Pelosi Calls For Gun Registration

Discussion in 'Congress' started by Missourian, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    Pelosi Calls For Gun Registration,
    Opposes D.C. Gun Reform Legislation

Friday, April 10, 2009

In February, Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) rightly rejected Attorney General Eric Holder's call for renewing the so-called "assault weapons" ban, which expired in 2004 after Congress refused to renew it.

However, on Tuesday, on ABC's "Good Morning America," Pelosi said, "we [members of Congress] have to find some level of compromise" on guns. She noted that the Supreme Court, in District of Columbia v. Heller, ruled that the Second Amendment protects an individual right to guns. But, she said, "We want them registered."

Pelosi also used the word "draconian" to describe legislation before Congress to reform D.C.'s gun laws. Apparently referring to the provision of that legislation that would permit residents of D.C. to buy handguns in Maryland and Virginia, Pelosi added, "we don't want them crossing state lines."

Pelosi's objection to exempting D.C. residents from the Gun Control Act's ban on sales of handguns (even by dealers) between residents of different states is misplaced, not only because there is only one handgun dealer in the District, but because the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) has rendered the interstate sales ban pointless and unnecessary. A D.C. resident buying a handgun will be subject to the same instant background check, regardless of where the sale occurs.

Pelosi objected to the fact that disagreement over the D.C. gun legislation is preventing a vote on legislation to give the District a voting member in the House. To say the least, we regret that the Speaker of the House believes it more important to give the D.C. Delegate a vote on the House floor than to protect D.C.'s law-abiding residents' right to defend themselves from criminals.

Meanwhile, Sen. Dianne Feinstein (D-Calif.), the Senate sponsor of the now-expired federal "assault weapons" ban, said on a CBS "60 Minutes" program to be aired on Sunday that she is only temporarily holding off on introducing legislation to reinstate the ban. "I'll pick the time and place. No question about it," Feinstein said.
    [​IMG]

Copyright 2009, National Rifle Association of America, Institute for Legislative Action.
    This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.
    11250 Waples Mill Road, Fairfax, VA 22030 800-392-8683
    Contact Us | Privacy & Security Policy

________________________________________________________________​

From the Washington Times Editorial Page:​

'We want them registered'

Democrats are going after guns

(last three paragraphs)...​

Because registration doesn't help solve crime, it is important to ask why government wants to register the people's firearms. History provides the answer. In countries from Australia to England, registration has been used to create lists of guns that later were confiscated by their governments. Despite Mrs. Pelosi's assurances to the contrary, Americans' fear that registration will lead to confiscation is well-founded. Indeed, Mrs. Pelosi's own state of California already has used existing registration lists to confiscate so-called assault weapons just a half-dozen years ago.

The speaker claims registration won't lead to gun confiscation because of the Supreme Court decision in District of Columbia v. Heller, which struck down the District's handgun ban last June. She knows full well that this judgment was based on a narrow 5-4 decision that could be reversed when President Obama gets his opportunity to appoint an additional liberal justice to the court.

A Gallup poll released Wednesday shows that support for gun control is "at an all-time low" since the issue started being surveyed nearly 50 years ago. According to Gallup, just 29 percent favor handgun bans. Now that Democrats are in control of the legislative and executive branches of government, even the will of the people won't keep them from going after the guns of law-abiding Americans.

Link to Washington Times Editorial: EDITORIAL: 'We want them registered' - Washington Times

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. Missourian

Missourian Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,124
    This probably belongs in the "Congress" section.

If a Mod gets a chance to move it I would appreciate it.

[​IMG] Thanks. :thup:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2009
  3. Peejay

Peejay BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Registration is a joke. Makes for a hell of a black market though.

4. xsited1

xsited1 Agent P

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,306
    We already have something like that in Arkansas. In order to carry a pistol, you have to get a concealed carry license which costs almost $300. For that, you get fingerprinted and extensive background checks are performed. If you get pulled over by a cop for whatever reason, they have their gun ready and order you to get out of the car with your hands so they can see them because they know you might have a gun. You also get your name posted on the internet by Libtards like this guy:

Concealed carry permit holders in Arkansas Assaulted by Arkansas Times Editor - Topix

Carrying a gun appears to make you a very dangerous person.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  5. Peejay

Peejay BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +88
    Oddly enough, I was treated very nicely and with common sense by the Arkansas Highway Patrol, about having my pistol with me.

I tow a small camper with me when I tour. It is an enclosed cargo trailer that I customized. It looks like a tool trailer or something from the outside. I only tow it at about 60 - 62 MPH and coming back from KC I was on the interstate heading towrds Little Rock. There were three AHP cars in the median. A few miles later I saw one flying up in my rear view, I thought "shit....he's after somebody". He fell in behind me. I gues driving under the limit is suspicious to some, even if you're hauling a trailer. He stayed back there long enough to run my trailer tags, then pulled up far enough to get my van tags and fell in behind again. Then the other two caught up and pulled in front. They all hit the lights and I pulled over. One came to the window and I gave over my license and registration. He commented "you don't have any deer to shoot in Carolina?" I was confused for a second but realised I was wearing my camo pants. Without thinking I said "Oh no, I'm not hunting here, I'm a musician....." Shit. Never tell them that.

They asked if I had gear in the trailer. I told them no, it was a camper. They asked to have a look. I said "sure". When you open the camper door, the first thing on the right, behind a shower curtain, is a toilet and shower. He looks behind the curtain, turnd and says "you got hot water in there?" "Oh yeah" I say. He calls to one of the other Patrolmen to come take a look. The second guy looks in and sees the shower. "You got hot water?" he ask. "Oh yeah" I say. "Gas on demand." He turns to the other cop and says "this is nicer than the lodge." They were hunters and were pretty interested in my little incognito camper. As one of them stepped inside, I thought about the pistol in there. I told him there was a weapon in there. The one outside stepped between me and the door. The one inside asked where it was so I told him. He asked if it was loaded. I told him it was. He took it to his car.

Next they wanted to check the van. It was full of speakers, PA and guitars. Turns out that the third cop was a picker and he got the honor of checking out all my guitars.

Two of them leave and the first one calls me to his car. He ask again if the weapon is loaded. I tell it is. He takes it out and tries to make it safe. The magazine on that particular pistol is a bitch. You have to pinch it just right to get it out. He struggle for a time with it. I tried to tell him how to do it. He couldn't. He asked me if I could make it safe without discharging it in his car. I told him I could. He actually handed me the loaded weapon in his car. I dropped the magazine and checked the chamber and handed it back to him. He checked the chamber himself. The he asked if I had a permit. I told him "no". He asked me what I was doing in Arkansas with a gun and no permit. I explianed that I slept in that camper in all kinds of places and kept the pistrol for defense. I told him that there was no mandatroy gun registry in NC and that I figured that, coupled with the 2nd ammendment agve me the right to protect myself. He nodded his head and said he would ask me to do him a favor. He asked me to keep the weapon locked in the trailer and the ammo up front with me until I was parked. I told him I would. he gave me my pistol and wished me a nice day.

6. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    I'm not sure what else anyone would expect from an idiot like Pelosi.

Democrats in power are killing me. The gun shops are packed and they can't keep bullets on the shelf long enough for me to get any. I wonder when Dems are going to figure out that not are they the best thing that ever happened to Rush, but they're the best thing that ever happened to gun and ammunition manufacturers and retailers.:lol:

7. Chris

Chris Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,089
    Register musicians, not guns.

8. PubliusInfinitum

PubliusInfinitum BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +726

PUBLIUS INFINITUM TELLS SPEAKER PELOSI TO KISS HIS ASS! I ain't registering NOTHING... and I don't give a red rats ass WHAT CONGRESS SAYS ABOUT IT.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Register delusional leftwingnuts as menaces to critical thought.

10. Gunny

Gunny Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,770
    Yeah, no reason to question whether or not YOU should possess a firearm.:eusa_whistle: