POLL: Do you want to see race relations improve?

Do you want to see race relations improve in America?

• Yes

Votes: 23 63.9%
  • No

Votes: 3 8.3%
  • I really don't give a shit. It's up to them.

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters
It’s not talked about much, but perhaps one of the great benefits of Trump’s election as President is that the “halo” of the presidency that existed is now tarnished. Perhaps forever.

I don't really have a horse in this race, but if receiving blow jobs from an intern right there in the oval office is evidence of a halo, perhaps the entire notion should be reexamined.

Trump is certainly juvenile, petty and lacks even a semblance of self control. You are an extreme partisan, however, so want to blame him for this much imagined tarnishing, but there have certainly been presidents who engaged in very suspect behavior.

Dividing them into sinners and saints based only on party affiliation is childish.

Until we finally understand that skin color is no different than eye color or hair color, this shit will continue to be used by the elites in media and government to divide and control everyone.
So I have a question and it's an honest question, not meant to be contentious or to bait and I'd really appreciate you giving me your opinion on it.

What do you suggest we do about the fact that racism was/is written into the laws of our country for the first 80% of it's existence? I mean it's a nice sentiment to say that "skin color is no different that eye color or hair color" but the history of the United States, our laws and court rulings make it very clear that "race" and being black or of African descent are very definitely criteria that was and in some instances continues to be used to deny people of color full enjoyment of the same rights as whites.

I want to see an end to the concept of "race."

It is a social construct.

Until we finally understand that skin color is no different than eye color or hair color, this shit will continue to be used by the elites in media and government to divide and control everyone.

7699f9d58de158783b871a1415e6f0d3--dr-seuss-lorax-dr-suess.jpg
There are differences though.
Not really.
Most brands used to differentiate different things are social constructs.
Why do moths that have one spot different than another, get classified differently? Why is it that if you say that about the different color of humans, it isnt correct?
There are DNA differences. Lets say we share 99%DNA with chimps. We share 99.8% DNA with blacks. 1% is HUGE right? Wouldnt .2 be huge too?
I have read that we are closer to neanderthals than chimps. That includes asians.
Blacks are closer to chimps since they have no neanderthal DNA.

So I have a question and it's an honest question, not meant to be contentious or to bait and I'd really appreciate you giving me your opinion on it.

What do you suggest we do about the fact that racism was/is written into the laws of our country for the first 80% of it's existence? I mean it's a nice sentiment to say that "skin color is no different that eye color or hair color" but the history of the United States, our laws and court rulings make it very clear that "race" and being black or of African descent are very definitely criteria that was and in some instances continues to be used to deny people of color full enjoyment of the same rights as whites.

The obvious answer is that we are dealing in the present rather than the past, and so it is what happens in the present that matters.

In the present, blacks have an institutionalized advantage over all others due to affirmative action.

It’s not talked about much, but perhaps one of the great benefits of Trump’s election as President is that the “halo” of the presidency that existed is now tarnished. Perhaps forever.

I don't really have a horse in this race, but if receiving blow jobs from an intern right there in the oval office is evidence of a halo, perhaps the entire notion should be reexamined.

Trump is certainly juvenile, petty and lacks even a semblance of self control. You are an extreme partisan, however, so want to blame him for this much imagined tarnishing, but there have certainly been presidents who engaged in very suspect behavior.

Dividing them into sinners and saints based only on party affiliation is childish.

Well, that is a different conversation—presidential foibles. This thread is about race.
As for tarnishment, What I meant was that someone with no political convictions at all, who just mildly (if at all) understands the office, and never had any sort of policy training/shaping/etc ascends to the highest office in the land, the supposed “career ladder” that you have to climb to be ready to be responsible enough to be handed, among other things, the nuclear football is forever gone.

If your want to get political about it…few, if any serious commentators, questioned Clinton’s readiness for the job. Those voices got more traction with Obama. Somehow, the same voices were silent when Trump—who never held any office—got the job.

Absolutely.

Naturally the oligarchy have institutionalized and codified not just racial codes and laws, but traditions that have divided people according to sexual orientation, gender, religion, age, and any number of different categories. They continue to do so, and the mechanisms by which these were put in place, are then torn down, or sometimes actually blatantly reversed. These then cause an equal amount of discord among the opposite groups. It is a strategy of continual tension, we see it here on this discussion board. The corporate media and higher education makes sure not to let it slack.

Racial laws were not the only laws written into the founding documents to exclude citizens. There were codifications for individuals being of the right sex and of the proper social class (property owners,) as well.

When the establishment is constructed for those who rule, the perception of reality and history will be manipulated to designs of those who rule. Thus, if it is in their interest for the masses to perceive themselves as divided and fighting for power and wealth among each other, that is what the rulers will have them do.

Oppression comes from the top down, not from each other. We are programmed by the establishment to hate each other b/c it is helpful for the elite to rule, as it has since the dawn of time.

To the nuts and bolts of what you are asking?

TBH, I am not minority, all I can do is empathize. I have lived in In-group communities where Out-groups live, and I have Out-groups communities where most members are of the Out-group. In those communities, there seems to be a simmering anger toward the In-group outside their community.

In almost every case, I have found that it doesn't matter who you are, whether you are a member of the In-group, or the Out-group, you are more happy, and more secure in the In-group community, even if you are a member of the Out-group. Minority members seem to feel more integrated with the nation at large, but that is just my perception. In the In-group community's, Out-group members there don't seem to be looked at with as much suspicion, and folks go out of their way to show. . . well, that they are not racist. There are more friendly and cordial, making eye contact, going out of their way to be helpful and courteous.

Yet in those communities where the Out-group is the majority and straddles the line with large In-group's, that is where tension grows and there seems to be lots of hostility. It resembles the chat on this forum. This is an interesting study on that phenomenon.
Evolution of in-group favoritism

Not really.
Why do moths that have one spot different than another, get classified differently? Why is it that if you say that about the different color of humans, it isnt correct?
There are DNA differences. Lets say we share 99%DNA with chimps. We share 99.8% DNA with blacks. 1% is HUGE right? Wouldnt .2 be huge too?
I have read that we are closer to neanderthals than chimps. That includes asians.

You need to take a few anthropology classes.

Your post is utter gibberish.

There are DNA differences between you and your mother.. . . . I guess you two are different species.

Not really.

There are DNA differences between you and your mother.. . . . I guess you two are different species.
I never said we werent the same species as black people. I said there are differences :rolleyes:

Not really.

I never said we werent the same species as black people. I said there are differences :rolleyes:

I studied anthropology at University, as well as statistics and the meaning of significance in those statistics.

Of course there are differences.

Did you know there are more DNA genetic differences within and among the Caucasian white race, along the bell curve, than there is between a white person and a sub-Saharan person, Asian, or any other "race," for that matter?

IOW, there is no such thing, as a significant race qualifier.

"The proportion of human genetic variation due to differences between populations is modest, and individuals from different populations can be genetically more similar than individuals from the same population. Yet sufficient genetic data can permit accurate classification of individuals into populations. Both findings can be obtained from the same data set, using the same number of polymorphic loci. This article explains why.. . . "
<snip>

"The fact that, given enough genetic data, individuals can be correctly assigned to their populations of origin is compatible with the observation that most human genetic variation is found within populations, not between them. It is also compatible with our finding that, even when the most distinct populations are considered and hundreds of loci are used, individuals are frequently more similar to members of other populations than to members of their own population. Thus, caution should be used when using geographic or genetic ancestry to make inferences about individual phenotypes."
Genetic Similarities Within and Between Human Populations

Not really.

No, but you implied that there was a biological basis for race, there isn't.

If there was, you could tell me, biologically speaking, what race Obama is.

PS67CH18-Richeson ARI 14 November 2015 13:52
Toward a Social Psychology of
Race and Race Relations for the
Twenty-First Century

http://groups.psych.northwestern.edu/spcl/documents/Richeson_SommersAR16.pdf

In almost every case, I have found that it doesn't matter who you are, whether you are a member of the In-group, or the Out-group, you are more happy, and more secure in the In-group community, even if you are a member of the Out-group. Minority members seem to feel more integrated with the nation at large, but that is just my perception. In the In-group community's, Out-group members there don't seem to be looked at with as much suspicion, and folks go out of their way to show. . . well, that they are not racist. There are more friendly and cordial, making eye contact, going out of their way to be helpful and courteous.

Yet in those communities where the Out-group is the majority and straddles the line with large In-group's, that is where tension grows and there seems to be lots of hostility. It resembles the chat on this forum. This is an interesting study on that phenomenon.
Evolution of in-group favoritism
Well first of all, thank you for your response, it was much more than I expected and I therefore was pleasantly surprised. I took a look at your link but there was a bit too much math going on for me this morning to take it all in but it does appear to be a very interesting article.

I had never heard the terms in-group or out-group before but now that I think of it it does make sense. Both of my parents come from environments where they were one of if not the only African Americans in their schools and neighborhoods although we kids grew up primarily in an integrated environment. The thing that is distressing to me about the state of race relations in the U.S. today is that with the exception of maybe a dozen or so isolated incidents, none of the acts of racism that I experienced during say the first 35 years of my life had ever prevented me from moving forward, at least not to my knowledge. Then I suddenly get a little bit beyond that and it's incident, after incident, after incident in a never-ending flow. And just this morning I was able to pinpoint why we keep hearing people (presumably younger) complaining about "but that was a long time ago" when it comes to the fact that separate and unequal racial segregation was the law of the land. While the Civil Rights Act of 1964 may have ended on paper the discriminatory policies that plagued our nation, in reality they are still in practice in many places throughout the country. In fact, it never stopped, it's just packaged differently these days exist under various disguises.

Meanwhile, on another thread on this forum, I was told that white people do not litter…. I will leave it to your imagination what the political ideology of the person who made such a claim is.

I'm truly, seriously beginning to have my doubts. I think the division pimps on both ends of this are winning.

I voted yes, for what I used to think were obvious reasons.

Please respond and expand, thanks.
Yes. But they won’t improve until people start to listen to each other instead of speak at each other and it won’t change as long as we just view the other as labels.

Last edited:
Meanwhile, on another thread on this forum, I was told that white people do not litter…. I will leave it to your imagination what the political ideology of the person who made such a claim is.

Oh they litter. I have 730 feet of road frontage on my property. White trash throw crap in it out of spite I think

-Geaux

Forum List

Back