Shogun FX 2024 Series

mudwhistle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jul 21, 2009
Headmaster's Office, Hogwarts
dgsdgsdf.jpg

I recommend everyone to watch the new Shogun series on FX.

It's a slightly different take than the original series, which I think fills out all of the aspects of James Cavell's book "Shogun" about a Japanese Lord who reluctantly became Shogun until the new Emperor became of age to rule

The original series focused on romance between Lady Mariko and John Blackthorn, but so far I've seen none of that. Matter of fact the new Lady Mariko seems to despise John Blackthorn. I've only seen two episodes, but it focuses more on Lord Toranaga more than anything, which I think is great. I'm really into Asian culture and martial arts. The lead character is played well by Hiroyuki Sanada, not exactly a well-known name but he has been seen in several movies including The Wolverine, The Last Samurai, 47 Ronin, and Minions.

Hiroyuki_Sanada_2013_(cropped).jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 914024

It's a slightly different take than the original series, which I think fills out all of the aspects of James Cavell's book "Shogun" about a Japanese Lord who reluctantly became Shogun until the new Emperor became of age to rule

The original series focused on romance between Lady Marico and John Blackthorn, but so far I've seen none of that. Matter of fact the new Lady Marico seems to despise John Blackthorn. I've only seen two episodes, but it focuses more on Lord Toranaga more than anything, which I think is great. I'm really into Asian culture and martial arts. The lead character is played well by Hiroyuki Sanada, not exactly a well-known name but he has been seen in several movies including The Wolverine, The Last Samurai, 47 Ronin, and Minions.

View attachment 914029

I agree..great remake.

FX made it seem like it was a rebroadcast, they even showed a Richard Chamberlain clip.....It was a great miniseries and I thought I'm glad they were going to show it.

Maybe they showed the original first? :dunno:
I don't think so.This one seems to stand on it's own.

Richard Chamberlain was gay, but they spent most of the original series focusing on this love affair when the real story of Shogun was about the politics involved in the book. It is a work of fiction, but it delved into the Japanese mind more than most movies have in the past. The Japanese mind is to be of more than one mind. The one you show and the one that you keep to yourself. It means to be polite and keep your thought to yourself.

Diving into ‘Shōgun‘ by James Clavell, we’re not just exploring the depths of a captivating novel but also the rich narrative of its FX’s TV adaptation. These stories don’t just unfold, they pull us into a realm where wisdom, power, and the raw essence of human experience interlace. Whether it’s through the pages of Clavell’s masterpiece or the vivid scenes of the show, each quote we’re about to share is a piece of the puzzle, a moment of truth spoken by characters who feel as real as their words. Let’s embrace these gems that echo the spirit of ‘Shōgun’, from both the ink and the screen.

1. ‘To think bad thoughts is really the easiest thing in the world.’ – Narrator​

This line reminds us of the ease with which we can slip into negativity and the effort required to maintain a positive outlook.

2. ‘Only by living at the edge of death can you understand the indescribable joy of life.’ – John Blackthorne​

John Blackthorne reflects on how close encounters with death can deepen our appreciation for life’s beauty.

3. ‘Every day is a journey, and the journey itself is home.’ – Matsuo Basho​

Through Matsuo Basho, Clavell expresses the idea that finding contentment in our daily lives is what truly matters.

4. ‘There are no “good” or “bad” people. The world is about power.’ – Toranaga​

Toranaga challenges the simplistic notion of morality, pointing out the complexity of human actions driven by power dynamics.

5. ‘Knowledge is learning something every day. Wisdom is letting go of something every day.’ – Narrator​

This quote draws a line between the accumulation of facts and the deeper understanding that comes from letting go.

6. ‘The strongest steel is forged by the fires of hell.’ – Narrator​

Here, we’re reminded that our greatest strengths are often the product of our toughest challenges.

7. ‘All life is a struggle.’ – Toranaga​

Toranaga sums up the universal nature of struggle in life, highlighting its inevitable and ongoing nature.

8. ‘A man who desires revenge should dig two graves.’ – Confucius​

This ancient wisdom, cited in the story, warns of the self-destructive nature of seeking vengeance.

9. ‘Pain is the only true teacher.’ – Narrator​

The narrative acknowledges that our most significant growth often stems from our most painful experiences.

10. ‘The universe is not fair and it is never going to be fair.’ – Narrator​

This quote is a stark reminder to accept the inherent unfairness of life as a fundamental truth.

11. ‘Respect is not fear and awe; it is the ability to see a person as they are.’ – Mariko​

Mariko offers a profound definition of respect that transcends fear and admiration, advocating for genuine recognition of others.

RELATED:

FX’s ‘Shogun’ Parents Guide: Show’s Age Rating Explained

12. ‘Death is only the end if you assume the story is about you.’ – Narrator​

This philosophical musing encourages us to see our lives as part of a larger narrative, minimizing the finality of death.

13. ‘A wise man treats a stranger as his own brother until he proves otherwise.’ – Toranaga​

Toranaga teaches us the value of kindness and openness to others, reserving judgment until one’s true nature is revealed.

14. ‘The art of war is deception.’ – Sun Tzu​

Quoting Sun Tzu, this line underscores the strategic importance of misdirection and surprise in conflict.

15. ‘Fear is a contagion that spreads quickly.’ – Toranaga​

Toranaga warns of fear’s rapid spread and its potential to influence and control people en masse.

16. ‘Patience is the companion of wisdom.’ – Narrator​

This quote reminds us that true wisdom often requires the ability to wait and act at the opportune moment.

17. ‘In the confrontation between the stream and the rock, the stream always wins – not through strength but by perseverance.’ – Narrator​

This metaphor highlights the power of persistence over brute force in overcoming obstacles.

18. ‘To understand the nature of the people, one must be a prince, and to understand the nature of the prince, one must be of the people.’ – Narrator​

This quote speaks to the necessity of empathy and perspective-taking in leadership and understanding.

19. ‘He who seeks to control fate shall never find peace.’ – Toranaga​

Toranaga advises against the futile attempt to control the uncontrollable, suggesting that peace comes from acceptance.

20. ‘The wheel of life has many spokes yet turns the same for all.’ – Narrator​

This line reflects on life’s universal experiences, shared by all despite our differences.

21. ‘Courage is not the absence of fear, but the triumph over it.’ – John Blackthorne​

John Blackthorne defines courage as the ability to face and overcome one’s fears, rather than not feeling fear at all.

22. ‘The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge.’ – Narrator​

View attachment 914024

The original series focused on romance between Lady Marico and John Blackthorn, but so far I've seen none of that. Matter of fact the new Lady Marico seems to despise John Blackthorn. I've only seen two episodes, but it focuses more on Lord Toranaga more than anything, which I think is great. I'm really into Asian culture and martial arts. The lead character is played well by Hiroyuki Sanada, not exactly a well-known name but he has been seen in several movies including The Wolverine, The Last Samurai, 47 Ronin, and Minions.

View attachment 914029

He is awesome in roles like this....The Last Samurai....

View attachment 914024

The original series focused on romance between Lady Mariko and John Blackthorn, but so far I've seen none of that. Matter of fact the new Lady Mariko seems to despise John Blackthorn. I've only seen two episodes, but it focuses more on Lord Toranaga more than anything, which I think is great. I'm really into Asian culture and martial arts. The lead character is played well by Hiroyuki Sanada, not exactly a well-known name but he has been seen in several movies including The Wolverine, The Last Samurai, 47 Ronin, and Minions.

View attachment 914029

He was great in the Bullet Train.

This is one of the best series ever!

You have to watch it in Japanese with English subtitles

The focus is on the strategic genius of Toranaga. EPIC!

Waiting for the 10th and final to drop on the 23rd

I thought it was a rebroadcast of the original.
I watched it to the end. It became a disappointment because they turned Mariko into a Kung Fu fighter and turned Toranaga into a pussy. Mariko's death was next to meaningless and they didn't even have much of a love story involved at the end. It was just Mariko sacrificing herself and the reaction leading to Ichito's downfall.

Massive disappointment.

This is one of the best series ever!

You have to watch it in Japanese with English subtitles

The focus is on the strategic genius of Toranaga. EPIC!

Waiting for the 10th and final to drop on the 23rd
Huge disappointment.
It was overall entertaining, but I sense the usual gender role reversal at work here.

They turned Toranaga into a weak leader who wins by deception and politics rather than strong leadership.

Huge disappointment.
It was overall entertaining, but I sense the usual gender role reversal at work here.

They turned Toranaga into a weak leader who wins by deception and politics rather than strong leadership.

Toranaga had no hope to win militarily as things stood with the Regents and Ochiba against him. 5 against 1

Ochiba’s hatred toward Toranaga meant he had no direct means of converting her, he needed an outside influence, hence Mariko’s death in Osaka.

His son dies stupidly, but his vassal Hiromatsu had to commit sepukku to make it absolutely convincing that Toranaga was desperate and in a state of capitulation! His most loyal vassal gives up on him (but tells his son Buntaro to remain faithful)

He loses his son, his vassal and Mariko, the sum of which converts Ochiba and wins for Toranaga

Yeah, kind of anticlimactic, but I thought the book was 1,000 pages too short

Toranaga had no hope to win militarily as things stood with the Regents and Ochiba against him. 5 against 1

Ochiba’s hatred toward Toranaga meant he had no direct means of converting her, he needed an outside influence, hence Mariko’s death in Osaka.

His son dies stupidly, but his vassal Hiromatsu had to commit sepukku to make it absolutely convincing that Toranaga was desperate and in a state of capitulation! His most loyal vassal gives up on him (but tells his son Buntaro to remain faithful)

He loses his son, his vassal and Mariko, the sum of which converts Ochiba and wins for Toranaga

Yeah, kind of anticlimactic, but I thought the book was 1,000 pages too short
This was a Disney production. I really enjoy anything to do with Samurai culture.....but it was clear that Disney purposely did some gender-swapping and it resulted in the movie not being as good as the original TV series. The assassin was a woman, which wasn't believable for a film about Japan in the year 1600.
What really pissed me off was they way Disney made Toranaga look like a weak fuck. They did that because they hate strong alpha male types.

Forum List

Back