PC or Apple?

I can't even begin to count the number of documents I wrote on a Selectric - and all the White Out I used.

And then - I got an IBM MST Selectric, probably one of the first ever word processors.

Here's what I've been told -

Edited to add: From here on is my post ....

White out and carbon paper.

Learning "touch typing" and shorthand in high school.

Now little kids learn "keyboarding" in 2nd grade or earlier.

Something I used to miss are the old fasioned typewriter erasers. They were wonderful for graphite drawing. Now though, they've been replaced with better erasers for drawing so its all good.

Apple.

I went through 3 PCs in 18 months.

I was so disgusted, I walked into a CompUSA and bought an iMac on the spot, even though I'd never used an Apple before. I've never looked back.

Exactly. Apple lives up to their rep. Been using them for close to 20 years. I have PC's too, and they are like dimestore junk.

BTW, you can get a Mac Mini very cheap, and they are great.

I like the big screen.

My Toshiba is bigger than 17". I'll miss that if I go to a Mac Pro and I have an iPad for when we travel.

We're also considering another iPad before our France trip this March. Its that or we have to share ...

I've been hemming and hawing for months about buying a new laptop. I've had nothing but PC's but also have iPhone and iPad. The PC I have now is a Toshiba Satellite P775-S7215, second Toshiba I've had and third in my family. I've liked them before but this thing has been nothing but one problem after another.

So which do you have and what do you like/not like about it?

If you were buying, what would you choose?

Also, where do you think the best buy is?

It depends on what you are doing. Even today, Mac is not very compatible with popular software. If all you do is a few office apps and Facebook, a Mac is an okay (albeit expensive) choice.

But if you need compatibility with most software, it Mac isn't a good choice.

I can't even begin to count the number of documents I wrote on a Selectric - and all the White Out I used.

And then - I got an IBM MST Selectric, probably one of the first ever word processors.

If you want a machine that's great for graphics, go with the MAC

Must be 1990...

Actually, Photoshop CS5 performs better on Windows 7, using the identical CPU, graphics card, and amount of RAM, than on Mac. (Though PC's have faster memory than Mac with DDR3 hitting 3600) Windows is a more efficient operating system than OSX.

Apple.

I went through 3 PCs in 18 months.

I was so disgusted, I walked into a CompUSA and bought an iMac on the spot, even though I'd never used an Apple before. I've never looked back.

That's how I'm feeling about my pc right now - I could throw it off the deck and not care.

I have a friend who has had the same Mac forever and loves it because viruses are never a threat, work horse tough, never goes out of date.

The newer Macs are very expensive but if its the last computer I ever buy, it would be worth it.

Yes, I want, need and prefer a laptop for the convenience and portability. Would not consider going back to the dinosaur desktop.

Hate buying from a box store but my Toshiba will not back up anything onto disk or stick. I need a pro to do that for me and that might mean a trip to the big city to go to Best Buy.

Decisions, decisions, decisions ...

If you've decided to buy an Apple I recommend you either go to an Apple store or give them a call on the phone to discuss exactly what you would like your new computer to do. They can help you build one exactly to fit your needs plus if you go to the Apple store somebody there will be able to answer any questions you might have fully and you won't get the knucklehead at a box store who only knows what somebody told him to say.

If you want a machine that's great for graphics, go with the MAC

Must be 1990...

Actually, Photoshop CS5 performs better on Windows 7, using the identical CPU, graphics card, and amount of RAM, than on Mac. (Though PC's have faster memory than Mac with DDR3 hitting 3600) Windows is a more efficient operating system than OSX.

I have to disagree with you. I have Photoshop CS5 installed on my iMac and it works perfectly fine.

>

I'm a PC guy and I'm typing this on a Dell as we speak. However I work in a school environment and everyone else has Mac's

One thing I do like about Mac's is their "Time Machine" which make backups seemless and very efficient.

>>>>

I have to disagree with you. I have Photoshop CS5 installed on my iMac and it works perfectly fine.

Irrelevant.

Anand did a shootout running CS5 on a Mac with a 2nd gen I7 2600 on both a Windows based PC and a Power Mac, Both machines had 8gb of DDR 3, though the PC was clocked at 3600, Anand underclocked it down to 1600 to make it fair.

On virtually identical hardware, the Windows machine significantly out performed the Mac. The story has scrolled, but it was very detailed.

>

I'm a PC guy and I'm typing this on a Dell as we speak. However I work in a school environment and everyone else has Mac's

One thing I do like about Mac's is their "Time Machine" which make backups seemless and very efficient.

>>>>

On the PC, for home backups I highly recommend Syncback.

2BrightSparks | SyncBackFree, SyncBackSE, and SyncBackPro

It's a snapshot system and completely hands off. So you get multiple points of recovery with no effort past the initial replication.

I've been hemming and hawing for months about buying a new laptop. I've had nothing but PC's but also have iPhone and iPad. The PC I have now is a Toshiba Satellite P775-S7215, second Toshiba I've had and third in my family. I've liked them before but this thing has been nothing but one problem after another.

I'm sort of maybe in the market. I'm really tempted by the Lenovo Yoga2. It's a hybrid that lets you take full advantage of Win8 touch screen advantages in tablet mode or you can use it in traditional laptop mode. And it has an awesome 3,200x1,800 display that should keep you happy for a few years. I'm just in the browsing stage now but I'd really like something that doesn't seem obsolete in a year. It runs around a grand just about anywhere so that's a reasonable hit I think.

I'm sort of maybe in the market. I'm really tempted by the Lenovo Yoga2. It's a hybrid that lets you take full advantage of Win8 touch screen advantages in tablet mode or you can use it in traditional laptop mode. And it has an awesome 3,200x1,800 display that should keep you happy for a few years. I'm just in the browsing stage now but I'd really like something that doesn't seem obsolete in a year. It runs around a grand just about anywhere so that's a reasonable hit I think.

I have a Surface Pro II - and adore it. Same concept of a hybrid. It's tablet size, 10.8 inch but with an I5, 8gb DDR3 and a 512gb SSD. I have a 17 inch Alienware that collects dust, the surface is that good.

Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Review - Laptop Replacement - LAPTOP

I like apples but I prefer them in pies, crisps, cobblers and cakes.

My first experience with Macs was a bad one. We acquired a company with about 80 Macs back in the late 90's. The damned things were so virus infected that they were unusable. We were trying to get inventory data and some basic job shop information off of them, but the virus would make them crash every 10 seconds or so. They had no cleaning software availible to the public, such as all that was common for the PC. So we had to hire some arrogant prick of a Mac expert to clean them. Naturally he was incompetent and didn't grasp the concept of networks. He'd clean one, and another would reinfect it. We finally isolated a couple of machines, cleaned them, and threw the rest away, because it was too expensive to disinfect the damned thing. Never liked Macs after that - all the lies about them not getting viruses only increased my disdain for them.

Then when I got my MBA, I wrote a profile on Apple, in which I did extensive research into their management models, investment strategies, off-shoring and distributed processing initiatives, etc. I found that Apple is about the shittiest company their is. Sergey Brin is right, Apple is evil, with a malevolence toward customer and employee alike.

So, I'm no fan of Apple...

Last Apple I owned was a IIe or maybe it was a IIc Lord, that goes back a long way! All I remember about it was that after buying it, I found out I could not expand it with anything but a printer. I was not happy and never even looked at Apple again. Of course, surely things have changed with Apple, right?

How wrong you were.
My place of employment at that time used Apple IIs to run the average weight system for the factory's production.
The add ons were many and varied; the problem seems to be, you had no clue about them.

However, I wouldn't buy an Apple anything as they are at the moment.
You pay more for something that does less and is harder to get anything for.
Just as He was wrong about MacIIs, they had NuBus slots for expansion, you are wrong about current Macs. They are expandable via PCIe slots.

I like apples but I prefer them in pies, crisps, cobblers and cakes.

My first experience with Macs was a bad one. We acquired a company with about 80 Macs back in the late 90's. The damned things were so virus infected that they were unusable. We were trying to get inventory data and some basic job shop information off of them, but the virus would make them crash every 10 seconds or so. They had no cleaning software availible to the public, such as all that was common for the PC. So we had to hire some arrogant prick of a Mac expert to clean them. Naturally he was incompetent and didn't grasp the concept of networks. He'd clean one, and another would reinfect it. We finally isolated a couple of machines, cleaned them, and threw the rest away, because it was too expensive to disinfect the damned thing. Never liked Macs after that - all the lies about them not getting viruses only increased my disdain for them.

Then when I got my MBA, I wrote a profile on Apple, in which I did extensive research into their management models, investment strategies, off-shoring and distributed processing initiatives, etc. I found that Apple is about the shittiest company their is. Sergey Brin is right, Apple is evil, with a malevolence toward customer and employee alike.

So, I'm no fan of Apple...
Bullshit!

Not only were viruses rare, there was Norton Utilities, which later became Norton Systemworks, which can clean up an infected computer. Someone took advantage of your Mac ignorance.

It depends on what you are doing. Even today, Mac is not very compatible with popular software. If all you do is a few office apps and Facebook, a Mac is an okay (albeit expensive) choice.

But if you need compatibility with most software, it Mac isn't a good choice.
Actually you can boot into Windows on a Mac, so you can run any program on a mac.

Windows on Intel Macs

There are presently several alternatives for running Windows on Intel Macs.

1. Install the Apple Boot Camp software. Purchase Windows
XP w/Service Pak2, Vista, or Windows 7. For Boot Camp
4.0 and above you can only use Windows 7 or later. Follow
instructions in the Boot Camp documentation on
installation of Boot Camp, creating Driver CD, and
installing Windows. Boot Camp enables you to boot the
computer into OS X or Windows.
2. Parallels Desktop for Mac and Windows XP, Vista Business,
Vista Ultimate, or Windows 7. Parallels is software
virtualization that enables running Windows concurrently
with OS X.
3. VM Fusion and Windows XP, Vista Business, Vista Ultimate,
or Windows 7. VM Fusion is software virtualization that
enables running Windows concurrently with OS X.
4. CrossOver which enables running many Windows
applications without having to install Windows. The
Windows applications can run concurrently with OS X.
5. VirtualBox is an Open Source freeware virtual machine such
as VM Fusion and Parallels that was developed by Solaris.
It is not as fully developed for the Mac as Parallels and VM
Fusion.

Note that VirtualBox, Parallels, and VM Fusion can also run other operating systems such as Linux, Unix, OS/2, Solaris, etc. There are performance differences between dual-boot systems and virtualization. The latter tend to be a little slower (not much) and do not provide the video performance of the dual-boot system. See MacTech Labs- Virtualization Benchmarks, January 2013 | MacTech for comparisons of Boot Camp, Parallels, and VM Fusion. Boot Camp is only available with Leopard or Snow Leopard. Except for Crossover and a couple of similar alternatives like DarWine you must have a valid installer disc for Windows.

You must also have an internal optical drive for installing Windows. Windows cannot be installed from an external optical drive.

Last edited:
Just as He was wrong about MacIIs, they had NuBus slots for expansion, you are wrong about current Macs. They are expandable via PCIe slots.

They (Apple) are running Foxconn motherboards that are functionally identical to a Foxconn you'd buy at Frys to build a PC. Other than limiting memory to 1600, there is virtually no difference on a hardware level between a modern Mac and PC using sub-standard Foxconn components.

Foxconn H61AP LGA 1155 Intel H61 ATX Intel Motherboard - Newegg.com

Forum List

Back