Panel wants LA to look at using prizes to boost voter turnout

Theowl32

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2013
Alarmed that fewer than one-fourth of voters are showing up for municipal elections, the Los Angeles Ethics Commission voted Thursday to recommend that the City Council look at using cash prizes to lure a greater number of people to the polls.

On a 3-0 vote, the panel said it wanted City Council President Herb Wesson's Rules, Elections and Intergovernmental Relations Committee to seriously consider the use of financial incentives and a random drawing during its elections, possibly as soon as next year.

Depending on the source of city funds, the idea could require a ballot measure. Commissioners said they were unsure how big the prizes should be or how many should be offered, saying a pilot program should first be used to test the concept.

"Maybe it's $25,000 maybe it's $50,000," said Commission President Nathan Hochman. "That's where the pilot program comes in -- to figure out what ... number and amount of prizes would actually get people to the voting box."

Panel wants L.A. to look at using prizes to boost voter turnout - LA Times

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Personally, I would rather 5% of an informed public vote, rather than 80% of an uninformed public. I wonder, who they are trying to get to vote.

Um, looks like 3 people are about to be out of a job. Can't incentivise people to vote. ...Afaik. Would scream bribery and buying votes.

Um, looks like 3 people are about to be out of a job. Can't incentivise people to vote. ...Afaik. Would scream bribery and buying votes.

Which is why these things are illegal in 49 of 50 states. California, the liberal utopia, is one state that it is not illegal.

I wonder how most of these people vote. They are generally poor, out of work and woefully uniformed. You think they would take a pay check to vote? You think they are generally the types that gleefully takes welfare checks? You think they are overwhelmingly democratic voters?

Yet, the limousine liberal blobs celebrate this shit.

Which is why these things are illegal in 49 of 50 states. California, the liberal utopia, is one state that it is not illegal.

I wonder how most of these people vote. They are generally poor, out of work and woefully uniformed. You think they would take a pay check to vote? You think they are generally the types that gleefully takes welfare checks? You think they are overwhelmingly democratic voters?

Yet, the limousine liberal blobs celebrate this shit.

What if we make the 'prize' an official voter ID card? :badgrin:

-Geaux

From a 2012 article about this very thing,

"The promotion seemed like a good idea, but it was rescinded when it was realized that rewarding people for their votes is illegal. Even though Capitol City Brewing Company didn't endorse a candidate, paying people—whether with money or something else—to vote is against the law.

But a pair of local fast-food chains might not have gotten the notice. California Tortilla and Z-Burger are both promising to give away free menu items next Tuesday to anyone who walks into their restaurants and stating that they took part in the election. However, that, too, could land them in a legal pickle.

On Election Day, people arriving at California Tortilla with one of those stickers can get a free taco, while those going to Z-Burger can get a free hamburger. At least, that's what's being offered. But those companies might want to rethink their offer after reading Section 597 of Title 18 of United States Code:

Whoever makes or offers to make an expenditure to any person, either to vote or withhold his vote, or to vote for or against any candidate; and whoever solicits, accepts, or receives any such expenditure in consideration of his vote or the withholding of his vote—shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than one year, or both; and if the violation was willful, shall be fined under this title or imprisoned not more than two years, or both."
Free Tacos and Hamburgers on Election Day? Not So Fast: DCist

Seems it's illegal across the board, but only for Federal elections. California might get away with it being Municipal.

California law prohibits people from using money or gifts to ensure that voters cast ballots for any particular person or measure. Money also cannot be used to keep people from voting in a particular election, according to information provided by the secretary of state's office.

Hochman said an election day lottery would simply require that people enter the voting booth -- not cast a particular vote.

People who don't vote have already voted. They have voted to have the rest of us decide what is right for them. I have absolutely no problem with that situation. When I ran for office I had to hope democrats either didn't vote or crossed over. I never really cared if someone who didn't take the time to understand the situation voted. What good would it be to a Republican, or a Democrat if the party showed up with a cattle car full of voters that have been paid, or convinced to vote a certain way.

I say those too lazy to take part in the system shouldn't vote.

I gotta say I think voting is the worst idea in the world. It assumes voters get accurate actionable information about candidates when nothing could be further from the truth. It's more like a high school popularity contest with various cliques and factions voting for their own people instead of the best one for the job. Monarchies worked fine for thousands of years, what was wrong with that? :)

I don't vote in local elections. We have a peculiar primary in which the top two candidates run in the general election. California being what it is, those two are democrats running against one another. I have no intention of voting for a democrat why would I bother voting. No matter who it is its someone I don't want.

The fewer people who vote, the better it is. If you are so uninformed or so disinterested that you don't care to vote then YOU SHOULDN'T BE VOTING!. The people who show up because of incentives are likely going to either flip a coin or vote for some stupid reason. Better they should stay home.

The only think dumber than incentivizing the vote is campaigning to "keep kids in school." If they don't want to be there, they will be a cancer if induced to stay. Fuck 'em.

I don't vote in local elections. We have a peculiar primary in which the top two candidates run in the general election. California being what it is, those two are democrats running against one another. I have no intention of voting for a democrat why would I bother voting. No matter who it is its someone I don't want.

Really? Which contest ended up with two Dems as the top two candidates?

Los Angeles Mayor. Democrat Eric Garcetti and Democrat Wendy Gruel. They are both disgusting. So no matter who got in they were going to be the same disgusting. Only 16% were interested in which democrat was going to pick their pocket.

Forum List

Back