PC or Apple?

Yup.. all the really important stuff is backed up on encrypted thumb drives. But the photos and videos.. are to big. Wish I could trust apple's cloud or google drive to be kept from our government's grubby fingers. It just feels dirty knowing they are going through your things.

I'm an MCSE, Watchguard certified, and Palo Alto certified.

One of the first things you learn about electronic security is that no one cares. The government doesn't care about your personal information, your life is most likely boring. What most cyber-snooping is about is an attempt to gain personal information to use for identity theft or direct assaults on credit/banking accounts.

Even a simple NAT based firewall, such as the one found in virtually every consumer based router, will thwart 99% of hacking attempts. Vulnerability remains internal, in other words, no one outside is very likely to hack your computer or gain access to your hard drives. You still are at greatest risk from spyware programs that install on your machine and infect web browsers to capture SS# and Credit Card info as you fill in online forms.

Yup.. all the really important stuff is backed up on encrypted thumb drives. But the photos and videos.. are to big. Wish I could trust apple's cloud or google drive to be kept from our government's grubby fingers. It just feels dirty knowing they are going through your things.

^^^ Delusional.

lol you thinking your electronic data is private.. yeah that's delusional.

It is private until their is a reason to investigate it.

If you think that your everyday cloud contents are being perused by Big Gummint, then yes, you are delusional.

One of the first things you learn about electronic security is that no one cares. The government doesn't care about your personal information, your life is most likely boring. What most cyber-snooping is about is an attempt to gain personal information to use for identity theft or direct assaults on credit/banking accounts.

Even a simple NAT based firewall, such as the one found in virtually every consumer based router, will thwart 99% of hacking attempts. Vulnerability remains internal, in other words, no one outside is very likely to hack your computer or gain access to your hard drives. You still are at greatest risk from spyware programs that install on your machine and infect web browsers to capture SS# and Credit Card info as you fill in online forms.
I don't know what the hell has gotten into you, but you're actually making sense lately.

lol...

Yeah and my point was your firewall is pointless when the data goes out the door via google drive, apple cloud, gmail, smtp, .. or on this forum.

Sure govco employees don't care ... right up till their software links a few words together that trigger their automated alert systems. Then the weight of the authoritarian system comes crashing down on ya and people with storm trooper uniforms come banging on your door to see if you were just posing on a forum or if you really are a guy who likes liberty enough to fight for it.

lol...

Yeah and my point was your firewall is pointless when the data goes out the door via google drive, apple cloud, gmail, smtp, .. or on this forum.

Sure govco employees don't care ... right up till their software links a few words together that trigger their automated alert systems. Then the weight of the authoritarian system comes crashing down on ya and people with storm trooper uniforms come banging on your door to see if you were just posing on a forum or if you really are a guy who likes liberty enough to fight for it.

You're hitting a key point, yet missing it.

Yes, what happens in the so called cloud is crawled over by millions of spiders and web crawlers, looking for patterns to pitch you products in the form of popup ads, etc.

But that isn't on your computer, that's on the internet. You have ZERO expectation of privacy on the net.

Want a safe and secure backup? Use a replication software like Syncback to move files to a portable drive. Turn the drive off when not in use. You are about as safe as possible. Powered down drives don't fail.

I keep all my photos backed up on a drive that only gets turned on when I upload new ones. It's not going to fail, because it has maybe 10 hours of use on it.

^^^ Delusional.

If you think that your everyday cloud contents are being perused by Big Gummint, then yes, you are delusional.

Dude, every thing is scanned. Nothing goes unturned. Every single text message. Every single email. Everything gets scanned. EVERYTHING

lol...

You're hitting a key point, yet missing it.

Yes, what happens in the so called cloud is crawled over by millions of spiders and web crawlers, looking for patterns to pitch you products in the form of popup ads, etc.

But that isn't on your computer, that's on the internet. You have ZERO expectation of privacy on the net.

Want a safe and secure backup? Use a replication software like Syncback to move files to a portable drive. Turn the drive off when not in use. You are about as safe as possible. Powered down drives don't fail.

I keep all my photos backed up on a drive that only gets turned on when I upload new ones. It's not going to fail, because it has maybe 10 hours of use on it.

How is my making the point missing it?

You say I have ZERO expectation of privacy on the net.

Yeah, well I don't remember ever agreeing to that. Meta data? Yeah they could have a point, about meta data being similar to seeing you talk to a suspect from a remote distance on public lands. But looking at meta data is not opening up all of my "papers" that I use to communicate privately with over networks and cross indexing my private comments to identify particular behavior of mine in my private speech and photos.

Dude, every thing is scanned. Nothing goes unturned. Every single text message. Every single email. Everything gets scanned. EVERYTHING

Scanned but not necessarily human read. They're looking for "trigger" words and phrases associated with terrorism and other criminal activity, the software finds the words and phrases and flags them for reading. The vast majority are most likely looked at and dismissed as the search parameters can't determine content or context.

Again, these all go out over public airwaves or across the public internet. Once data goes past your home router, there is zero expectation of privacy.

But no one is scanning your local drives. And if you're really concerned, use TrueCrypt - I guarantee no one will snoop it.

Yeah, well I don't remember ever agreeing to that. Meta data? Yeah they could have a point, about meta data being similar to seeing you talk to a suspect from a remote distance on public lands. But looking at meta data is not opening up all of my "papers" that I use to communicate privately with over networks and cross indexing my private comments to identify particular behavior of mine in my private speech and photos.

Going on the internet is like going outside. In your home, you have a right to expect your conversations will be kept private. But once you go to the local mall, you simply can't expect that anymore. The internet is public by it's very nature. What you say and do will can be known by any who care to look.

Again, these all go out over public airwaves or across the public internet. Once data goes past your home router, there is zero expectation of privacy.

But no one is scanning your local drives. And if you're really concerned, use TrueCrypt - I guarantee no one will snoop it.

TrueCrypt is great to thwart some kiddie hacker or someone not really determined but you are mistaken if you think someone cannot scan your hard drive. Even with TrueCrypt I'm pretty sure the government can crack it.

TrueCrypt is great to thwart some kiddie hacker or someone not really determined but you are mistaken if you think someone cannot scan your hard drive. Even with TrueCrypt I'm pretty sure the government can crack it.

AES 256 bit encryption is damned tough to crack. If the government wants your data bad enough to even attempt a crack, you'll be in handcuffs and the machine will be confiscated.

No one is going to hack in an crack it - it takes days to weeks to crack it, even with serious hardware.

AES 256 bit encryption is damned tough to crack. If the government wants your data bad enough to even attempt a crack, you'll be in handcuffs and the machine will be confiscated.

No one is going to hack in an crack it - it takes days to weeks to crack it, even with serious hardware.

For the common hacker probably. You evidently have no clue what the government has in the way of breaking encryption or their methods of obtaining data without alerting other parties. Thats not even mentioning the backdoors given to them by the originators of said software.

For the common hacker probably. You evidently have no clue what the government has in the way of breaking encryption or their methods of obtaining data without alerting other parties. Thats not even mentioning the backdoors given to them by the originators of said software.

Again, I acknowledge that the fed can get through. But at the point that they will go to that extreme, they will already have you in custody.

Again, I acknowledge that the fed can get through. But at the point that they will go to that extreme, they will already have you in custody.

Not if they want to let you operate to lead them to bigger fish.

With enough computing power any encryption can be cracked.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Going on the internet is like going outside. In your home, you have a right to expect your conversations will be kept private. But once you go to the local mall, you simply can't expect that anymore. The internet is public by it's very nature. What you say and do will can be known by any who care to look.
Yes, but that's not what's happening. I'm in my house sending communications to friends over a private lines... and still they open my papers. If I go for a drive the stuff in my car is private even though I drive on the road. If I go for a walk the stuff in my wallet is private even though it's in my pocket. If I have a private conversation in the park, I have an expectation that the US GOVERNMENT ISNT LISTENING to me with a microphone in the frigging bush. It's against the law for them to attach a gps unit to my car without a warrant. It's against the law for them to wire tap my phones without a warrant. There is no difference between my conversations on a phone line and my conversations on the internet, in fact many phone conversations are converted to IP and transmitted over the very same networks that carry internet traffic.

Dude, they don't have the right to scan your shit without a warrant. There is a huge difference between a federal officer casually hearing your conversation while standing next to you and a wire taping device being used to listen in to every single conversation in the country without a friggin warrant.

There's a reason they only did this to foreign countries pre 911. There's a reason they initially pretended they were just collecting meta-data.

The reason is, it's a against the law to go through your papers without your permission if they don't have a friggin warrant or reasonable evidence that you are committing some crime.

Last edited:
With enough computing power any encryption can be cracked.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

And with a deep enough encryption it's easy to encrypt data to the point where no existing amount of computing power could possibly decrypt the data over your lifetime. Of course that would be against the law. The government likes us to use encryption they can easily decrypt.

So pretty much buy whatever you're comfortable with, PC or Mac, take care of it but face the reality that many of these machines are built with planned obsolescence in mind and having to replace it in five years isn't an exception but more the rule?

I miss the days when things lasted longer.

Forum List

Back