PE, a joke?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Cain, Feb 8, 2011.

1. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    So, I am in my last year of school (12th Grade), and I am ready to get out of here and go to my Basic, but I have always wondered, is every school's PE a joke? Mine is and was. I mean, the hardest thing you will ever do in it is run a mile, or in high school, the locker rooms (considering how you fare with other males in a hostile environment). I thought the locker rooms where rather hilarious cause it was where the bigger kids always tried to pick on smaller ones. I have always been smaller in height, but size wise I could hold my own against anyone in Weight Lifting easily.

I wish I had been raised with a 'rougher' type of PE. I mean, a mile is ok too me, for maybe grade school, but I think high school should be more challenging. Maybe a 2 mile run, with push-ups/sit-ups/flutter-kicks/pull-ups? Granted, this isn't the military, BUT, imagine how much better people would feel if their PE was a challenge? It'd make PE so much more fun to a lot of people I know. I mean, most of the kids in my school can't do 1 chin up, least to say pull ups.

I know this may sound brutal, but really, what is asking that everyone be able to do 20 push-ups? That's really not a lot, especially if you do them in every gym class let's say 3-4 sets of 10 every gym class, and then every 6 weeks a test on the 20? Not a lot when your doing 30-40 every class in sets.

Does this sound like a bad idea? I am one of those whom couldn't do a mile for a long time, why? I didn't believe I could. I still have issues running, but I know for a fact I can do 1 when I had a recruiter push me to well over 3 1/2 miles in a run with a lot of Calisthenics. If I can do that, what's to say others can't do 2?

2. skookerasbil

skookerasbil Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,193

Not sure kid but dont take any advice from Old Rocks. He hates anything even related to the Military........thinks the Air Force should be disbanded because it hurts the feelings of others. Too........ he'd want you to save your energy for building your own personal ark......for protection from the coming giant floods.

They still run the mile in gym these days? I thought by now, the k00ky liberals would have had that thrown out of the school gym classes too.........like floor hockey...........dodgeball...........etc

I say go for it kid...........

3. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    We still play floor hockey & dodgeball? Or at least, we did when I was younger. Now I don't even take PE cause I have all of the PE credits I need to graduate. I remember when we played dodgeball and they where made of rubber and I remember, you could feel it when you where hit lol. Now they use them cloth balls that are nearly impossible (for me at least) to hit anything with.

4. AynRand1488

AynRand1488 PATRIOT

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5
    P.E. has always been a little bit watered down. The school districts have to deal with bleeding heart liberal parents.

IMHO, we should privatize physical education. We need to get rid of the bloated corpse that is physical education.

5. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    Oh. I'm sorry. I thought I was in Education Forum...yet...I see it's all about politics....again.:eusa_whistle:

6. Cain

Cain Air Force DEP

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +60
    Well, I don't care about politics, I care about the fitness of the average American. I mean, most people can't do 10 push-ups, that is terrifying. I mean, even when I was out of shape extreme I could do 10 push-ups, just because its a body weight exercise. I believe people should adopt better workout regimes when their younger and I think they'll keep them as they grow older.

7. dilloduck

dilloduck Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,403
    [ame]www.youtube.com/watch?v=af2j59zzX3Q[/ame]

8. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    lol, dilloduck!

9. Grace

Grace BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +742
    I agree. However, as one grows older...the body betrays. Or rather, some bodies. I can do 10 pushups but I'd die of pain in my wrists. It's not due to anything other than my own body attacking itself. I should fire it. :tongue:

10. old navy

old navy <<< Action Figures

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +379
    yes, privatize and unionize PE