Should Either Political Side in the U.S. Object to this Statement by Trump, Re: Tarrifs on Companies that send Jobs out of the Country?

I understand your problem
No, actually you don't.
By “mistake” you mean someone working for trump who was raised during the time when china was just a business partner having the lowest bid on a product and placing an order with them
LOL..Again, it's incredible how self-delusional you are.
Thats exactly the wrong thinking that trump’s china policy is meant to change
True or false...if he wasn't pandering for your vote, he'd still have his clothing made in China.
I think he has opened a lot of people’s eyes and thats confusing for you
I think it's exposed the absolute gullibility of the average American that this con man can pretend to be contrite and idiots like you buy it.

True or false...if he wasn't pandering for your vote, he'd still have his clothing made in China.
Probably so

If trump was still a mere businessman why not buy from china?

But as political leader of a nation trump has higher priorities

Probably so

If trump was still a mere businessman why not buy from china?

But as political leader of a nation trump has higher priorities

Wow; thanks for saying the quiet part out loud.

So given that bit of idiotic thinking...can you think of a single reason for corporate America to change it's ways? I mean...if your lord and master was going to still buy from China...why would expect anyone else to change their ways?

So given that bit of idiotic thinking...can you think of a single reason for corporate America to change it's ways?
Yes I can

The policy of free trade with communist china is bad for America

Dont you think thats a good reason to change?

candycorn

That may be too much for lib globalists to understand

Particularly if you are a corporate leader of an American company who is not a native born American

Or a trump hater

Yes I can

The policy of free trade with communist china is bad for America
As it was when your blob was doing it. Something you completely have excused.
Dont you think thats a good reason to change?
I think it's a great reason to change.

That is why I don't support your blob who took part in it. But somehow...you do. Again...it's incredible the amount of self delusionment you freely admit to.

As it was when your blob was doing it. Something you completely have excused.
I didnt excuse anything

Trump wants to change trade policy that everyone including trump has to live by

You on the other hand expect him to unilaterally put his business at a disadvantage

Which is insane

I didnt excuse anything
Sure you did. You've forgiven him for sending jobs overseas. Why?
Trump wants to change trade policy that everyone including trump has to live by
Yet he didn't do it during his term.
You on the other hand expect him to unilaterally put his business at a disadvantage
Put his business at a disadvantage? Yeah okay. The guy has supposedly made billions in real estate. His clothing line was the size of a rounding error on a spreadsheet. It would have never jeopardized his alleged riches one bit to have had his stuff made here. Levi's Strauss, Brooks Brothers, Acme boots, Wrangler, yes... their bread and butter is clothing. Your blob's companies? Nope.

I mean..at least make a half assed attempt to be honest.

You do know that your blob is a poster child for a globalist, right?
Every businessman in American became a globalist in the 1990’s after congress passed free trade with china and NAFTA

Trump was the first to see the error of those policies

Every businessman in American became a globalist in the 1990’s after congress passed free trade with china and NAFTA

Trump was the first to see the error of those policies

Then why did he not do anything about it while in office?

Why did he keep NAFTA and just give it a pretty new name?

Sure you did. You've forgiven him for sending jobs overseas. Why?

Yet he didn't do it during his term.

Put his business at a disadvantage? Yeah okay. The guy has supposedly made billions in real estate. His clothing line was the size of a rounding error on a spreadsheet. It would have never jeopardized his alleged riches one bit to have had his stuff made here. Levi's Strauss, Brooks Brothers, Acme boots, Wrangler, yes... their bread and butter is clothing. Your blob's companies? Nope.

I mean..at least make a half assed attempt to be honest.
Its not your money so its easy for you to tell trump how to run his business

trump is advocating trade policies that are good for America and thats driving you nuts with envy

Last edited:
Importers pay the tariffs. Its doubtful that the resulting loss of sales tax revenue is offset by the tariffs. For example, if you import 500 widgets, the importer pays for whatever the gross tonnage on 500 widgets is usually. It often isn't broken down by wholesale price because of type and kind variances and also the actual price and book price are two different things. Weight is a constant.
Not sure I see the logic with that one.
Anyway, Wal*Mart pays a tariff on the widget. And then they sell the widgets with a sales tax on each unit.
This is where the logic breaks down. If Walmart sells 500,000 widgets in one state, they charge the same sales tax, regardless of whether the widgets were made in Taiwan or Ohio.
The thing is that if you jack up the tariff, Wal*Mart is going to buy less of them. Thusly, they are not going to sell as many so the sales tax revenue that goes to the States and not Uncle Sam is lessened. On top of Wal*Mart not importing as much gross tonnage or--doing what most retailers would do--import their widget from a country that hasn't been targeted yet because of political reasons.
Walmart will still buy as many as they can sell. If the price doubled, which is a stretch, people may not buy it. But they won't say to themselves "I guess I don't need that widget after all. My tight pickle lids will just have to stay closed!" They will look for another widget, which may well be a non-tariff widget made in Little Rock, Arkansas.

What a tariff might motivate Walmart buyers to do is look for manufacturers in the U.S. who can sell their goods without the burden of the tariff. That will encourage new namufacturers to operate in the U.S. which is the goal, I would say, moreso than encouraging those who abandoned the American worker to come back.

Still, you have come up with some reasonable objections to the idea, which is all I asked in the OP, so you win the thread, I say with no sarcasm.

Wrong. He is a businessman doing business according to US trade agreements and laws.

Plenty of great American business owners would love to manufacture in the US, but can’t because they have to compete with cheap overseas labor costs, so they also end up having their stuff made in places like China.

The only way to fix it is tariffs. So pointing out how Trump businesses worked within this broken system only confirms what he is saying. I personally know small business owners that would like to make their own stuff but cannot because competition from cheap Chinese labor makes it not economically feasible.
Then you'll complain about inflation. And about your portfolio losing money because Waal Street will punish those companies not making as much profit as their "analysts" say they should.

Not sure I see the logic with that one.

This is where the logic breaks down. If Walmart sells 500,000 widgets in one state, they charge the same sales tax, regardless of whether the widgets were made in Taiwan or Ohio.Walmart will still buy as many as they can sell. If the price doubled, which is a stretch, people may not buy it.
Have you ever heard of "Bud's"? That is where Wal*Mart used to send it's stuff they couldn't sell. Now I think they send most of it to Ollie's.

But they won't say to themselves "I guess I don't need that widget after all. My tight pickle lids will just have to stay closed!" They will look for another widget, which may well be a non-tariff widget made in Little Rock, Arkansas.

What a tariff might motivate Walmart buyers to do is look for manufacturers in the U.S. who can sell their goods without the burden of the tariff. That will encourage new namufacturers to operate in the U.S. which is the goal, I would say, moreso than encouraging those who abandoned the American worker to come back.
What is going to happen 99 times out of 100 (if not 100 out of 100) is that they will buy the widget from a country who's not been targeted. Vietnam benefitted greatly from Trump's trade war with China.
Still, you have come up with some reasonable objections to the idea, which is all I asked in the OP, so you win the thread, I say with no sarcasm.
These "objections" are pretty much econ 101.

The fact is even if there were zero unions and wages matched overseas wages, businesses would still leave. They don't like the hardest working people on earth. There is no other country in the world that comes close to how hard americans do. american workers work longer and harder than anywhere.

Tax companies who layoff Americans to move their jobs to other countries whose workers are less expensive due to their standard of living being so much lower. Tax them on goods they turn around to sell back to Americans, that is.

It seems that both political sides would support that. But, maybe I'm missing something. If you have a legitimate objection to the idea, I'd love to read it and discuss it.

Thanks!

Yes. We already saw this act before. It failed. Tariffs are a tax on the consumer. Those jobs are still gone, and the companies don't lose a dime.

This is another scam for the orange shitstain faithful to swallow.

Want to hurt companies that move jobs?

You tax them back to the stone age. Which is what should also be happening to companies that hire illegal aliens.

Tariffs only work to protect an existing industry against artificially low prices from overseas. The idea is to bring the imported goods prices in line with the same domestically produced ones. If there are no domestically produced ones, it will not incentivize companies to bring manufacturing back in the US. They will simply pass the extra costs to consumers.

Forum List

Back