Political Scientist: Republicans Most Conservative They've Been In 100 Years

Kennedy wasn't really a liberal at all, btw.. he was a cold warrior. Nixon was far more left.

Nixon does not fall into any traditional classification imo. I still can't decide whether he was one of the US' best or worst executive leaders. Either way, I can easily call him the most important as far as the world today resulting from his unilateral Nixon Shock and establishment of global petrodollar hegemony.

I agree that JFK was not a modern liberal. Classical liberal perhaps as his economic views were often libertarian-leaning:

To the Economic Club of New York, he spoke in 1963 of "... the paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high and revenues too low; and the soundest way to raise revenue in the long term is to lower rates now."
John F. Kennedy - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I should add that I wasn't born until the 80s so how much can I actually know lol

with respect to nixon, it's always been my opinion that if he hadn't been paranoid and crazy, or hadn't gotten 'caught", he'd have been considered one of our best, if not the best of our modern era presidents.

i don't believe there's such a thing as "classical liberal". i know it's been pointed out to me that the term has been used in the past, but not in the self-serving way it's being used by some on the right today.

that said, i think there are presidents who try to do the right thing regardless of whether the right thing is "left" or "right"... i don't think in this political climate such people get very far.

I agree with all of this. I'm sure there's a degree of subjective bias as to what I've observed in real time since my awareness of politics began in the 90s, but in investigating the US' history post-19th century I genuinely perceive a growing general tension and distrust of government that began during George HW Bush's presidency. With the now 24-hour news cycle today, the propaganda ministers are as loud and unscrupulous as ever. You'd like to think that with more access to information/communication, citizens would be less vulnerable to the manipulators. But unfortunately, what I think we're seeing is that increased access to information/communication has simply given the manipulators greater access to vulnerable sheep now perpetually exposed to rhetoric. Thus the perfect conditions for brutally partisan political climate.

Nixon does not fall into any traditional classification imo. I still can't decide whether he was one of the US' best or worst executive leaders. Either way, I can easily call him the most important as far as the world today resulting from his unilateral Nixon Shock and establishment of global petrodollar hegemony.

I agree that JFK was not a modern liberal. Classical liberal perhaps as his economic views were often libertarian-leaning:

I should add that I wasn't born until the 80s so how much can I actually know lol

with respect to nixon, it's always been my opinion that if he hadn't been paranoid and crazy, or hadn't gotten 'caught", he'd have been considered one of our best, if not the best of our modern era presidents.

i don't believe there's such a thing as "classical liberal". i know it's been pointed out to me that the term has been used in the past, but not in the self-serving way it's being used by some on the right today.

that said, i think there are presidents who try to do the right thing regardless of whether the right thing is "left" or "right"... i don't think in this political climate such people get very far.

I agree with all of this. I'm sure there's a degree of subjective bias as to what I've observed in real time since my awareness of politics began in the 90s, but in investigating the US' history post-19th century I genuinely perceive a growing general tension and distrust of government that began during George HW Bush's presidency. With the now 24-hour news cycle today, the propaganda ministers are as loud and unscrupulous as ever. You'd like to think that with more access to information/communication, citizens would be less vulnerable to the manipulators. But unfortunately, what I think we're seeing is that increased access to information/communication has simply given the manipulators greater access to vulnerable sheep now perpetually exposed to rhetoric. Thus the perfect conditions for brutally partisan political climate.

we all bring our own preconceptions to what we observe. this is a particularly bad era for politics, but it isn't the first time, historically, that there has been an anti-government push. it is, however, the first time i have ever observed that "Anti-government push" come from those in government.

I agree with you about the manipulation of information. It is also true that people are often misled by false information in the blogosphere and are also moved to sources that confirm their own biases.

Oh no! Doctor Hack says we're more conservative than we've been in 100 years. I doubt such empirical data exists to even measure that. And I would question any system that presumes to measure that. Pretty lame OP. Also, if anything we're more liberal than we've ever been. I could give example after example.

I thought the right had drifted to far to the left with all the massive imperialism spending....hell they aren't just big government.....they are in the business of making governments....

That's just another right wing myth. The left spends money, but on things like infrastructure and education. These things generate revenue. Right wingers don't want to invest in this country and they think education is for snobs. They hope that if they cut taxes for rich people, then those same rich people will "create jobs" out of the goodness of their hearts. Shit. They might as well rent a stadium and pray for rain. Oh, wait, they did that. Did it work? Maybe that's why Texas got 4 feet of hail. Cuz they said "Hail Mary" in those stadium prayers?

Looking at the chart, the Democrats are most liberal than they've been in 100 years.
Yet, what does the title of the article say?
Can you say "Journalistic Malpractice"?

Looking at the chart, one would have to say you are incapable of reading even a simple chart. The Dems were about 04 in 1912, and today, they are at 04 once again. The GOP has ran from 04 to 02 until 1992. Now they are above 06.

Kennedy wasn't really a liberal at all, btw.. he was a cold warrior. Nixon was far more left.

To the Economic Club of New York, he spoke in 1963 of "... the paradoxical truth that tax rates are too high and revenues too low; and the soundest way to raise revenue in the long term is to lower rates now."

I now believe Nixon was the best of my lifetime; his paranoia pales next to his accomplishments. NIXON began the end of the Soviet era, NIXON opened the door to China, now "experimenting" with small scale free markets.

Evidently, the Professor thinks Republicans are freaky extremists for wanting to end trillion and a half dollar deficits.

Since the Republicans started the trillion dollar deficits, I hardly see any evidence of them wanting to end them. They just desire to transfer those funds from the taxpayers pocket to those of their wealthy clients.

Of course Carter clinton and obama are vastly left of Kennedy. Did you even read what you typed?
You contradicted me and then agreed.

I'm not sure how you throw Clinton into that mix. He was probably the most centrist Democrat president since Wilson.

What I see here is people seeing what they want to see to support their own pre convinced ideas about those they disagree with politically.

Forum List

Back