Pelosi Calls For Gun Registration

How is a firearm registration going to keep anyone safe?

Then why does obeying the law keep anyone safe? Not that hard to understand.

"Only 2 of the 743 gunshot deaths occurring in the home involved an intruder killed during an attempted entry, and only 9 of the deaths were determined by police/courts to be justified (FE Zimring, Firearms, violence, and public policy, Scientific American, vol. 265, 1991, p. 48). The evidence revealed in the Kellermann study is consistent with data reported by the FBI. In 1993, there were 24,526 people murdered, 13,980 with handguns, yet only 251 justifiable homicides by civilians using handguns. (FBI, Crime in the United States: Uniform Crime Reports 1994, 1995)."

A Case for Gun Control

Why would law abiding people be opposed to law. You guys often ask that question, now answer it. No right is written in stone - life and the world changes.

"Only 2 of the 743 gunshot deaths occurring in the home involved an intruder killed during an attempted entry, and only 9 of the deaths were determined by police/courts to be justified (FE Zimring, Firearms, violence, and public policy, Scientific American, vol. 265, 1991, p. 48). The evidence revealed in the Kellermann study is consistent with data reported by the FBI. In 1993, there were 24,526 people murdered, 13,980 with handguns, yet only 251 justifiable homicides by civilians using handguns. (FBI, Crime in the United States: Uniform Crime Reports 1994, 1995)."

A Case for Gun Control

Why would law abiding people be opposed to law. You guys often ask that question, now answer it. No right is written in stone - life and the world changes.

Strangely, I don't see the word "registration" appear once in your reply. Care to try again?

We already have something like that in Arkansas. In order to carry a pistol, you have to get a concealed carry license which costs almost $300. For that, you get fingerprinted and extensive background checks are performed. If you get pulled over by a cop for whatever reason, they have their gun ready and order you to get out of the car with your hands so they can see them because they know you might have a gun. You also get your name posted on the internet by Libtards like this guy:

Concealed carry permit holders in Arkansas Assaulted by Arkansas Times Editor - Topix

Carrying a gun appears to make you a very dangerous person.

Oddly enough, I was treated very nicely and with common sense by the Arkansas Highway Patrol, about having my pistol with me.

I tow a small camper with me when I tour. It is an enclosed cargo trailer that I customized. It looks like a tool trailer or something from the outside. I only tow it at about 60 - 62 MPH and coming back from KC I was on the interstate heading towrds Little Rock. There were three AHP cars in the median. A few miles later I saw one flying up in my rear view, I thought "shit....he's after somebody". He fell in behind me. I gues driving under the limit is suspicious to some, even if you're hauling a trailer. He stayed back there long enough to run my trailer tags, then pulled up far enough to get my van tags and fell in behind again. Then the other two caught up and pulled in front. They all hit the lights and I pulled over. One came to the window and I gave over my license and registration. He commented "you don't have any deer to shoot in Carolina?" I was confused for a second but realised I was wearing my camo pants. Without thinking I said "Oh no, I'm not hunting here, I'm a musician....." Shit. Never tell them that.

They asked if I had gear in the trailer. I told them no, it was a camper. They asked to have a look. I said "sure". When you open the camper door, the first thing on the right, behind a shower curtain, is a toilet and shower. He looks behind the curtain, turnd and says "you got hot water in there?" "Oh yeah" I say. He calls to one of the other Patrolmen to come take a look. The second guy looks in and sees the shower. "You got hot water?" he ask. "Oh yeah" I say. "Gas on demand." He turns to the other cop and says "this is nicer than the lodge." They were hunters and were pretty interested in my little incognito camper. As one of them stepped inside, I thought about the pistol in there. I told him there was a weapon in there. The one outside stepped between me and the door. The one inside asked where it was so I told him. He asked if it was loaded. I told him it was. He took it to his car.

Next they wanted to check the van. It was full of speakers, PA and guitars. Turns out that the third cop was a picker and he got the honor of checking out all my guitars.

Two of them leave and the first one calls me to his car. He ask again if the weapon is loaded. I tell it is. He takes it out and tries to make it safe. The magazine on that particular pistol is a bitch. You have to pinch it just right to get it out. He struggle for a time with it. I tried to tell him how to do it. He couldn't. He asked me if I could make it safe without discharging it in his car. I told him I could. He actually handed me the loaded weapon in his car. I dropped the magazine and checked the chamber and handed it back to him. He checked the chamber himself. The he asked if I had a permit. I told him "no". He asked me what I was doing in Arkansas with a gun and no permit. I explianed that I slept in that camper in all kinds of places and kept the pistrol for defense. I told him that there was no mandatroy gun registry in NC and that I figured that, coupled with the 2nd ammendment agve me the right to protect myself. He nodded his head and said he would ask me to do him a favor. He asked me to keep the weapon locked in the trailer and the ammo up front with me until I was parked. I told him I would. he gave me my pistol and wished me a nice day.

You didn't say why they originally pulled you over but I'm glad you got on your way without too much hassle. Most cops I've met are really good, reasonable people, if you're not a scumbag. I've been let off more than once because my "excuse" made sense to the officer.

We already have something like that in Arkansas. In order to carry a pistol, you have to get a concealed carry license which costs almost $300. For that, you get fingerprinted and extensive background checks are performed. If you get pulled over by a cop for whatever reason, they have their gun ready and order you to get out of the car with your hands so they can see them because they know you might have a gun. You also get your name posted on the internet by Libtards like this guy:

Concealed carry permit holders in Arkansas Assaulted by Arkansas Times Editor - Topix

Carrying a gun appears to make you a very dangerous person.

Oddly enough, I was treated very nicely and with common sense by the Arkansas Highway Patrol, about having my pistol with me.

I tow a small camper with me when I tour. It is an enclosed cargo trailer that I customized. It looks like a tool trailer or something from the outside. I only tow it at about 60 - 62 MPH and coming back from KC I was on the interstate heading towrds Little Rock. There were three AHP cars in the median. A few miles later I saw one flying up in my rear view, I thought "shit....he's after somebody". He fell in behind me. I gues driving under the limit is suspicious to some, even if you're hauling a trailer. He stayed back there long enough to run my trailer tags, then pulled up far enough to get my van tags and fell in behind again. Then the other two caught up and pulled in front. They all hit the lights and I pulled over. One came to the window and I gave over my license and registration. He commented "you don't have any deer to shoot in Carolina?" I was confused for a second but realised I was wearing my camo pants. Without thinking I said "Oh no, I'm not hunting here, I'm a musician....." Shit. Never tell them that.

They asked if I had gear in the trailer. I told them no, it was a camper. They asked to have a look. I said "sure". When you open the camper door, the first thing on the right, behind a shower curtain, is a toilet and shower. He looks behind the curtain, turnd and says "you got hot water in there?" "Oh yeah" I say. He calls to one of the other Patrolmen to come take a look. The second guy looks in and sees the shower. "You got hot water?" he ask. "Oh yeah" I say. "Gas on demand." He turns to the other cop and says "this is nicer than the lodge." They were hunters and were pretty interested in my little incognito camper. As one of them stepped inside, I thought about the pistol in there. I told him there was a weapon in there. The one outside stepped between me and the door. The one inside asked where it was so I told him. He asked if it was loaded. I told him it was. He took it to his car.

Next they wanted to check the van. It was full of speakers, PA and guitars. Turns out that the third cop was a picker and he got the honor of checking out all my guitars.

Two of them leave and the first one calls me to his car. He ask again if the weapon is loaded. I tell it is. He takes it out and tries to make it safe. The magazine on that particular pistol is a bitch. You have to pinch it just right to get it out. He struggle for a time with it. I tried to tell him how to do it. He couldn't. He asked me if I could make it safe without discharging it in his car. I told him I could. He actually handed me the loaded weapon in his car. I dropped the magazine and checked the chamber and handed it back to him. He checked the chamber himself. The he asked if I had a permit. I told him "no". He asked me what I was doing in Arkansas with a gun and no permit. I explianed that I slept in that camper in all kinds of places and kept the pistrol for defense. I told him that there was no mandatroy gun registry in NC and that I figured that, coupled with the 2nd ammendment agve me the right to protect myself. He nodded his head and said he would ask me to do him a favor. He asked me to keep the weapon locked in the trailer and the ammo up front with me until I was parked. I told him I would. he gave me my pistol and wished me a nice day.

You didn't say why they originally pulled you over but I'm glad you got on your way without too much hassle. Most cops I've met are really good, reasonable people, if you're not a scumbag. I've been let off more than once because my "excuse" made sense to the officer.

I never asked them why and they never said. I assumed it was because I was out of state and driving under the speed limit. Must have looked suspicious. That and a cargo trailer is enough to get you pulled over, I guess.

I can kind of make the paralell between car registration and gun registration. We are given the right to bear arms and the right to freedom of travel. Now, there is no specific mention of what kind of travel. Nor is there any specific kind of arms mentioned. Most have argued that freedom of travel is just your feet (horses maybe) and that there is a significant public safety issue with cars. By that logic, arms could mean slingshots and muzzel loaders only.

I don't make the argument for the sake of gun control, but vehicle license, registration and inspections are unconstitutional, IMHO.

Last edited:

I never asked them why and they never said. I assumed it was because I was out of state and driving under the speed limit. Must have looked suspicious. That and a cargo trailer is enough to get you pulled over, I guess.

I can kind of make the paralell between car registration and gun registration. We are given the right to bear arms and the right to freedom of travel. Now, there is no specific mention of what kind of travel. Nor is there any specific kind of arms mentioned. Most have argued that freedom of travel is just your feet (horses maybe) and that there is a significant public safety issue with cars. By that logic, arms could mean slingshots and muzzel loaders only.

I don't make the argument for the sake of gun control, but vehicle license, registration and inspections are unconstitutional, IMHO.

I dunno, I can see public safety issues being addressed by inspections, but I think I get where you're coming from. :)

I dunno, I can see public safety issues being addressed by inspections, but I think I get where you're coming from. :)

Well sure, if you can see the safety issue with cars, certainly you can see the issue with guns. Right? Bring in your gun for a state safety inspection and certification. Can't have guns out there that might be a hazard. Thet'll be $9.95 please.

Well sure, if you can see the safety issue with cars, certainly you can see the issue with guns. Right? Bring in your gun for a state safety inspection and certification. Can't have guns out there that might be a hazard. Thet'll be $9.95 please.

I don't see guns and cars in the same way. Sure, if you use your gun as part of your job then ok it makes sense for it to be inspected. But if it's just "recreational"? You don't have to have your ATV inspected do you? How about your canoe? Nope.

I don't see guns and cars in the same way. Sure, if you use your gun as part of your job then ok it makes sense for it to be inspected. But if it's just "recreational"? You don't have to have your ATV inspected do you? How about your canoe? Nope.

Absolutely you do, if you intend to operate on public access. Your canoe requires registration the minute you put a trolling motor on it. Just like your legs, paddle power is OK. But the motorized ATV can only be used on private property, closed course, without registration. Exactly the same as a car. You don't have to register, inspect or insure a car for driving off road either.

Gun laws are construed in similar ways. Here, transporting and using a firearm on private property is unrestricted. You can open carry on your own property or property on which you have permission. Once you leave that place, the restrictions kick in.

The similarities are striking actually. It's just what we have been programmed for that gets in the way. A few sharp minds have already pointed out the inherent danger of cars here, relative to gun gun safety.

Absolutely you do, if you intend to operate on public access. Your canoe requires registration the minute you put a trolling motor on it. Just like your legs, paddle power is OK. But the motorized ATV can only be used on private property, closed course, without registration. Exactly the same as a car. You don't have to register, inspect or insure a car for driving off road either.

Gun laws are construed in similar ways. Here, transporting and using a firearm on private property is unrestricted. You can open carry on your own property or property on which you have permission. Once you leave that place, the restrictions kick in.

The similarities are striking actually. It's just what we have been programmed for that gets in the way. A few sharp minds have already pointed out the inherent danger of cars here, relative to gun gun safety.

I guess for me where the diff comes from is in the intended use of things. You don't use a gun to drive to work and you don't use a car to defend yourself (I hope).

I can see the sense in keeping guns out of the hands of criminals... but OTOH criminals don't care that much about laws so all the effort to make laws about guns don't have the intended effect.

I just don't want to see us get to the place the UK is in where citizens can't be armed, or following the law is so restrictive that regular people can't face down an attacker.

I guess for me where the diff comes from is in the intended use of things. You don't use a gun to drive to work and you don't use a car to defend yourself (I hope).

I can see the sense in keeping guns out of the hands of criminals... but OTOH criminals don't care that much about laws so all the effort to make laws about guns don't have the intended effect.

I just don't want to see us get to the place the UK is in where citizens can't be armed, or following the law is so restrictive that regular people can't face down an attacker.

I agree with you to an extent. But playing devil's advocate:

I can see keeping get away cars out of the hands of criminals. But criminals will just steal a registered car. And what about people that can't afford insurance? Do they not have a right to drive a car? They aren't criminals, they're just poor. And what about kids? My kid can drive and shoot as well as anyone. He has a gun but the state won't let him drive a car.

A Case for Gun Control

we got another Chris here....using anti-gun sources as fact.....

Mid....laws are made to keep the LAWBREAKERS under control,the good people follow the RULES....the bad guys dont....hence we get laws....

I don't understand why it's a bad thing to make people register guns. Guns are not being banned. You can still own them. They are just making it harder for people with criminal records and mental imbalances to get their hands on one. Or am I mistaken?

They run background checks on people when purchasing guns. People who can't purchase them legally because of past history just find other sources to purchase from. However, when guns are registered, it makes it easier for the government to find them if it is later decided that our Constitutional rights should be revoked.

I don't understand why it's a bad thing to make people register guns. Guns are not being banned. You can still own them. They are just making it harder for people with criminal records and mental imbalances to get their hands on one. Or am I mistaken?

They run background checks on people when purchasing guns. People who can't purchase them legally because of past history just find other sources to purchase from. However, when guns are registered, it makes it easier for the government to find them if it is later decided that our Constitutional rights should be revoked.

This is the important thing. I don't mind background checks so much. Private sales are legal and you don't need a background check. But registration? Someone has already pointed out that registration of a gun shows up when the cops run you through the system. If you turn up as a gun owner, they may already treat you as a possible criminal just because you have a gun. You think it would be OK if we treated all cops as potential criminals? They have guns. They do comitt crimes. We gun owners should treat others as we are treated as gun owners. We should approach law enforcement with a weapon trained on them. They have shot innocent people before. No reason not to protect myself from an armed, possible criminal, right?

The fact is, I have a drawer full of steak knives, a couple of automobiles, not to mention electric service to my house that I can connect to my front door knob anytime. I am not a criminal nor should I be treated as a potential criminal because I have these things. And when and if mandatory registration becomes full, you can count on a slow, incremental intrusion. First they will just show up as a "courtesy" check and want to inspect your weapons, just like they want to inspect your car. Few people think twice about having their car inspected anymore. That just makes sense eh? Gun inspection can be sold to the public too, if we allow that foot in the door. Next, they show up becuase a particular gun you have registered is on a new list of banned guns. We just want this one particular gun you have, the rest are OK. Next it's another gun. Before you know it, there is a gun ban and guess what? They knwo where you are and what you have. Pony up your gun or be arrested.

Then why does obeying the law keep anyone safe?
It doesn't.

Not that hard to understand.
It's funny that you can be right, yet still miss the point.

"Only 2 of the 743 gunshot deaths occurring in the home involved an intruder killed during an attempted entry, . . .
Submitted as if not being killed by the intruder is not the point, and killing an intruder is the point. This really seems to assert that unarmed victims are more likely to be killed when their assailant is armed.

. . . and only 9 of the deaths were determined by police/courts to be justified (FE Zimring, Firearms, violence, and public policy, Scientific American, vol. 265, 1991, p. 48).
Submitted as if this fails to affirm the notion that unarmed victims are more likely to be killed when their assailant is armed.

The evidence revealed in the Kellermann study is consistent with data reported by the FBI.
Of course. The Kellerman study used FBI data.

In 1993, there were 24,526 people murdered, 13,980 with handguns, yet only 251 justifiable homicides by civilians using handguns. (FBI, Crime in the United States: Uniform Crime Reports 1994, 1995)."
There could have been 24,526 justifiable homicides--looks like unarmed victims are more likely to be killed when their assailant is armed.

A Case for Gun Control

Why would law abiding people be opposed to law. You guys often ask that question, now answer it.
There's nothing intrinsic to a law that makes it just.

Wow. That was easy.

No right is written in stone -
It wouldn't matter if it were.

. . . life and the world changes.
Entirely irrelevent.

I don't understand why it's a bad thing to make people register guns.
It's because the ONLY purpose for making people register guns is to have a list of gun owners, and their guns, in anticipation of criminalizing gun ownership and confiscating guns.

Guns are not being banned.
Sure they are.

You can still own them.
Try owning a sawed off shotgun.

They are just making it harder for people with criminal records and mental imbalances to get their hands on one. Or am I mistaken?
You are mistaken--they are trying to make it harder for everyone BUT criminals to get their hands on guns.

Registering guns of the law abiding, is just a prelude to the government confiscating them.

They are trying every thing they can to unarm the citizens, even today..

Obama to seek ratification of arms treaty
Excerpt:
MEXICO CITY – Confronting a security threat on the America's doorstep, President Barack Obama arrived Thursday in Mexico for a swift diplomatic mission to show solidarity on drugs and guns with a troubled neighbor — and to prove the U.S. is serious about the battle against trafficking.

After a meeting with Mexican President Felipe Calderon, Obama planned to announce he would support an inter-American weapons treaty meant to take on the bloody drug trade. Officials described the plan on the condition of anonymity so they wouldn't pre-empt the announcement.

The regional treaty, adopted by the Organization of American States, was signed by former President Bill Clinton in 1997 but never ratified by the U.S. Senate. Officials said Obama would push lawmakers to act on it — an opening gesture for meetings that also would include discussion of the economic crisis and possibly clean energy.

Among the other touchy points are disagreement over a lapsed U.S. assault weapons ban, a standoff over cross-border trucking, and immigration

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090416/ap_on_go_pr_wh/obama_mexico

Last edited:

I agree with you to an extent. But playing devil's advocate:

I can see keeping get away cars out of the hands of criminals. But criminals will just steal a registered car. And what about people that can't afford insurance? Do they not have a right to drive a car? They aren't criminals, they're just poor. And what about kids? My kid can drive and shoot as well as anyone. He has a gun but the state won't let him drive a car.

I'm not sure what your devil's advocate position has to do with inspections. :)

Forum List

Back