Post debate bounce?

Discussion in 'Politics' started by AmyNation, Oct 12, 2012.

1. AmyNation

AmyNation Road Warrior Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,016
    Predictions? Romney bounce? Obama? None?

The 1st debate changed the tone of the election, and clearly gave Romney a much needed bounce. I'm thinking no bounce from the VP debate, but Romney will have stopped gaining ground.

2. Babbleon

Babbleon Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11
    Exactly how I feel.. Political landscapes don't exactly get turned upside down from VP debates.

His role was to be the pitbull and kill momentum. This is obvious to MOST of us. We have seen him more subdued in debate before.

He played the good soldier and nothing more.
    "Don't sway voters, be a bandage."

3. U2Edge

U2Edge VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +171
    Its stunning to see the turn around in the polls for Romney after just one debate. I had concluded the election was over 6 months ago based on the polling and still felt that way the day before the first debate. I thought the debates would have no effect either way. Surprisingly Romney knocked it out of the park. According to RCP, Romney took his first lead EVER in the average of polls over Obama starting October 9 and continuing to today. Very surprising. I'm thinking the VP debate won't have much effect, but we really won't know for a few days then we have the last two debates on the 16th and the 22nd. I suppose things could easily shift again, but we may be locked in now for a very close election.

4. blackhawk

blackhawk Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,112
    I see it the same way plus there is another Presidential debate next week and ever one's focus will soon be there is it's not already.

5. JimH52

JimH52 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,309
    Polling shows he stopped gaining ground before the debate. If O can make it a real debate on Tuesday, this is as close as Romney gets.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  6. JustSomeGuy

JustSomeGuy Active Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +69
    What polling? Romney probably had his best day of polling today since last year. Maybe ever.

7. U2Edge

U2Edge VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +171
    If nothing changes from today, Romney has an excellant chance of winning the election. Prior to the first debate, it looked nearly impossible for him to have a chance of winning. The past four days of polling averages on RCP have had Romney in the lead. Romney was NEVER in the lead even for a single day prior to the first debate!

8. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,557
    VP debates never influence the election.

9. AquaAthena

AquaAthena INTJ/ INFJ

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,342
    Too soon to call, but this article brings attention for thoughtful discussion.

SNIP:

The vice presidential debate provided a test case about the way Americans think about civility. In terms of substance, both Vice President Biden and Paul Ryan had their moments of strength. Ryan was strong on foreign policy, while Biden squirmed and threw the intelligence community under the bus about administration lies about the Benghazi attack. Biden delivered class warfare body blows about Mitt Romney’s “47 percent” gaffe.

But the main difference between the two wasn’t so much their competing liberal and conservative ideas and arguments. It was the blatant disrespect shown by Biden for his opponent.

SNIP:

"But it is also possible that a lot of those Americans who saw the debate, even those who are Democrats but especially independents and undecided voters, will not think much of a vice president of the United States acting more like a schoolyard bully than a statesman.

Did Biden

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3
  10. Jackson

Jackson Gold Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,710

And a leader who cannot listen to the other side...Isn't this a problem this administration has had for the last four years? How many opportunities were lost when the president could not sit down with opposing leadership and and discuss priorities for this nation?

Instead, he circumvented Congress, ruled by Executive Order and made his own laws, sometimes breaking laws in existence. When there are ideas out there, listen. Work with Congress and all ideas can be put on the table. This president thinks his ideas are the only ideas that count when there are over 500 Congresspeople who would like to be part of the solution. Use them!

But just as demonstrated last night...listening is not a strong point with this administration whether it be Congress, or the American people.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 3