Political leanings on the USMB Board

Air America failed because nobody wanted to listen to it. You could have supported it if it were important to you. NPR receives government handouts and has a very liberal editorial viewpoint. It's not the right's fault that the left can't run a viable business on the radio.

A foothold in television is just that "a foothold" - the majority of editorial content on TV is left leaning.

The internet, that GAWD, is wide open territory. The low overhead of running a website makes it the most "democratic" form of media on the planet - anybody can post news stories and commentary. We should all hope it stays that way.

Air America failed because nobody ever listened to it in the first place.

This is my problem with those who kick, cry, and scream that those pesky Liberals control the media, they have no real clue of reality. The right controls the radio waves. The right has Fox News. The right has just as much of the internet as the left.

Within five years, the internet will have taken over the #1 spot as to where people get their main source of news. And then people like you will have nothing to cry about.

And if you want to complain about the amount of Liberals in Academia, here's a solution:

Get more Conservative scientists and professors.

It's not that difficult. You demean those who worked hard for years in their respective areas by trying to marginalize them to one sort of viewpoint or political ideology.

Edit: I just noticed your spilled milk comment over NPR.

From their wikipedia page:

About 2% of NPR's funding comes from bidding on government grants and programs, chiefly the Corporation for Public Broadcasting; the remainder comes from member station dues, foundation grants, and corporate underwriting.

Last edited:
Oh. The Right is supposed to run failing Leftwing Radio Stations and make them profitable for the Left?

No thanks. I'd rather to a job that is not quite that thankless.

It would seem that of late, the population of this board has taken a rather pronounced turn to the right.

New members have typically been right-wing oriented, and the posts have taken a decidedly right-wing talking point direction, including much in the way of repetitive spam.

It seems that many of my fellow posters on the left-hand side of things, have found this unpalatable and are posting less and less..

It would be unfortunate to see USMB turn into a right-wing echo chamber, ala Townhall.com.

Perhaps folks on both sides might want to talk about this issue and express their political leanings to see if my assertion has any validity whatsoever.

I, myself, am a leftie.

No one is stopping you from posting. In fact, I wish you to post your ideas so that we can throw them in the shredder of logic, reason, and normal human thought processes.

And if you want to complain about the amount of Liberals in Academia, here's a solution:

It's not that difficult. You demean those who worked hard for years in their respective areas by trying to marginalize them to one sort of viewpoint or political ideology.

Do you have any real life knowledge of the politics on University campuses?

It's very difficult for conservatives to get tenure, thus blocking them from most professorships.

Oh. The Right is supposed to run failing Leftwing Radio Stations and make them profitable for the Left?

Dude, lets all call up NPR and say Obama is a communist.

This board has always leaned right of center, in general. Still it is one of the more diverse boards that I have posted on. It is one of the few in which political affiliation is not even considered for staff selection.

i would have to agree, this board is very diverse. i belong to another board that is fairly diverse, though some great lefty members left. there are nutjobs and every board, no matter the size of the board. this board has great posters on both sides of the aisle. though we rarely agree, i like jillian, ravi, goldcatt, and a few others...you see, they have finally accepted that i am always right
:eusa_angel:

Oh, really? :razz:

Doesn't bother me being a member of the minority. The debaters on either side aren't trying to silence other views. The board isn't trying to silence any views. And the poo-flinging hack monkeys aren't worth wasting time on. So who cares?

What are you babbling about?

It would seem that of late, the population of this board has taken a rather pronounced turn to the right.

New members have typically been right-wing oriented, and the posts have taken a decidedly right-wing talking point direction, including much in the way of repetitive spam.

It seems that many of my fellow posters on the left-hand side of things, have found this unpalatable and are posting less and less..

It would be unfortunate to see USMB turn into a right-wing echo chamber, ala Townhall.com.

Perhaps folks on both sides might want to talk about this issue and express their political leanings to see if my assertion has any validity whatsoever.

I, myself, am a leftie.
I'm a USMB Lunatic!
usmbsticker.jpg

Airhead America failed because its business model sucked...Not a one of the people running that mess had any idea what it took to produce a single program, let alone an entire successful network.

Yes, it is that difficult. The mindset of mainstream academe is decidedly leftist, and they tend to --shall we say--"peer review" out all those who don't "belong in the club".

About 2% of NPR's funding comes from bidding on government grants and programs, chiefly the Corporation for Public Broadcasting; the remainder comes from member station dues, foundation grants, and corporate underwriting.
Which is 2% too much.

NPR has also benefited from the tax code which enables it to take charitable donations (Ray Kroc bequest) tax free. That is a subsidy which a regular business would not be able to accept - and for which we all end up paying due to the tax avoidance.

Yes, it is that difficult. The mindset of mainstream academe is decidedly leftist, and they tend to --shall we say--"peer review" out all those who don't "belong in the club".
Which is 2% too much.

You know, I think there is a entire subforum for your rantings on this subject. Since the environment subforum has become the Anti-Global Warming subforum. And debating with you on this subject is about as worth my time as debating with Chris about it. :lol:

Point is, there is plenty of room in Academia for anyone who is not leftist.

This board has always leaned right of center, in general. Still it is one of the more diverse boards that I have posted on. It is one of the few in which political affiliation is not even considered for staff selection.

i would have to agree, this board is very diverse. i belong to another board that is fairly diverse, though some great lefty members left. there are nutjobs and every board, no matter the size of the board. this board has great posters on both sides of the aisle. though we rarely agree, i like jillian, ravi, goldcatt, and a few others...you see, they have finally accepted that i am always right

Doesn't bother me being a member of the minority. The debaters on either side aren't trying to silence other views. The board isn't trying to silence any views. And the poo-flinging hack monkeys aren't worth wasting time on. So who cares?

you're only a minority because you have not accepted the fact that yurt is always right

It's not just this board, bub.

Those of us who are not Progressives (i.e. ranging from Moderate to Conservative) are not going to be silenced by the hyper Left. Your end of the spectrum has controlled the mainstream media and academia for years - and you begrudge us having a voice.

Tough Shit.

Why are you so hostile?? Why can't you righties treat people the way you want to be treated?? You are the ones that always start shit. Always. Nobody said anything to you that would make you respond like that. Grow up.

you must be joking......i live in the sf bay area....if i go to a dinner party and so much as question the topic being discussed....the venom and hate overflows .....

Last edited:

Censorship always benefits liberals for some reason.

Air America failed because nobody wanted to listen to it. You could have supported it if it were important to you. NPR receives government handouts and has a very liberal editorial viewpoint. It's not the right's fault that the left can't run a viable business on the radio.

A foothold in television is just that "a foothold" - the majority of editorial content on TV is left leaning.

The internet, that GAWD, is wide open territory. The low overhead of running a website makes it the most "democratic" form of media on the planet - anybody can post news stories and commentary. We should all hope it stays that way.

This is my problem with those who kick, cry, and scream that those pesky Liberals control the media, they have no real clue of reality. The right controls the radio waves. The right has Fox News. The right has just as much of the internet as the left.

Within five years, the internet will have taken over the #1 spot as to where people get their main source of news. And then people like you will have nothing to cry about.

The reason that the sole right leaning television outlet has such high ratings, and perhaps as you predict the internet will take over as the number one source, is because people were tired of being fed an opinion by editorialists who disguised themselves as journalists. It's funny when the left whines about many of the editorial programs on FOX. It's like they are offended when people don't hide their agenda.

you must be joking......i live in th sf bay area....if i go to a dinner party and so much as question the topic being discussed....the venom and hate overflows .....

I'm going to call Shenanigans on this one.

Point is, there is plenty of room in Academia for anyone who is not leftist.

^^^ The heartbreak of delusional thinking on parade.

You are clueless regarding the environment on most university campuses.

I suggest you search David Horowitz for a bit of EDUMACATIONIZINGMENT.

Last edited:
It's not just this board, bub.

Those of us who are not Progressives (i.e. ranging from Moderate to Conservative) are not going to be silenced by the hyper Left. Your end of the spectrum has controlled the mainstream media and academia for years - and you begrudge us having a voice.

Tough Shit.

Progressivism and liberalism aren't synonymous. I'm a liberal but a strongly libertarian liberal, not a progressive. There are progressive conservatives. The whole relabelling of liberal as progressive is idiocy, even though they took the label on themselves it's like calling anybody leaning right a neocon.

slackjawed said:
I am more libertarian than left or right, but have been called both liberal and conservative on this board.

I feel your pain. But when the usual suspects call me a libtard and a rightwingnut at the same time, I know I'm probably just making some kind of sense. :cool:

Forum List

Back