Poland offers US up to $2B for permanent military base

Bush had initiated discussions to move bases from Germany to Poland. His effort was in part due to Germany's hesitation in supporting the Gulf war. The Germans realized the economic loss they would suffer if the bases moved and fought to keep them.

Analysis: U.S. base plans shakes up allies

Bush may have looked at it, but Trump may well do it

Doubtful any president will.

There is only a very small number of US troops presently based in western Poland and our other defensive military efforts have only served to provoke Russian threats of a possible nuclear attack against Poland. Putin countered US moves to install a missile shield in Poland by increasing the number of tactical nuclear missiles in Kaliningrad, on Poland's northern border and clearly stating that Russia would nuke Poland if the missile shield was installed.

Moscow warns it could strike Poland over US missile shield

Russia threatens nuclear attack on Poland over US missile shield deal

A significant US military base would be viewed as a threat by Russia akin to the "Cuban missile crisis" under Kennedy. At least that is how Russian propaganda would play it up. Putin is an asshole but he knows that the only thing keeping him in power is feeding Russian egos on the myth that Russia remains significant on the world stage.

Because there is little upside to a base in Poland I doubt any president would risk the confrontation.

You realize that Putin is not going to initiate a nuclear war over conventional ground troops in Poland. If he does, you have only hours left to live.

If Putin didn't respond to the creation of a significant US military base in Poland his rule would be finished and his fate would be sealed. Whether it would be a tactical strike using an Iskander missile whose range is only 400 to 500 km or sending Russian troops to "rescue" Russian citizens in Poland (the same claim was made when Russia invaded Georgia), it will happen. Human life is cheap to Russians and Putin would gladly sacrifice his people in order to stay in power.

You actually believe Putin would attack U.S. troops in Poland? I think that would be suicidal on his part.

I have no doubt that Putin would commit an act of aggression against Poland but would certainly try to avoid hitting US troops at least initially. Our small contingent of troops are presently stationed in western Poland near the border with Germany. To prove his intent I believe Putin would hit eastern Poland.

Poland, our best ally in Europe? God, when that becomes the case then we know we've lost a lot of credibility around the globe.
Western Europe is a cesspool of piss and shit why would we want to be allies?… LOL

Western Europe is a cesspool compared to Poland? :21:
Yes, the people are a cesspool... Incest runs strong in Western Europe. Fact

You're a cesspool, incest? Says more about you than Western Europe, get out of the country, take a trip, get to know other cultures.

Poland, our best ally in Europe? God, when that becomes the case then we know we've lost a lot of credibility around the globe.
The snowflake conception of "credibility" means groveling before the countries that kick us in the ass every chance they get.

No, it means when they don't point at your leader and laugh.
You mean like they did with Obama?

I don't think they're laughing, douchebag.

You're right, it;s a combination of eye rolls and palm slaps.

I would guess the cost to set our military up in Poland would exceed $2 billion by a wide margin.

Why?

Simply the cost of things I read about these days. Stadiums and truck factories costing a billion bucks to construct, Intel spending $7 billion to finish nearby Fab 42 which was mothballed back in 2014. Article gave me impression that the "up to" $2 billion would cover cost of construction but nothing in regard to the year-after-year on-going costs.

The snowflake conception of "credibility" means groveling before the countries that kick us in the ass every chance they get.

All of our opponents are laughing.

"***** abandons missile defence shield in Europe
US president shelves scheme in Poland and Czech Republic"

Obama abandons missile defence shield in Europe

It doesn't matter WHO did it, it was done. Now they angling to get it.

Poland signed a 5 billion dollar deal with Raytheon in March of this year to buy four (4) Patriot missile units with an option to buy additional units. They really don't need a missile defense system to protect Europe and the US on Polish soil (which was the original purpose of the "missile defense shield").

The angle is very simple: Poland wants a US military base to provide assurance that if the country is attacked that help will be provided (something that was promised but never delivered in WWII).

Poland signed a 5 billion dollar deal with Raytheon in March of this year to buy four (4) Patriot missile units with an option to buy additional units. They really don't need a missile defense system to protect Europe and the US on Polish soil (which was the original purpose of the "missile defense shield").

The angle is very simple: Poland wants a US military base to provide assurance that if the country is attacked that help will be provided (something that was promised but never delivered in WWII).

We have a nasty habit of not honoring our agreements. But regardless of whether or not they purchased the defense system (and they did), the US will put in more rather leave than it's Troops exposed. The MIC would be standing on the Pentagon Porch with hand out.

We have a nasty habit of not honoring our agreements. But regardless of whether or not they purchased the defense system (and they did), the US will put in more rather leave than it's Troops exposed. The MIC would be standing on the Pentagon Porch with hand out.

I agree with your point about our bringing additional investment to better support our troops should a base be built but I doubt that a base will be built, given the limited value it would offer strategically and the risk that the Russians would use the move to create a confrontation.

Bush had initiated discussions to move bases from Germany to Poland. His effort was in part due to Germany's hesitation in supporting the Gulf war. The Germans realized the economic loss they would suffer if the bases moved and fought to keep them.

Analysis: U.S. base plans shakes up allies

There is only a very small number of US troops presently based in western Poland and our other defensive military efforts have only served to provoke Russian threats of a possible nuclear attack against Poland. Putin countered US moves to install a missile shield in Poland by increasing the number of tactical nuclear missiles in Kaliningrad, on Poland's northern border and clearly stating that Russia would nuke Poland if the missile shield was installed.

A significant US military base would be viewed as a threat by Russia akin to the "Cuban missile crisis" under Kennedy. At least that is how Russian propaganda would play it up. Putin is an asshole but he knows that the only thing keeping him in power is feeding Russian egos on the myth that Russia remains significant on the world stage.

Because there is little upside to a base in Poland I doubt any president would risk the confrontation.

You realize that Putin is not going to initiate a nuclear war over conventional ground troops in Poland. If he does, you have only hours left to live.

If Putin didn't respond to the creation of a significant US military base in Poland his rule would be finished and his fate would be sealed. Whether it would be a tactical strike using an Iskander missile whose range is only 400 to 500 km or sending Russian troops to "rescue" Russian citizens in Poland (the same claim was made when Russia invaded Georgia), it will happen. Human life is cheap to Russians and Putin would gladly sacrifice his people in order to stay in power.

Not going to happen. The Russians are getting spanked all around the world.

You actually believe Putin would attack U.S. troops in Poland? I think that would be suicidal on his part.

I have no doubt that Putin would commit an act of aggression against Poland but would certainly try to avoid hitting US troops at least initially. Our small contingent of troops are presently stationed in western Poland near the border with Germany. To prove his intent I believe Putin would hit eastern Poland.

Poland is NATO, or did you forget that little tidbit! An attack on Poland is an attack on NATO and the US.

Not going to happen.

]Try that post again in English this time please! :D

You said we've been doing that (closing bases) since. 1993. That's 25 years ago. My plan would be to have all the bases closed in 25 months, at the longest.

You are delusional. Our primary medical facility for our troops in the Middle East is in Germany.

You're right, it;s a combination of eye rolls and palm slaps.
Fools often ridicule what they don't understand.

You are delusional. Our primary medical facility for our troops in the Middle East is in Germany.

Those troops shouldn't be in the ME to begin with. Nor should they be in Korea, Germany, or anywhere else outside the United States.

Go crawl back under your rock where the boogie man can't get you.

There is something to being stupid and keeping it a secret and quite another to broadcast it.

Those troops shouldn't be in the ME to begin with. Nor should they be in Korea, Germany, or anywhere else outside the United States.

But they are and they need to be.

Our weak points are not making these so-called Western European "allies"
more responsible and accountable to us.

Pretty hard to turn down that kind of cheese, but i'd rather see us exit Europe and disband NATO.

But they are and they need to be.

Our weak points are not making these so-called Western European "allies" more responsible and accountable to us.

No, they dont need to be there.

WE HAVE NO ALLIES!!! Get that through your thick head. Those European "allies" have more in common philosophically with Josef Stalin than George Washington.

We hold them accountable by pulling the 80 years of defense we've given them for free and letting them devour each other like wolves.

Forum List

Back