PE, a joke?

If, instead, you view PE as a place for people who might not otherwise ever learn anything about maintaining a healthy body to encounter those ideas and organized games and sports and maybe learn to like them, then no, most PE classes aren't a joke.

Reading that is a great example as to why America is fat and lazy. Do you lack the self-respect need in life to get ahead iand do those things on your own? Probably considering you need government to provide health care for you.[/QUOTE]

No, dumbfuck, I don't, but thank you SOOO much for appearing out of nowhere to make an unwarranted personal attack on me. Do you lack the self-respect "need" [sic] in life to allow you to show common courtesy to people've who've done nothing to offend you?

And don't you ever, EVER blindly attribute leftist opinions and causes to me without cause again, you ignorant, kneejerk, reactionary little puswad. You better fucking SEE me writing about the wonders of government health care before you accuse me of "needing government to provide health care for me", you pox-ridden little twat. Got that?

I guess whether or not it's a joke depends on what you think the purpose of PE is. You're heading to basic, you say, and wish your PE class had helped you train for that, I suppose. That's fine, but most of your classmates are NOT joining the military, and really have no interest in behaving as though they are.

If, instead, you view PE as a place for people who might not otherwise ever learn anything about maintaining a healthy body to encounter those ideas and organized games and sports and maybe learn to like them, then no, most PE classes aren't a joke.

I tend to prefer schools that give the kids a bit of a choice in PE. I myself never took it after junior high because I was in the marching band, which my schools accepted in lieu of the PE requirement, so I'm not sure what they offered. My husband's high school, however, offered the regular gym classes, plus more specialized classes such as weight lifting, aerobics, etc. My son's school, which is a charter school rather than a regular public school, doesn't have a PE requirement, but offers classes in various types of dance, yoga, etc.

That is not it, I wish PE had actually educated me in physical exercise, not just games. I can't do any sport that good, except Boxing I'd say. I didn't learn Boxing in school to say the least.

PE should be exactly what it's called Physical Education. Teach about muscles, muscle systems, but above all, utilize them. I'm sorry, but not having PE is insane, but in this time and if other high schools are like mine in their PE standards, no PE probably doesn't matter. I don't mean to be rude but, PE as it is, is hilarious at best. The mile runs aren't actually "scored", they say give it your all, and then I see people walk half of it, or just walk all of it. I couldn't do my mile runs in the 9th grade, you know what I did? Push-Ups, and lots of them, all of this was done, while I was in a boot cast..Why? Cause I couldn't do the run.

Granted, that teacher wasn't exactly 'the best' because he told me to "walk it off" when I tore my ankle (you could literally see a part of my ankle coming out in my shoe, nasty stuff, but the point is, he pushed me.

I'm going to say the problem is your school's PE program, although I will also say it's not the purpose of PE to teach in-depth anatomy. That's why high schools have health classes. It doesn't sound as though your school bothered to hire a well-trained and qualified PE teacher.

However, what you're talking about also isn't physical education. You're looking for physical TRAINING, which is different, and not something that any public school is likely to start requiring of its general student population.

The purpose of physical education classes, as I said, is to hopefully incur an interest in a more active lifestyle in students. Get them up off their butts, moving around, doing something physical and (hopefully again) enjoyable, so that maybe they'll want to continue it on their own. Calisthenics and forced runs are not going to accomplish that, and frankly, it's not the business of the public schools to try to force good health on people.

Physical training is a major part of physical education. If students aren't shown how to better themselves, they cannot be expected to do it. I believe that if I had been put in a running regime as a 6th grader and it slowly worked up, I'd be a lot better off, and healthier at that, do you see my point?

Yea, well, here the PE isn't much of PE. More, dress out, and sit around play around. I sat around a lot, but I also worked out 1-5x a week weight lifting. I just wish they where really designed to work us out, and explain stuff to us.

No, but it will teach them how to pursue exercise into their daily life. No, they shouldn't, but they should have real requirements for a class, don't you think?

@The Joe: No offense, but America is NOT fat & lazy. I am a part of America, and I am not either of those, at least in my opinion. Also, jumping in the middle of a topic and bashing isn't very respectful.

That is not it, I wish PE had actually educated me in physical exercise, not just games. I can't do any sport that good, except Boxing I'd say. I didn't learn Boxing in school to say the least.

PE should be exactly what it's called Physical Education. Teach about muscles, muscle systems, but above all, utilize them. I'm sorry, but not having PE is insane, but in this time and if other high schools are like mine in their PE standards, no PE probably doesn't matter. I don't mean to be rude but, PE as it is, is hilarious at best. The mile runs aren't actually "scored", they say give it your all, and then I see people walk half of it, or just walk all of it. I couldn't do my mile runs in the 9th grade, you know what I did? Push-Ups, and lots of them, all of this was done, while I was in a boot cast..Why? Cause I couldn't do the run.

Granted, that teacher wasn't exactly 'the best' because he told me to "walk it off" when I tore my ankle (you could literally see a part of my ankle coming out in my shoe, nasty stuff, but the point is, he pushed me.

I'm going to say the problem is your school's PE program, although I will also say it's not the purpose of PE to teach in-depth anatomy. That's why high schools have health classes. It doesn't sound as though your school bothered to hire a well-trained and qualified PE teacher.

However, what you're talking about also isn't physical education. You're looking for physical TRAINING, which is different, and not something that any public school is likely to start requiring of its general student population.

The purpose of physical education classes, as I said, is to hopefully incur an interest in a more active lifestyle in students. Get them up off their butts, moving around, doing something physical and (hopefully again) enjoyable, so that maybe they'll want to continue it on their own. Calisthenics and forced runs are not going to accomplish that, and frankly, it's not the business of the public schools to try to force good health on people.

Physical training is a major part of physical education. If students aren't shown how to better themselves, they cannot be expected to do it. I believe that if I had been put in a running regime as a 6th grader and it slowly worked up, I'd be a lot better off, and healthier at that, do you see my point?

Running is not necessary or even possible for many people in order to be healthy. The average American can do just fine by getting out and taking brisk walks and participating in fun outdoor activities, like perhaps an adult softball league. And the average PE curriculum does just fine at making the point that activity is necessary for good health, and giving kids who otherwise aren't exposed to much physical activity a chance to try those things out and hopefully discover that they enjoy them. And while it would be nice if high schools offered the option of something more intense and in-depth, as my husband's did, it's not their place to mandate that to everyone.

Yea, well, here the PE isn't much of PE. More, dress out, and sit around play around. I sat around a lot, but I also worked out 1-5x a week weight lifting. I just wish they where really designed to work us out, and explain stuff to us.

Again, it sounds like YOUR school just has a crappy program, and I'm sorry.

No, but it will teach them how to pursue exercise into their daily life. No, they shouldn't, but they should have real requirements for a class, don't you think?

A good program will encourage normal levels of physical activity in daily life without intense physical training as though the students are preparing to enter basic training. In fact, I can state categorically that mandating a regime like you're suggesting on me when I was in high school would have produced nothing but hostility toward physical activity, and toward the school.

I should also point out that PE classes already get a certain amount of criticism on the basis that it is not the school's job to interfere in this area, that their purpose is to concentrate on ACADEMIC development. A mandatory program like you suggest would not go over well under those circumstances.

@The Joe: No offense, but America is NOT fat & lazy. I am a part of America, and I am not either of those, at least in my opinion. Also, jumping in the middle of a topic and bashing isn't very respectful.

Well, you're certainly a well-mannered kid, anyway. I'm glad to see that, and your parents should be congratulated in that regard.

yes, privatize and unionize PE

I am not abdicating anything political, I am simply suggesting we have REAL standards for children in fitness.

I understand games are fun, and I support a game every time their is PE, but the game needs to be beneficial also, and their needs to be real physical effort.

I love the idea of obstacle courses, their beneficial, fun, and killer workouts, if designed correctly.

I was joking.

Running is not necessary or even possible for many people in order to be healthy. The average American can do just fine by getting out and taking brisk walks and participating in fun outdoor activities, like perhaps an adult softball league. And the average PE curriculum does just fine at making the point that activity is necessary for good health, and giving kids who otherwise aren't exposed to much physical activity a chance to try those things out and hopefully discover that they enjoy them. And while it would be nice if high schools offered the option of something more intense and in-depth, as my husband's did, it's not their place to mandate that to everyone.

A good program will encourage normal levels of physical activity in daily life without intense physical training as though the students are preparing to enter basic training. In fact, I can state categorically tha t mandating a regime like you're suggesting on me when I was in high school would have produced nothing but hostility toward physical activity, and toward the school.

I should also point out that PE classes already get a certain amount of criticism on the basis that it is not the school's job to interfere in this area, that their purpose is to concentrate on ACADEMIC development. A mandatory program like you suggest would not go over well under those circumstances.

Well, you're certainly a well-mannered kid, anyway. I'm glad to see that, and your parents should be congratulated in that regard.

I hate running as much as the next person, but it is one of the greatest cardio workouts in the world. I understand where you are getting at though, I would hope people wouldn't hate running just because they have to do it, but I understand why they would.

It does, but I believe the majority have a crappy program, don't be sorry, not your fault, school's fault.

Well, their failing in the academic section too, but not as bad, I think that is mostly the fact that kids don't care to learn anymore. I have a hard time caring to learn, but I try my best still.

I hate being called kid, but thanks. Eh, I think a lot of people have manners, they just choose to ignore them when they feel wronged. Joe was out of line for saying America is fat and lazy, that is a generalization of a nation, and it's arrogance.

yes, privatize and unionize PE

I am not abdicating anything political, I am simply suggesting we have REAL standards for children in fitness.

I understand games are fun, and I support a game every time their is PE, but the game needs to be beneficial also, and their needs to be real physical effort.

I love the idea of obstacle courses, their beneficial, fun, and killer workouts, if designed correctly.

I was joking.

My bad :redface:. Thanks for posting on the topic though bro :).

Reading that is a great example as to why America is fat and lazy. Do you lack the self-respect need in life to get ahead iand do those things on your own? Probably considering you need government to provide health care for you.

No, dumbfuck, I don't, but thank you SOOO much for appearing out of nowhere to make an unwarranted personal attack on me. Do you lack the self-respect "need" [sic] in life to allow you to show common courtesy to people've who've done nothing to offend you?

And don't you ever, EVER blindly attribute leftist opinions and causes to me without cause again, you ignorant, kneejerk, reactionary little puswad. You better fucking SEE me writing about the wonders of government health care before you accuse me of "needing government to provide health care for me", you pox-ridden little twat. Got that?[/QUOTE]

But it's true. That's why you're angry.

Actually it is absurd and unfortunate but it may take decades to figure out the degree to which education is a joke.

The system is not intended to produce lots of competent self reliant people.

Actually I think martial arts training should be mandatory for boys and optional for girls. Maybe weapons training too. Drop English Literature. Mandatory accounting.

But we can't have citizens ready to kill politicians when they screw up the economy.

:evil: :lol: :evil:

psik

Why would you drop English literature?

What is so useful about English Literature?

We read one story by Arthur C. Clarke when I was in high school. It didn't do me much good since I had read it already. It was Rescue Mission. I don't see what could be learned from reading old English with no scientific content that could not be learned with more modern English literature with scientific content. I think it trains people to look backwards instead of forward.

But then one of the purposes of schooling is to propagate the culture unchanged. Of course all they do is slow things down and waste time.

psik

A good program will encourage normal levels of physical activity in daily life without intense physical training as though the students are preparing to enter basic training. In fact, I can state categorically tha t mandating a regime like you're suggesting on me when I was in high school would have produced nothing but hostility toward physical activity, and toward the school.

I hate running as much as the next person, but it is one of the greatest cardio workouts in the world. I understand where you are getting at though, I would hope people wouldn't hate running just because they have to do it, but I understand why they would.

Many doctors and fitness experts say that running is not the best choice for fitness, strangely enough. It's one of the reasons that power-walking became such a fitness trend. It's very high-impact and can be damaging to the joints. And yeah, it's not much fun, which might not be a good choice for a program that's trying to encourage people to like physical activity.

It does, but I believe the majority have a crappy program, don't be sorry, not your fault, school's fault.

I don't think the majority have crappy programs, actually. It's like anything else in public education: piecemeal. I went to four different high schools myself, my husband to another, my daughter to two, and my son to one. Some were better than others, but generally speaking, I think PE classes aren't too bad.

Well, their failing in the academic section too, but not as bad, I think that is mostly the fact that kids don't care to learn anymore. I have a hard time caring to learn, but I try my best still.

Kids have never cared to learn, hon. They're kids. If they could be counted on to know and do what was best for them, they wouldn't need parents and other adults around. :)

Problem is that a lot of adults don't care to TEACH any more.

I hate being called kid, but thanks. Eh, I think a lot of people have manners, they just choose to ignore them when they feel wronged. Joe was out of line for saying America is fat and lazy, that is a generalization of a nation, and it's arrogance.

I'm sure you probably do hate it, but no offense, you still are. If you're in the 12th grade, that means I have one child three years older than you, and another three years younger than you. You see how this works. :)

Actually it is absurd and unfortunate but it may take decades to figure out the degree to which education is a joke.

The system is not intended to produce lots of competent self reliant people.

Actually I think martial arts training should be mandatory for boys and optional for girls. Maybe weapons training too. Drop English Literature. Mandatory accounting.

But we can't have citizens ready to kill politicians when they screw up the economy.

:evil: :lol: :evil:

psik

Why would you drop English literature?

What is so useful about English Literature?

We read one story by Arthur C. Clarke when I was in high school. It didn't do me much good since I had read it already. It was Rescue Mission. I don't see what could be learned from reading old English with no scientific content that could not be learned with more modern English literature with scientific content. I think it trains people to look backwards instead of forward.

But then one of the purposes of schooling is to propagate the culture unchanged. Of course all they do is slow things down and waste time.

psik

People SHOULD look backward. Haven't you ever heard that those who will not learn from history are doomed to repeat it? This is because human nature does not change and isn't going to. Whatever technology and science do, humans will still be what they are, and there will be nothing new under the sun in that department. Ignoring what has come before will only leave you unprepared for when it comes again.

Furthermore, you're exactly right that one of the purposes of schooling is to pass along the culture. And this is a good thing. Our shared culture is what binds us together as a people, rather than as lone individuals, randomly colliding into each other every so often.

English and American literature are our heritage. They contain great works of art that speak to the entire human race on themes of universal importance. Science can only teach us how to exist more comfortably. Literature teaches us how to live.

Reading that is a great example as to why America is fat and lazy. Do you lack the self-respect need in life to get ahead iand do those things on your own? Probably considering you need government to provide health care for you.

unwarranted personal attack on me.... in life to allow you to show common courtesy to people've who've done nothing to offend you?

Pot meet kettle....

unwarranted personal attack on me.... in life to allow you to show common courtesy to people've who've done nothing to offend you?

Pot meet kettle....

Wrong, asswipe. You do plenty to offend me.

Many doctors and fitness experts say that running is not the best choice for fitness, strangely enough. It's one of the reasons that power-walking became such a fitness trend. It's very high-impact and can be damaging to the joints. And yeah, it's not much fun, which might not be a good choice for a program that's trying to encourage people to like physical activity.

I don't think the majority have crappy programs, actually. It's like anything else in public education: piecemeal. I went to four different high schools myself, my husband to another, my daughter to two, and my son to one. Some were better than others, but generally speaking, I think PE classes aren't too bad.

Kids have never cared to learn, hon. They're kids. If they could be counted on to know and do what was best for them, they wouldn't need parents and other adults around. :)

I'm sure you probably do hate it, but no offense, you still are. If you're in the 12th grade, that means I have one child three years older than you, and another three years younger than you. You see how this works. :)

Running has been done for centuries, doctors can say all they want about how it hurts your legs/feet, but frankly it works. Speed Walking is something I've done before back when I was terrified that I couldn't jog 1/4 a mile, but I hated it because I either wanted to run or walk, trying in-between was insane for me to do. I know a lot of older people whom can't run that do the Elliptical, in their case I understand that, but kids I don't see how a moderate running regime could cause permanent damage.

piecemeal? Well, I consider it this way: If I didn't learn anything new, didn't have any tests, and didn't like it, it's crap.

I beg to differ, a lot of people here want to learn, because they know they need it for their dream career/job. I know a lot of people whom work hard because they need scholarships.

I agree with that, I have had a few teachers whom really just let us sit around and do nothing, they cracked down on a few of em, but the majority get off with a slap on the wrist.

I am 18 years old; I have worked since I was 13 years old (on other farms, not including mine); I can go to prison as a adult, just like anyone else. I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, drink, dip, or do anything illegal. I consider myself a adult, and those who don't, that is their choice.

Last edited:

Running has been done for centuries, doctors can say all they want about how it hurts your legs/feet, but frankly it works. Speed Walking is something I've done before back when I was terrified that I couldn't jog 1/4 a mile, but I hated it because I either wanted to run or walk, trying in-between was insane for me to do. I know a lot of older people whom can't run that do the Elliptical, in their case I understand that, but kids I don't see how a moderate running regime could cause permanent damage.

piecemeal? Well, I consider it this way: If I didn't learn anything new, didn't have any tests, and didn't like it, it's crap.

I beg to differ, a lot of people here want to learn, because they know they need it for their dream career/job. I know a lot of people whom work hard because they need scholarships.

I agree with that, I have had a few teachers whom really just let us sit around and do nothing, they cracked down on a few of em, but the majority get off with a slap on the wrist.

I am 18 years old; I have worked since I was 13 years old (on other farms, not including mine); I can go to prison as a adult, just like anyone else. I don't do drugs, I don't smoke, drink, dip, or do anything illegal. I consider myself a adult, and those who don't, that is their choice.

Just because people have done something for centuries doesn't mean they were right or that it was best for them. People treated every ailment that came along by bleeding the patient with leeches for centuries, too. Notice that people back then had much shorter lifespans.

Damage that lasts a lifetime frequently happens in adolescence. I have a bum knee I acquired when I was fifteen.

Piecemeal means that there's no overarching, standardized plan to it. Every district has different curriculum requirements for it, and every school does it a bit differently just by virtue of having a different teacher doing it.

I appreciate that there are lots of kids who want to plan for their future. I don't mean to imply that there aren't. But I don't think you can blame a school's poor academic performance on students not wanting to learn, because that's not a new condition, and schools are supposed to be able to teach despite that.

Technically and legally, you're an adult. To someone who's old enough to be your mother, you're a kid. And when you're my age, you'll look back and think the same thing.

Just because people have done something for centuries doesn't mean they were right or that it was best for them. People treated every ailment that came along by bleeding the patient with leeches for centuries, too. Notice that people back then had much shorter lifespans.

Damage that lasts a lifetime frequently happens in adolescence. I have a bum knee I acquired when I was fifteen.

Piecemeal means that there's no overarching, standardized plan to it. Every district has different curriculum requirements for it, and every school does it a bit differently just by virtue of having a different teacher doing it.

I appreciate that there are lots of kids who want to plan for their future. I don't mean to imply that there aren't. But I don't think you can blame a school's poor academic performance on students not wanting to learn, because that's not a new condition, and schools are supposed to be able to teach despite that.

Technically and legally, you're an adult. To someone who's old enough to be your mother, you're a kid. And when you're my age, you'll look back and think the same thing.

Yes, but a running regime that isn't too severe wouldn't have permanent damage, unless your prone to shin splints/ankle damage, or some other thing, if so, then you should be put on something like a Elliptical or Bike.

Yea I understand where your getting at, but the system is getting worse from what I can see, a lot of kids dropping out, people doing drugs, smoking, drugs, etc. I hope it gets better.

Consider me a kid if you want.

You're going into the slaughter machine ?
Can you still join the senior football team ? Wrestling team ? Track team ? DO IT.
I'm almost 58 and still do about 400 pushups a week. 40-50 at a time.Every other day. I used to be able to pull off 85-100 at a shot. Did 1000 a week in the early eighties.
Oldness sucks. You may not have to deal with that problem.

I skipped several posts............
but,
did you not have an option for the athletics p.e. program?
we have p.e. and a.p.e. (i know)......the kids who are tougher, faster and competitive take the ape, even if they do not play a school sponsored sport.

just wondering if that was an option for you.......

best of luck to you in the Forces, and thank you in advance, for your service to our country.

Can you still join the senior football team ? Wrestling team ? Track team ? DO IT.
I'm almost 58 and still do about 400 pushups a week. 40-50 at a time.Every other day. I used to be able to pull off 85-100 at a shot. Did 1000 a week in the early eighties.

Slaughter machine? Nope, I just box.

but,
we have p.e. and a.p.e. (i know)......the kids who are tougher, faster and competitive take the ape, even if they do not play a school sponsored sport.

best of luck to you in the Forces, and thank you in advance, for your service to our country.

Nope, their is no such program. They have a weight lifting class but it's only for sports I think.

Pot meet kettle....

You calling me black?

Slaughter machine? Nope, I just box.

but,

Nope, their is no such program. They have a weight lifting class but it's only for sports I think.

That's something someone should protest right there.

Forum List

Back