Poland offers US up to $2B for permanent military base

Poland is our best friend and ally in Europe today

We should take them up on this and just leave Germany altogether

Poland wants a permanent U.S. military presence — and is willing to pony up as much as $2 billion to get it, according to a defense ministry proposal obtained by Polish news portal Onet.

The Polish offer reflects a long-standing desire in Warsaw to build closer security relations with the U.S. and put American boots on the ground. The push dates back to Poland’s entry into NATO in 1999, but has taken on added urgency in the wake of Russia’s annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea region four years ago and aggressive posture toward the alliance.

Yes, move to a country that's becoming increasingly right wing. The US loves that, but then why does Poland want the US base there?

Would be a wash if we closed a base in Gernany

Poland wants a permanent U.S. military presence — and is willing to pony up as much as $2 billion to get it, according to a defense ministry proposal obtained by Polish news portal Onet.

The Polish offer reflects a long-standing desire in Warsaw to build closer security relations with the U.S. and put American boots on the ground. The push dates back to Poland’s entry into NATO in 1999, but has taken on added urgency in the wake of Russia’s annexation of Ukraine’s Crimea region four years ago and aggressive posture toward the alliance.

Yes, move to a country that's becoming increasingly right wing. The US loves that, but then why does Poland want the US base there?

"a wash"? I don't understand that.

"a wash"? I don't understand that.

If we transfer a base from Germany to Poland, how does it cost more?

Especially if the Poles are willing to pay?

Poland, our best ally in Europe? God, when that becomes the case then we know we've lost a lot of credibility around the globe.
Western Europe is a cesspool of piss and shit why would we want to be allies?… LOL

Idiotic move....

For so many reasons... In a fight you need Germany beside you if possible...

How about Trump stop being an asshole? He is getting the US beaten everyday... China are laughing... Trump has made US the laughing stock of the world...
Lol
Germany is known for three things two world wars and genocide...
so shut the fuck up you pussy.

Bush had initiated discussions to move bases from Germany to Poland. His effort was in part due to Germany's hesitation in supporting the Gulf war. The Germans realized the economic loss they would suffer if the bases moved and fought to keep them.

Analysis: U.S. base plans shakes up allies

Bush may have looked at it, but Trump may well do it

Doubtful any president will.

There is only a very small number of US troops presently based in western Poland and our other defensive military efforts have only served to provoke Russian threats of a possible nuclear attack against Poland. Putin countered US moves to install a missile shield in Poland by increasing the number of tactical nuclear missiles in Kaliningrad, on Poland's northern border and clearly stating that Russia would nuke Poland if the missile shield was installed.

Moscow warns it could strike Poland over US missile shield

Russia threatens nuclear attack on Poland over US missile shield deal

A significant US military base would be viewed as a threat by Russia akin to the "Cuban missile crisis" under Kennedy. At least that is how Russian propaganda would play it up. Putin is an asshole but he knows that the only thing keeping him in power is feeding Russian egos on the myth that Russia remains significant on the world stage.

Because there is little upside to a base in Poland I doubt any president would risk the confrontation.

You realize that Putin is not going to initiate a nuclear war over conventional ground troops in Poland. If he does, you have only hours left to live.

Cost a ton of money to do so.............We are established in Germany..........and Germany has much better military there............which offers protection for our forces..................

Poland wants a security blanket..............especially with the Russia doing exercises near their border.....................

I see no reason to move..............I also see no reason to move out of Germany as the location is Strategic...................

Poland as a member of NATO has our support should they need it....................Russia will not cross that line.

Cost a ton of money to do so.............We are established in Germany..........and Germany has much better military there............which offers protection for our forces..................

Poland wants a security blanket..............especially with the Russia doing exercises near their border.....................

I see no reason to move..............I also see no reason to move out of Germany as the location is Strategic...................

Poland as a member of NATO has our support should they need it....................Russia will not cross that line.

How about the fact that Germany is being overrun with Muslim refugees, but Poland won't let them stay?

I hope we take them up on that. We should move out of Germany and to more friendly territory.
Agreed. We should pack up all our German military basis and move them to Poland. Heck, let's put a few in Ukraine. That will get those German welfare ticks into a great big hissy fit.

How about the fact that Germany is being overrun with Muslim refugees, but Poland won't let them stay?

Yep

And the Poles love us

It seems to me that's the purpose of our NATO military forces in Europe: to protect NATO members. Poland is a NATO member, isn't it? It's more likely to be attacked than Germany.

A good point...........Poland is making good on the 2% to defense spending.......Germany not so much.

Trump should relocate US military forces in Germany to Poland

Nevertheless, Merkel's "appropriate contribution" deal shows that no amount of U.S. complaining will make things better with Berlin. Only action can do that.

Correspondingly, it's time to begin relocating the U.S. military out of Germany and into Poland.

While the cost and time required to move tens of thousands of U.S. forces to Poland would be significant in the short term, the ultimate dividends would be far greater.

After all, this move wouldn't simply recognize that Germany is no longer committed to NATO, it would reinforce that which makes NATO most credible: forward presence and the reinforcement of an at-threat ally. And both geographically and strategically, Poland is on the front line of the Russian military threat. Equally important, the Polish government is committedto NATO: it already spends 2 percent of GDP on defense and is moving towards 2.5 percent (even though Germany's economy is seven times larger), has proven and aggressive combat forces, and is investing in more advanced armored forces.

In addition, as the map below shows, bases in Poland would put the U.S. military right alongside the Baltic states and the Russian enclave in Kaliningrad. The Russians respect strength and this move would be that.

There would also be peripheral benefits from a move to Poland. Namely, the fact that its living costs are lower than in Germany and its people more pro-American.

Don't get me wrong, I recognize that Germany is an American friend and will continue to be an important economic and diplomatic partner. Yet alliances are ultimately not built on words, but on shared commitments in the context of serious challenges. Germany is only willing to live up to the latter half of that construct.

Poland, our best ally in Europe? God, when that becomes the case then we know we've lost a lot of credibility around the globe.
The snowflake conception of "credibility" means groveling before the countries that kick us in the ass every chance they get.

I'd like to see our military's view on such a move..........especially Centcom Europe on this issue.

Forum List

Back