People are poor because (not what the Leftists tell you).

I'd guess it was a very different country then. Sure is different just from when I was a kid.
It was 40 yrs ago not 100. Funny you support small government when it comes to abortion but you support big govt when it comes to minimal wage. I consistently say stay the F out.
When did I say that I support minimum wage? I want to see changes so we have good capitalism again. We need to throw out non competes and do something about all these near monopolies we have. We need to get rid of right to work and unions need to strengthen again. We need to end all this corporate welfare and cronyism. We sure don't need the government meddling around with trade.
Unions are part of the problem not the solution
Worker wages, benefits and job security have diminished since the demise of unions
Unions were not all positive they created a lot of issues too.
Nope, not all positive. But the created lots of good paying jobs that really feed a strong economy.

When did I say that I support minimum wage? I want to see changes so we have good capitalism again. We need to throw out non competes and do something about all these near monopolies we have. We need to get rid of right to work and unions need to strengthen again. We need to end all this corporate welfare and cronyism. We sure don't need the government meddling around with trade.
Worker wages, benefits and job security have diminished since the demise of unions
Yes they did

But workers were better off with strong unions
Some not all. Example: A restaurant was being built in Boston and the CFO went non union because it was cheaper. Union protested by blocking and distracting but using the union would have cost the owner 2x the amount. Crazy. Unions aren’t all great.
Better for him, not better for the workers

Again my parents came here with $100 and didn’t speak the language. Anything is possible. Don’t be such a sally.
I'd guess it was a very different country then. Sure is different just from when I was a kid.
It was 40 yrs ago not 100. Funny you support small government when it comes to abortion but you support big govt when it comes to minimal wage. I consistently say stay the F out.
Yeah and that's how we got here. The republican war on good paying jobs. Remember when repubs told us about how great it would be when unions were gone? Well they are mostly gone and it sucks.
Some unions are stupid. MLB players? Union of millionaires.

Yes they did

Some not all. Example: A restaurant was being built in Boston and the CFO went non union because it was cheaper. Union protested by blocking and distracting but using the union would have cost the owner 2x the amount. Crazy. Unions aren’t all great.
Better for his workers as he can pay them more vs paying more for one time construction. Govt should stay out of free markets.

Three Simple Rules Poor Teens Should Follow to Join the Middle Class

It has nothing to do with oppression, race, religion, etc.

Follow three simple rules and you will not be poor:

#1) Graduate High School

#2) Get a job

#3) Don't become a single parent.

This is from the LEFT leaning Brookings Institute. One way to pay down debt and improve our budget is to reduce entitlements such as welfare and this is a start.

Today, more than 40% of American children, including more than 70% of black children and 50% of Hispanic children, are born outside marriage.

The above is ridiculous. I would even consider paying young women NOT to have kids until marriage or they can afford it to make sure they don't get on welfare and continue this cycle.

I welcome all your thoughts. Even the crazy Leftist ones.
To an extent you are correct

But your prospects of escaping poverty have decreased in recent decades as the compensation for HS Graduates has decreased as have career advancement opportunities in the workplace
Join the military and they pay for college
Many, many poor people join the military
Most end up in their old neighborhood with no job prospects when they get out
The mistake they made was going back to the old neighborhood they joined the military to get away from

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
Seen this before, up close in civilian world. Young man from a really bad part of a small town near here had made mistakes and paid for them in his teen years. He became a good young man with family, had straightened out his life, was working at decent job, rented the house across from mine, kept it and his yard neat, played with his well behaved, polite kids out front. He went to a party in his old neighborhood one night, later left with a friend. They were pulled over, he was still on parole, afraid to be caught up in the friends traffic stop. Jumped out with nothing in his hands, not wearing a hoodie and ran. Not toward the police but into a field next to where I used to be Plant Manager. One of the young policemen put two rounds in his back. Been years, his family moved away, and in a couple of years got a large settlement, but I will never forget that young man. I'll tell anyone anywhere, if you are in a broken neighborhood going nowhere and you are lucky enough to get out by military or any other way.., DON'T EVER GO BACK.

Yes. Jews from the old Soviet Union. Doesn’t mean their road was easy. Don’t dismiss their struggles. The language barrier is difficult to overcome.

Again, white people off the boat have more advantages than minorities... that's the problem with our racist society. Also, back in the day, the government was handing out all sorts of benefits to "refugees".

Yeah. Likely story. The universe didn’t want you reproducing. Thankfully. You’re going to die a lonely old man and soon. Good riddance.

Funny, the only one who comes off as hateful here is you...
In your humble opinion. Yet you did not dispute my post. You ll be dust and no one will remember you or care. That to me is outstanding.

Again my parents came here with $100 and didn’t speak the language. Anything is possible. Don’t be such a sally.

Your parents were white... that's an E-ticket in America.
My parents are white. Not “were”. They still had to face the the English language barrier. Do you consider Asians as “white”?

Yes they did

Better for his workers as he can pay them more vs paying more for one time construction. Govt should stay out of free markets.
That’s the rub.
Without unions employers can pay their workers more......but they don’t

Yes they did

That’s the rub.
They do in New England or else they lose them. Unemployment is 3% in Boston. My clients are having a very difficult time retaining and attaining blue collar employees. They have raised wages and are paying bonuses.

Yes they did

That’s the rub.
They do in New England or else they lose them. Unemployment is 3% in Boston. My clients are having a very difficult time retaining and attaining blue collar employees. They have raised wages and are paying bonuses.
Some employers are forced to raise wages to keep their key employees

I worked 40 years and never saw economic conditions so good. 3.5 percent unemployment, 40 percent cut in corporate taxes, low interest rates.

When I worked, I routinely saw wage increases above 4 percent a year. Yet in this climate, we are only seeing 2-3 percent

Yes they did

That’s the rub.
"Raising wages" from $6 to $6.25 doesn't do much for labor retention

I just attended a conference where they talked about how hard it was to get HVAC mechanics and building maintenance people.

What they failed to mention was that they pay these people $15/hr. That's 30K a year folks.

That’s the rub.

I worked 40 years and never saw economic conditions so good. 3.5 percent unemployment, 40 percent cut in corporate taxes, low interest rates.

When I worked, I routinely saw wage increases above 4 percent a year. Yet in this climate, we are only seeing 2-3 percent
So then if you want to be paid more all you have to do is make yourself a key employee.
If your current employer won't pay you more than you take the skills you learned at his expense and apply for a better job at another place

It really is that simple

That’s the rub.

So then if you want to be paid more all you have to do is make yourself a key employee.
If your current employer won't pay you more than you take the skills you learned at his expense and apply for a better job at another place

It really is that simple
Once again you miss the key issue
The problem is with 55 million poor people. 55 million people can’t be key employees
Even if they were, the pay for key employees would drop

That’s the rub.

It really is that simple
Once again you miss the key issue
The problem is with 55 million poor people. 55 million people can’t be key employees
Even if they were, the pay for key employees would drop

But they can better their skills and get a better job somewhere else.

If you only ever aspire to do a shit job then a shit job is all you will ever have

Forum List

Back