

Guy, the Cold War ended some time ago. There is no SPhere of Influence anymore.

Sure there are. Ukraine is part of the their Near abroad. NATO hasn't gotten the memo that the Cold War is over. The US should have as much interest in the Ukraine as the Russians would have in Alabama. None. Zilch. Zip.

Oh, you're one of those.

I support the Ukraine choosing their own path. I find it difficult to see that aligning with Russia offers a greater prospect of economic and civil success than aligning with Europe, but the choice is theirs.

If I were the Ukraine, I'd run in the other direction of the EU, unless they want their economic policy dictated by neoliberals out of Brussels and Berlin. They should ask some of the periphery EU countries about the joys of deflation, depression, social/civil decay and austerity.

Last edited:
And rightly so! We didn't have a military disadvantage when Ukraine etc. was part of the Soviet Union. We need to respect their sphere of influence, just like they need to respect Ours. Putin knows better than to invade NATO countries...............

Sure there are. Ukraine is part of the their Near abroad. NATO hasn't gotten the memo that the Cold War is over. The US should have as much interest in the Ukraine as the Russians would have in Alabama. None. Zilch. Zip.

Alabama is a separate country? Who knew?

Okay, Weisenheimer, the US should have as much interest in the Ukraine as the Russians would have in Chihuahua or Sonora.

Oh, you're one of those.

Look up the term "sovereign debt crises". They are going on throughout Europe at the moment. Germany is doing relatively well, but England and France are in similar economic shape to the US(so not so good). This doesn't even take into account the southern European nations like Spain and Greece that have over 20% unemployment and almost 50% youth unemployment due to austerity measures. Italy and Portugal have similar problems as well.

Right now, it would be to the economic benefit of say a weaker country, economically speaking, such as Greece, to leave the Euro. Not only would this benefit countries like Germany and France who stay on by strengthening it's stability, but it would allow Greece to get back on it's feet with a weaker currency. Since Greece primarily trades within the Eurozone. It would be in their benefit to have a higher exchange, this would improve their export industry and help reboot the economy.

Similar to Ukraine, Ukraine, would at this point have no economic interest to join the Euro, not only for the economic instability of the EU at the moment, and debt and austerity measures, but because having a devalued currency relative to the Euro is more in their interests for economic recovery than taking on the Euro.

How would you feel if Putin initiated a coup in Mexico or Canada, would we not even have an interest to intervene? Or at least oppose it?

But even more so, Crimea was ethnically Russian and prior to the communist Khruschev putting Crimea in the Ukrainian SSR, it was part of the Russia and a prize of the Russian Empire, which had been liberated from Ottoman Muslim aggression. Not only this, but they had a right to have troops there, under their agreement with Ukraine, up to 40,000 troops, as Crimea is the hub of their Southern fleet. Any rational person would see they have the right to protect their many interests there.

Oh, you're one of those.

Your assessment that it is better to be in a union with Russia is a bit off. Russia has no industry (except military hardware) that is able to compete internationally. The revenues that the country enjoys are largely based on the sale of raw materials and petroleum products and are controlled by a select few friends of Putin. Much of the country's wealth is being siphoned off by these same cronies. Corruption at every level in Russia is endemic and nothing points to that changing.

Regarding the Eurasian Union that seems to be Putin's ambition to mask a renewal of the old Soviet Union, former Soviet Bloc countries are not rushing to join for a very simple reason - this Union favors Russia at the expense of other member nations.

The Ukraine will be bled dry by Russia if given an opportubity to do so. Given the choice Ukrainians will be significantly better off working with other European nations than it would be working with Russia.

Last edited:
Oh, you're one of those.

Your assessment that it is better to be in a union with Russia is a bit off. Russia has no industry (except military hardware) that is able to compete internationally. The revenues that the country enjoys are largely based on the sale of raw materials and petroleum products and are controlled by a select few friends of Putin. Much of the country's wealth is being siphoned off by these same cronies. Corruption at every level in Russia is endemic and nothing points to that changing.

Regarding the Eurasian Union that seems to be Putin's ambition to mask a renewal of the old Soviet Union, former Soviet Bloc countries are not rushing to join for a very simple reason - this Union favors Russia at the expense of other member nations.

The Ukraine will be bled dry by Russia if given an opportubity to do so. Given the choice Ukrainians will be significantly better off working with other European nations than it would be working with Russia.

You act as though having an abundance of natural resources and minerals is a weakness. Unless the whole world moves to windmills tomorrow, Russia will remain a strong and growing economy. LNG is the future, and eventually it will overtake oil as it is cleaner burning and cheaper overall. Russia has an abundance of LNG. So as the west becomes less dependent on Middle Eastern Oil, they(Europe) will grow in dependence on Russian LNG.

Also, a strong energy sector results in growth in other sectors of the domestic economy. Having a strong natural resource base, a strong energy sector, is the foundation for a strong economy. This is exemplified by the fact that since 1999, when Putin came into power, Russia has seen positive economic growth every year(minus 2009) due to an strong energy sector.
GDP growth (annual %) | Data | Table

Income disparities are on the rise in Europe and the US as well, corruption is rampant in the West as well(just look at the multi-trillion dollar banker bailouts)I don't really see your point there.

Also, Ukraine's corruption levels are on par with Nigeria or the Central African Republic. Not only is it the most corrupt state in Europe, but one of the most corrupt in the world. They are far more corrupt than Russia. So saying certain sections of Ukraine oppose Russia due to it's supposed corruption is laughable.

Which nations don't want to trade with Russia in the former Soviet Bloc? Can you list them?

Ukraine is being bled dry by the EU and IMF, already if that is your concern. Russia would not have impose austerity measures in their debt deal.

Ukraine Welcomes IMF Austerity Regime - Forbes

http://rt.com/news/ukraine-austerity-law-imf-753/

17 December 2013 Ukrainian?Russian action plan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You act as though having an abundance of natural resources and minerals is a weakness. Unless the whole world moves to windmills tomorrow, Russia will remain a strong and growing economy. LNG is the future, and eventually it will overtake oil as it is cleaner burning and cheaper overall. Russia has an abundance of LNG. So as the west becomes less dependent on Middle Eastern Oil, they(Europe) will grow in dependence on Russian LNG.

Also, a strong energy sector results in growth in other sectors of the domestic economy. Having a strong natural resource base, a strong energy sector, is the foundation for a strong economy. This is exemplified by the fact that since 1999, when Putin came into power, Russia has seen positive economic growth every year(minus 2009) due to an strong energy sector.

Income disparities are on the rise in Europe and the US as well, corruption is rampant in the West as well(just look at the multi-trillion dollar banker bailouts)I don't really see your point there.

Also, Ukraine's corruption levels are on par with Nigeria or the Central African Republic. Not only is it the most corrupt state in Europe, but one of the most corrupt in the world. They are far more corrupt than Russia. So saying certain sections of Ukraine oppose Russia due to it's supposed corruption is laughable.

Which nations don't want to trade with Russia in the former Soviet Bloc? Can you list them?

Ukraine is being bled dry by the EU and IMF, already if that is your concern. Russia would not have impose austerity measures in their debt deal.

Ukraine parliament passes austerity bill required by IMF ? RT News

17 December 2013 Ukrainian?Russian action plan - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think that's it. The chances of the Ukraine doing a Poland or Czech Republic turnaround are very slim imo. It's cultural. And that strikes me as both interesting and sad, because once, maybe 150 years ago, there was some thought that a Poland Ukraine union would create a nation large enough to survive the Bear and German Empire.

Let me start with your first point that I put in bold above. Despite Russia's wealth of natural resources those revenues have been squandered and will continue to be because of cronic corruption - Russia is ranked 133 out of 176 nations - countries that ranked #1 were Denmark followed closely by countries like Norway and Finland.

Russia has trouble simply paying Russian pensions:

"With an effectively bankrupt state pension fund and a rapidly aging population, the Kremlin's ability to prevent a full-blown pension crisis will require a huge influx of gold and hard currency reserves. The regime needs to implement deep institutional reforms to create a better investment climate and diversify the economy if it is to survive as an economic superpower."

Russia's Dependence on Energy Consumption

If oil prices drop - and this is a very real possibility - Russia's dependence on oil prices staying around $100 a barrel, would be pushed towards recession if oil were to return to below $80 a barrel:

"Twelve years ago, the Russian federal budget balanced at $22 per barrel for oil. Today it is at $110 per barrel, said Bensh, who has been leading oil and gas companies in Ukraine for 13 years."

"“Imagine a fall to $80 per barrel and the concomitant affect that would have on an already recessed Russian economy, its balance sheet and its markets. At $80 or lower, the Russian economy would head deeper into recession, the budget and current accounts would run significant deficits, capital flight would accelerate markedly, depleting FX reserves and putting hefty downside pressure on the [Russian] ruble.”"

US Using Oil to Fight Russian Gas Politics in Ukraine?

Smaller oil producing nations could weather a drop in oil prices - Russia can't.

Last edited:

To answer your question in bold above here are some interesting facts:

"Kyrgyzstan and Armenia say they will join but other former Soviet republics such as Azerbaijan, Georgia and Moldova, which are being wooed by the EU, have reservations. So do Uzbekistan, a large market of 30 million,Turkmenistan and Tajikistan."

"The five former Soviet republics in Central Asia have increased trade with China, despite Moscow's attempts to build relations in the region. A World Bank report last year concluded that Russia had gained more from the customs union than Belarus and Kazakhstan because the tie-up had involved these countries accepting higher Russian import tariffs."

Ukraine Holds Key To Putin's Dream Of A New Union - Business Insider

But even those that joined are having buyer's remorse:

"Given his country's great dependence on its northern neighbor, Nazarbayev always tries to get along with Russia. But its entry into the Customs Union hit Kazakhstan hard. It almost doubled its customs tariffs, compelling the Kazakh middle class to purchase substandard Russian cars rather than freely imported ones. Its tariff raises will block Kazakhstan's almost consummated membership of the World Trade Organization. Even Nazarbayev has put his foot down and said there will be no Eurasian Union."

Push for Customs Union Turns Friends to Foes | Opinion | The Moscow Times

So Ukraine has 2 choices:

1. Be under the thumb of the EU, and it's "hate speech" laws and shitty economic ideals.

or

2. Be under the thumb of Russia, which has a government that hates & jails opposition.

Forum List

Back