PC or Apple?

Over the years I have had both PCs and Macs.

At the time I started using computers the logical choice (graphics were not yet a factor) was the PC for a long list of reasons.

BUT once the internet became a big factor things started to change. You could count on the most popular browser, Internet Explorer, to expose you to every bit of malware out there. Mac got a big edge because the operating system (OS) was much more resistant to most hackers and they didn't pay that much attention anyway because they wanted max damage out of least effort - there weren't that many Macs around to infect.

I shifted to an early iMac and those problems went away. Then to a faster, slightly later, iMac and started using stuff like PhotoShop Elements and some engineering design programs. On, then to a MacMini which performed as well as PCs that cost twice as much and took up much more space.

Then a 24-inch iMac - excellent machine and still in use.

Added a 27-inch iMac - fastest available at the time and still in use with a second screen. Problem was that the version PhotoShop I used on the 24-inch won't run on the newer processor in the 27. OK, learned a new version of PS but now it seems the version I'm using won't run on the latest (Mavericks) OS so I'm sorta stuck. I also got locked into an earlier generation Appleworks package (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) that won't run under Mavericks so I'm in a time warp.

Finally, an 11" MacBook AIR which is perfect for travel. Upgraded it to Mavericks since I use a whole different set of programs on the road.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with the Mac family but what someone else might like depends on where they are in their "computing life" and what they want to do. Today the capabilities of both PC and Mac are about the same though the latest Windows (8.0) runs more like something you'd use on your smartphone. If you're a smartphone addict you'll find the PC with Windows 8.0 quite workable. If you're a regular computer user with no love of the smartphone you'll hate the PC.

Over the years I have found the Apple products more long-lasting and subject to fewer problems. The tendency is to outgrow them with a need for more speed which, when quenched, results in incompatibility with programs to which you've grown attached. It may be the same with Windows so caution all the way.

If you're a computer user think hard about some of the tablets. To make them act the way you want you might have to add expensive accessories like keyboards, a mouse, and discover to your horror that many have NO usb port so everything has to be wireless. Possibly meaning a new printer and God Only Knows what else.

Nice thing about PC laptops - you can buy them cheap. If you do then back them up regularly because they will crap out pretty fast. Nice, though, since they don't cost all that much and the replacement will do more and do it faster.

Good luck.....

Over the years I have had both PCs and Macs.

At the time I started using computers the logical choice (graphics were not yet a factor) was the PC for a long list of reasons.

BUT once the internet became a big factor things started to change. You could count on the most popular browser, Internet Explorer, to expose you to every bit of malware out there. Mac got a big edge because the operating system (OS) was much more resistant to most hackers and they didn't pay that much attention anyway because they wanted max damage out of least effort - there weren't that many Macs around to infect.

I shifted to an early iMac and those problems went away. Then to a faster, slightly later, iMac and started using stuff like PhotoShop Elements and some engineering design programs. On, then to a MacMini which performed as well as PCs that cost twice as much and took up much more space.

Then a 24-inch iMac - excellent machine and still in use.

Added a 27-inch iMac - fastest available at the time and still in use with a second screen. Problem was that the version PhotoShop I used on the 24-inch won't run on the newer processor in the 27. OK, learned a new version of PS but now it seems the version I'm using won't run on the latest (Mavericks) OS so I'm sorta stuck. I also got locked into an earlier generation Appleworks package (word processing, spreadsheet, etc.) that won't run under Mavericks so I'm in a time warp.

Finally, an 11" MacBook AIR which is perfect for travel. Upgraded it to Mavericks since I use a whole different set of programs on the road.

All-in-all, I'm very happy with the Mac family but what someone else might like depends on where they are in their "computing life" and what they want to do. Today the capabilities of both PC and Mac are about the same though the latest Windows (8.0) runs more like something you'd use on your smartphone. If you're a smartphone addict you'll find the PC with Windows 8.0 quite workable. If you're a regular computer user with no love of the smartphone you'll hate the PC.

Over the years I have found the Apple products more long-lasting and subject to fewer problems. The tendency is to outgrow them with a need for more speed which, when quenched, results in incompatibility with programs to which you've grown attached. It may be the same with Windows so caution all the way.

If you're a computer user think hard about some of the tablets. To make them act the way you want you might have to add expensive accessories like keyboards, a mouse, and discover to your horror that many have NO usb port so everything has to be wireless. Possibly meaning a new printer and God Only Knows what else.

Nice thing about PC laptops - you can buy them cheap. If you do then back them up regularly because they will crap out pretty fast. Nice, though, since they don't cost all that much and the replacement will do more and do it faster.

Good luck.....
It is always best to wait before upgrading to a new OS and wait until the bugs are fixed and SW developers have caught up. Early adopters are basically beta testers. Even though the upgrade to Mavericks is FREE, I'm still running Mountain Lion for now.

It is always best to wait before upgrading to a new OS and wait until the bugs are fixed and SW developers have caught up. Early adopters are basically beta testers. Even though the upgrade to Mavericks is FREE, I'm still running Mountain Lion for now.

I agree.

Mavericks has proven stable since I installed it on the MacBook. It has an intriguing new "MAIL" program however it thoughtfully allows the option of staying with the old human interface so would, for some, be a nasty learning curve is eliminated.

In any case, new versions of PhotoShop Elements as likely required to work with Mavericks, are not free. Since the version I'm using does all I need and I use it only on the 27" there was no need to hold back on updating the MacBook. Since I have already begun shifting from AppleWorks to Pages and Numbers on the 27" the elimination of their functionality from the MacBook is of small consequence. I do like the improved speed of Mavericks, impressive even though running on one of the earlier MacBooks.

Only thing I could seriously wish for on the MacBook is improved sensitivity for WiFi. I often use it in Europe and it's too often a challenge to use hotel interconnection without hunting around in the building for a hot-enough spot.

Bought a Macbook Pro 13" laptop in 2010

Had to replace the battery last year.

Other than that its been a work horse with no problems. .. :cool:

I have found it is better to run your battery down before charging it again. I used to always keep my laptops plugged in, but it made the batteries weak.

I have only owned PCs. I like opening them up, upgrading, etc. Much more flexibility with a PC.

I use Microsoft Office for a lot of database and spreadsheet programs. People tell me you can run Office on an Apple but many people have problems with it.

Then on the other hand, Rush Limbaugh swears by Apple.

Use of MS office is slowly going the way of the dodo bird, being replaced over time by web based tools like google apps and other open source office tools.

Buying an apple product is like buying a car destined to be a classic. Buying a PC is like buying a disposable razor. Most apple products retain their value and keep on working decades after purchase, when / if you are ready to upgrade to a new one you can sell the old one for really good money, just like a classic car. With a PC they need to be replaced much sooner and when you do you can't even sell them for the value of the metals in the box.

Running linux on a PC or Mac? Yeah that's like building a custom car. Not recommended for people who are not technically gifted.

Last edited:
Get Apple Care...It's worth it's weight in gold.
If something DOES go wrong, there's no passing the buck.
Use Pages and Numbers (Each $9.99) instead of the MS Office.

Open source is the future and the future is here now, unless you have some specific software to run. Then that will dictate your choice.

I mostly used PCs, got to building my own and made lots of money over the years in business. At home I eventually went with a iMac, then a MacBook Pro. Both eventually died. Meanwhile I converted the PC to Linux. It's a steeper learning curve but worth it if you can manage. I have three distros and XP on this one, mostly using Debian.

The open source stuff is good these days and in most cases better than anything I had for Windows or Macs. And it's free.

Bought a Macbook Pro 13" laptop in 2010

Had to replace the battery last year.

Other than that its been a work horse with no problems. .. :cool:

I have found it is better to run your battery down before charging it again. I used to always keep my laptops plugged in, but it made the batteries weak.

Depends on what the battery is made of, more modern battery tech does not have that problem. Another issue that may arise is operating temperature. Extreme heat and cold can seriously damage battery life.

Open source is the future and the future is here now, unless you have some specific software to run. Then that will dictate your choice.

I mostly used PCs, got to building my own and made lots of money over the years in business. At home I eventually went with a iMac, then a MacBook Pro. Both eventually died. Meanwhile I converted the PC to Linux. It's a steeper learning curve but worth it if you can manage. I have three distros and XP on this one, mostly using Debian.

The open source stuff is good these days and in most cases better than anything I had for Windows or Macs. And it's free.

Both died? I lost a hard drive on my 6year old mac book pro.. replaced it and added memory and it's running great. I have an 11y old powerPC based iMac that is still running great. Put your stuff on eBay you'll be amazed at what you can get for it.

Buying an apple product is like buying a car destined to be a classic. Buying a PC is like buying a disposable razor. Most apple products retain their value and keep on working decades after purchase, when / if you are ready to upgrade to a new one you can sell the old one for really good money, just like a classic car. With a PC they need to be replaced much sooner and when you do you can't even sell them for the value of the metals in the box.

Running linux on a PC or Mac? Yeah that's like building a custom car. Not recommended for people who are not technically gifted.

Then you are unfamiliar with the current Ubuntu and Mint distros.

My son bought the Mac Air 13"...The display is crystal clear.
He installed Wine and is running his Windows programs as needed.
The last two Macs lasted at least five years with no issues.
My daughters entire grade went Mac about five years ago and none of them would buy a PC.

Or Zorin:

Make Switching From Windows To Linux Easier With Zorin OS

*snip*

It’s not that Linux is hard to use or understand, but it simply doesn’t fit the Windows mindset that most people have. Expecting to do everything in Linux exactly like in Windows is where problems start appearing, which can easily deter a good number of users. Thankfully, there is now a Linux distribution that could make the process a whole lot easier.

*snip*

zorinos_desktop.jpg

Or Zorin:

*snip*

It’s not that Linux is hard to use or understand, but it simply doesn’t fit the Windows mindset that most people have. Expecting to do everything in Linux exactly like in Windows is where problems start appearing, which can easily deter a good number of users. Thankfully, there is now a Linux distribution that could make the process a whole lot easier.

*snip*

zorinos_desktop.jpg

My favorite unix based shell is the mac. You should try it they've put a lot of effort into it. I'll give a couple of the new linux distros a try, but I spent 16years writing operating systems for a living so when I go to "use" one I like it to be clean, fully functional, and get the job done in a sparkly way that I'm familiar with. Sort of like a classic chevy. Yeah the new stuff may work, but why spend the time money and effort to switch to something completely different that just does not have the same snap or feel as you are used to.

Or Zorin:

*snip*

*snip*

zorinos_desktop.jpg

My favorite unix based shell is the mac. You should try it they've put a lot of effort into it. I'll give a couple of the new linux distros a try, but I spent 16years writing operating systems for a living so when I go to "use" one I like it to be clean, fully functional, and get the job done in a sparkly way that I'm familiar with. Sort of like a classic chevy. Yeah the new stuff may work, but why spend the time money and effort to switch to something completely different that just does not have the same snap or feel as you are used to.

Because some people aren't locked into a specific paradigm and are willing to explore and learn based on their abilities, wants and needs. While I still use Win7 for many applications I prefer Linux for everything else. Why Linux as opposed to Mac? Because Linux is free and while I first started using it when the learning curve was still steep it's progressed to a point where the typical user will experience a nearly seamless transition with the "snap" you're looking for. Much to the chagrin of the Linux purists.

Forum List

Back