Arabic: "The Language of the Future"

Discussion in 'Education' started by chanel, Feb 9, 2011.

1. chanel

chanel Silver Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,749
    Mansfield Arabic Program On Hold « CBS Dallas / Fort Worth

Perhaps the U.S. Dept of Ed should label it "the language of the Middle Ages". :evil:

Would you support an Arabic program in your local school district?

2. strollingbones

strollingbones Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +31,941
    yes i would support arabic being taught as a language

why not? lets not rob ourselves of the ability to translate etc

it is an elective subject

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    It's a language with I'm sure the normal cultural context element. It's useful in may fields, including of course the military. What's the big deal? Should we not allow kids to learn needed skills because of the bogeyman? Did we ban German classes in WWII? Russian during the Cold War? Or did we realize that passing familiarity with those languages was a smart thing for some of our young people to have?

Ridiculous.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2011
  4. editec

editec Mr. Forgot-it-All

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,617
    America ought to be teaching foreign languages from 1st grade on.

There's only about 220 million people who speak Arabic so its not exactly one of the most widely spoken tongues.

But the thing about teaching foreign languages on an industrial scale is that we don't have enough educators to do that, plus our schools don't have the funds to support them if we did have that many teachers.

5. Sunni Man

Sunni Man Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,444
    Is Arabic the language of the future?

MANSFIELD (CBSDFW.COM) – Some Students at Mansfield ISD schools could soon be learning Arabic as a required language. The school district wants students at select schools to take Arabic language and culture classes as part of a federally funded grant. The Foreign Language Assistance Program (FLAP) grant was awarded to Mansfield ISD last summer by the U.S. Department of Education.

As part of the five-year $1.3 Million grant, Arabic classes would be mandatory at Cross Timbers Intermediate School and Kenneth Davis Elementary School. The program would also be optional for students at T. A. Howard Middle School and Summit High School.

Parents at Cross Timbers say they were caught off-guard by the program, and were surprised the district only told them about it in a meeting Monday night between parents and Mansfield ISD Superintendent Bob Morrison.

The DOE has identified Arabic as a ‘language of the future.’ But parent Joseph Balson was frustrated by the past. “Why are we just now finding out about it?” asked Balson. “It’s them (Mansfield ISD) applying for the grant, getting it approved and them now saying they’ll go back and change it only when they were caught trying to implement this plan without parents knowing about it.”

Trisha Savage thinks it will offer a well-rounded education. “I think its a great opportunity that will open doors. We need to think globally and act locally.”

Some parents had concerns over religion. “The school doesn’t teach Christianity, so I don’t want them teaching Islam,” said parent Baron Kane. During Monday’s meeting Morrison stressed the curriculum would not be about religion, but about Arabic language and culture, similar to the Spanish curriculum already in place in the district.

Shock! Some Texas Children Will Be Forced To Learn Arabic

merged-del

6. goldcatt

goldcatt Catch me if you can! Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,331
    Thing is, the Federal gov't is giving out grants to help with the costs of teaching foreign languages. These are high school kids looking at language electives, some of whom will be enlisting in the military upon graduating. The military which deals with a lot of Arabic speakers right now and would love to have some kids coming in already familiar with it, I'm sure. See the connection here?

Those parents are a bunch of shortsighted bedwetters.

7. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,491
    Yes, I would, although I think Spanish or Chinese would be far more useful today. I believe the U.S. is about the only country in the world where a plurality of our citizens are not bilingual.

8. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I think the language should be a choice not mandatory plus I am surprised they are even teaching it, where I live there are hardly any Arabs, is there a large population of them there in that district?

9. Article 15

Article 15 Dr. House slayer

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,859
    Absolutely. Arabic and many other languages.

In fact, I support mandating a foreign language program for all students from day one of the education.

10. High_Gravity

High_Gravity Belligerent Drunk Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,726
    I would prefer the students actually learn the English language first before they learn anything else.