PE, a joke?

Don't count on PE at school to get you in shape for anything, PE in school is just to give the teachers a break from dealing with bratty kids.

PE might be a joke in your guys states, but in Illinois it is mandatory and we have fitness tests every quarter. Im not going to say that it's not a joke, but it is a lot harder than the Op's PE.

Cardio - A 12 minute run where you run as many laps as you can.
Physical Strength - Push-ups
Physical Endurance - Sit-Ups
Flexibility - Sit and Reach

The objective is simple: to improve
Each one is weighted differently in our grade as well.

No, dumbfuck, I don't, but thank you SOOO much for appearing out of nowhere to make an unwarranted personal attack on me. Do you lack the self-respect "need" [sic] in life to allow you to show common courtesy to people've who've done nothing to offend you?

Ironic considering how often you breathlessly attack anyone who dares disagree with you (especially on abortion).

Why would you drop English literature?

What is so useful about English Literature?

We read one story by Arthur C. Clarke when I was in high school. It didn't do me much good since I had read it already. It was Rescue Mission. I don't see what could be learned from reading old English with no scientific content that could not be learned with more modern English literature with scientific content. I think it trains people to look backwards instead of forward.

But then one of the purposes of schooling is to propagate the culture unchanged. Of course all they do is slow things down and waste time.

psik

People SHOULD look backward. Haven't you ever heard that those who will not learn from history are doomed to repeat it? This is because human nature does not change and isn't going to. Whatever technology and science do, humans will still be what they are, and there will be nothing new under the sun in that department. Ignoring what has come before will only leave you unprepared for when it comes again.

That's why we have history

Furthermore, you're exactly right that one of the purposes of schooling is to pass along the culture. And this is a good thing.
I don't know about you but besides from a few books written in the 40s or 50s pretty much everything I read was 100+ years. I can only think of a few bits of those century old books that seem relevant now.

School offers you the bare (pardon the pun) minimum. If you depend on high school school to turn you into a man you will be disappointed. Have you figured it out yet that you gotta do it yourself?

I'd say the issue is that soem states instate 4 years of gym for health reasons, so they want 50minutes (at least 30) of physical activity. but we fail kids for not having uniforms and force them to participate in activities they don't like.

don't get me wrong- I understand the first year or 2 being a regular class. with requirements, diverse activties, uniforms, the whole 'class' stuff.

but if the extra 2-3 years is for activity, forget the silly uniforms, forget the warm ups, take quick attendance, and let the kids sign up for specific sports activies and put them in classes based on what they want to do (cardio, softball, soccor, volley ball, swimming, ect)

it beats them being lazy or hiding out because they hate the sport.
or having a teacher stop kids from jump roping in groups because its less of a work out than jumping alone. they are getting physical activity. thats the point right?

I am one of those whom couldn't do a mile for a long time, why? I didn't believe I could. I still have issues running, but I know for a fact I can do 1 when I had a recruiter push me to well over 3 1/2 miles in a run with a lot of Calisthenics. If I can do that, what's to say others can't do 2?
P90X increased my running endurance nearly 100% I aint lyin'! The usual jogging route I take used to be a struggle just to finish. Now it's a breeze.

Buy or borrow the P90X DVD's and see what happens. You'll be amazed!

I am one of those whom couldn't do a mile for a long time, why? I didn't believe I could. I still have issues running, but I know for a fact I can do 1 when I had a recruiter push me to well over 3 1/2 miles in a run with a lot of Calisthenics. If I can do that, what's to say others can't do 2?
P90X increased my running endurance nearly 100% I aint lyin'! The usual jogging route I take used to be a struggle just to finish. Now it's a breeze.

Buy or borrow the P90X DVD's and see what happens. You'll be amazed!

I've had a lot of people recommend that, but I am sort of on my own program lol. I have Boxing + Cardio + Weight Lifting (once I can start again, recruiter has to give me "permission") which should kill my system. Thanks for the recommendation though, I might start it once I get in and have time, but I doubt I'll have much spare time if I am able to do Security Forces.

Forum List

Back