People are poor because (not what the Leftists tell you).

Some not all. Example: A restaurant was being built in Boston and the CFO went non union because it was cheaper. Union protested by blocking and distracting but using the union would have cost the owner 2x the amount. Crazy. Unions aren’t all great.
Better for him, not better for the workers
Better for his workers as he can pay them more vs paying more for one time construction. Govt should stay out of free markets.
That’s the rub.
Without unions employers can pay their workers more......but they don’t
They do in New England or else they lose them. Unemployment is 3% in Boston. My clients are having a very difficult time retaining and attaining blue collar employees. They have raised wages and are paying bonuses.
"Raising wages" from $6 to $6.25 doesn't do much for labor retention

I just attended a conference where they talked about how hard it was to get HVAC mechanics and building maintenance people.

What they failed to mention was that they pay these people $15/hr. That's 30K a year folks.

If they don't work OT. Again, Herr Lesh, supply and demand. Learn economics.

Some not all. Example: A restaurant was being built in Boston and the CFO went non union because it was cheaper. Union protested by blocking and distracting but using the union would have cost the owner 2x the amount. Crazy. Unions aren’t all great.
Better for his workers as he can pay them more vs paying more for one time construction. Govt should stay out of free markets.
That’s the rub.
They do in New England or else they lose them. Unemployment is 3% in Boston. My clients are having a very difficult time retaining and attaining blue collar employees. They have raised wages and are paying bonuses.
Some employers are forced to raise wages to keep their key employees

I worked 40 years and never saw economic conditions so good. 3.5 percent unemployment, 40 percent cut in corporate taxes, low interest rates.

When I worked, I routinely saw wage increases above 4 percent a year. Yet in this climate, we are only seeing 2-3 percent

2-3% of a higher amount though than you were getting and that does not incorporate promotions, which is how you really move the needle.

That’s the rub.

I worked 40 years and never saw economic conditions so good. 3.5 percent unemployment, 40 percent cut in corporate taxes, low interest rates.

When I worked, I routinely saw wage increases above 4 percent a year. Yet in this climate, we are only seeing 2-3 percent
So then if you want to be paid more all you have to do is make yourself a key employee.
If your current employer won't pay you more than you take the skills you learned at his expense and apply for a better job at another place

It really is that simple
Once again you miss the key issue
The problem is with 55 million poor people. 55 million people can’t be key employees
Even if they were, the pay for key employees would drop

Poverty USA

It is not that bad. What would you do to change it? Force private businesses to pay more? Eliminate automation?

That’s the rub.

I just attended a conference where they talked about how hard it was to get HVAC mechanics and building maintenance people.

What they failed to mention was that they pay these people $15/hr. That's 30K a year folks.

That's also entry level, and based on where you live. You are citing the lowest end of the scale for HVAC, but you can make up to twice that much with experience and again, depending on where you live.

HVAC Salary and Hourly Wage

That’s the rub.

So then if you want to be paid more all you have to do is make yourself a key employee.
If your current employer won't pay you more than you take the skills you learned at his expense and apply for a better job at another place

It really is that simple
The problem is with 55 million poor people. 55 million people can’t be key employees

But they can better their skills and get a better job somewhere else.

If you only ever aspire to do a shit job then a shit job is all you will ever have
Are there 55 million “better jobs” out there?

That’s the rub.

Supply and demand falls apart when management controls the supply

Herr Asshole

That’s the rub.

2-3% of a higher amount though than you were getting and that does not incorporate promotions, which is how you really move the needle.
I’m looking at the job market as a whole

Wage increases overall have been timid

It really is that simple

If you only ever aspire to do a shit job then a shit job is all you will ever have

IDK - but what is your solution? Fewer people?

That’s the rub.

Supply and demand falls apart when management controls the supply

Herr Asshole

Wrong again. If I run a plant that produces doorknobs and I need to fill orders I will hire as many people as I can to fill those or automate. If a competitor pays more then I have to match or increase to get the best people. The economy controls the supply and demand. Learn economics, Herr lesh.

That’s the rub.

I agree. Even in white collar jobs. To get ahead you need promotions or switch companies.

It really is that simple

You know as well as I do that not all those people will choose to better themselves so as to make more money

If you're struck in a dead end job for 20 years it's no one's fault but your own

It really is that simple

My solution is to abandon supply side policies.
They have been an abysmal failure ....
Employers just keep the money

That’s the rub.

Because the skill level required for most jobs is pretty low.

It's easier and easier to produce more and better products than it used to be so the people producing those things are more unskilled than ever.

The guy who loads a wood blank into a computerized lathe and pushes a button is worth a lot less than the guy who used to turn the wood by hand.

It really is that simple

They get to keep what they earn and they earn in direct proportion to the worth of their labor to the marketplace

It really is that simple

You know as well as I do that not all those people will choose to better themselves so as to make more money

If you're struck in a dead end job for 20 years it's no one's fault but your own
Comes down to opportunities
There are not many opportunities available to the poor. Minimum wage has been frozen for a decade. Those with jobs see little opportunity for advancement

Poor people are poor because they are taxed too much?

HELLO earth to winger.
How stupid are you?
How much taxes do you think poor people pay?

Poor people pay a shit ton of Dem taxes, HELLO earth...to...winger. :icon_rolleyes:
Name some

Are you insane, go live in a Dem blue state like NY or CA then tell me the poor don't pay any Dem taxes and fees and tolls YOU PEOPLE screw over the poor every chance you get. Compassionate Dem's in Oregon SLAM the poor with a goddamn 9% income tax that's how compassionate they are.

It really is that simple

Comes down to opportunities
There are not many opportunities available to the poor. Minimum wage has been frozen for a decade. Those with jobs see little opportunity for advancement

You make your own opportunities if you sit on your ass and wait for opportunity then you'll be waiting a long time

It really is that simple

So when was the last time we used supply side? The real problem that nobody wants to address is our drug problem. So if we can't control that, then the next possible step is outlawing drug screens on all jobs. But is that really the way to go?

It really is that simple

Many work these on purpose to get Gov't aid and work other jobs under the table.

Forum List

Back