President's Day

In NY that makes 12.

Still not excessive.

you don't pay people the 12 days salary for not working do you?
You sound like a dickens charcter.

carey_259906s.jpg

In NY that makes 12.

Still not excessive.

You mean the one who values hard work and thrift? The one who expects no less from others that he himself does? The one who believes one should secure their own future and not as others to do it for them?

That guy.

Sounds like he's got his shit together to me.

You mean the one who values hard work and thrift? The one who expects no less from others that he himself does? The one who believes one should secure their own future and not as others to do it for them?

That guy.

No, I was referring to Scrooge, the man so cheap he turned his back on his fellow man for no reason.

I pay people holiday pay. Do you?

I don't pay people.

Why do you pay them holiday pay?

And why do you complain about it?

People who do not employ others have no idea of the cost.
And I pay holiday pay because I must in order to attract good applicants.

I can't help it if people want to get paid for not working, it's the norm in this country so I must comply to stay in business.

That guy.

No, I was referring to Scrooge, the man so cheap he turned his back on his fellow man for no reason.

Show me where i have turned my back on anyone.

One can be frugal and thrifty without being uncaring.

That guy.

You appear to be jumping to conclusions and are extremly defensive.

Take a deep breathe and start over.

Begin with the mental health of people who work to hard and don't have enough down time.

I pay people holiday pay. Do you?

I don't pay people.

I can't help it if people want to get paid for not working, it's the norm in this country so I must comply to stay in business.

Essentially, you pay people holiday pay because that is what the market demands, correct?

Begin with the mental health of people who work to hard and don't have enough down time.

Please.

No one in my employ ever works more than 37 hours a week. I schedule them for a little less than 40 hours to compensate for the occasional late day as I do not want to pay overtime but i have made it abundantly clear that anyone who wants to can come in a little early or stay a little late to get their 40 hours and guess what? Not one of them ever does.

I can't count how many times people come into work then stand around waiting for the coffee to brew or how many times I have caught the receptionist doing those fucking sudoku or word jumble puzzles.

And these same people drive newer cars than I do, get a new cell phone every 6 months, take more expensive vacations than I do, and then complain that they never have any money.

yeah not enough down time. My ass.

I don't pay people.

Essentially, you pay people holiday pay because that is what the market demands, correct?

Duh.

Please.

No one in my employ ever works more than 37 hours a week. I schedule them for a little less than 40 hours to compensate for the occasional late day as I do not want to pay overtime but i have made it abundantly clear that anyone who wants to can come in a little early or stay a little late to get their 40 hours and guess what? Not one of them ever does.

I can't count how many times people come into work then stand around waiting for the coffee to brew or how many times I have caught the receptionist doing those fucking sudoku or word jumble puzzles.

And these same people drive newer cars than I do, get a new cell phone every 6 months, take more expensive vacations than I do, and then complain that they never have any money.

Maybe they should be posting on the net, following your exemplary example!

And I'm not trying to insult you, lighten up, 12 days of holidays is no big deal.

Duh.

And you are complaining about it.

You are complaining about Capitalism.

Please.

And I'm not trying to insult you, lighten up, 12 days of holidays is no big deal.

I've been up doing paperwork since 5 30 this morning. Since I am the owner I am not confined to a specific block of hours in which to do my work.

Last week I put in 70 hours and I'd like to see my employees work half as hard as my wife and I do.

Please.

I've been up doing paperwork since 5 30 this morning. Since I am the owner I am not confined to a specific block of hours in which to do my work.

Last week I put in 70 hours and I'd like to see my employees work half as hard as my wife and I do.

There is nothing wrong with hard work, but on the other hand people can't be working all the time.

You do it because its your business, they can't and don't have the same investment in it.

And you are complaining about it.

You are complaining about Capitalism.

Yeah right I, the guy who started his first business at 20, hate capitalism.

What I am complaining about is people wanting to get paid for doing nothing.

Don't you see! You are perpetuating the problem by paying your employees for doing nothing!!!

TAKE A STAND!!! Send a memo around work tomorrow and let them know that Holiday pay has retroactively been rescinded.

I'm sure you'll find new employees pretty easily.

There is nothing wrong with hard work, but on the other hand people can't be working all the time.

You do it because its your business, they can't and don't have the same investment in it.

Here's the rub. They benefit if the business does better. The business does better if they are more diligent.

We've tried to give incentives to promote certain new services and offered to start some sort of bonus plan if we beat last years month to month numbers. You know what I got from the staff?

"Oh that's too much pressure"
"I don't want to feel like a salesman"

Fucking ridiculous. They don't get it that if the business they work for does better, that they will do better.

And before you say it, yes I am always looking for new people but as they say good help is hard, very hard, to find.

You should have fired those people on the spot.

And then looked around the room and told them that the bonuses were mandatory, and if they did not earn them, they'd be fired too.

You should have fired those people on the spot.

And then looked around the room and told them that the bonuses were mandatory, and if they did not earn them, they'd be fired too.

Yeah right.

No matter how good that might sound or how satisfying that might be, it doesn't work.

Forum List

Back