Outsourcing government services works

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
It seems Sandy Springs proved that you can save money, and get better services, by not using the government.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8qFvo2qJOU]YouTube - Sandy Springs, Georgia: The City that Outsourced Everything[/ame]

It seems Sandy Springs proved that you can save money, and get better services, by not using the government.
* Not Intended To Be A Factual Statement

July 9, 2006

"When U.S. troops entered Baghdad in the spring of 2003, there was no electricity, widespread looting and little evidence of postwar planning. With the American military stretched to the limit, the Pentagon set up the Coalition Provisional Authority (CPA) to govern the country under Ambassador Paul Bremer, who began hiring private companies to secure and rebuild the country.

There were no banks or wire transfers to pay them, no bean counters to keep track of the money. Just vaults and footlockers stuffed with billions of dollars in cash.

"Fresh, new, crisp, unspent, just-printed $100 bills. It was the Wild West," recalls Frank Willis, who was the No. 2 man at the Coalition Provisional Authority’s Ministry of Transportation.

The money was a mixture of Iraqi oil revenues, war booty and U.S. government funds earmarked for the coalition authority. Whenever cash was needed, someone went down to the vault with a wheelbarrow or gunny sacks.

"Those are $100,000 bricks of $100 bills and that’s $2 million there," Willis explains, looking at a photo of brick-shaped stacks of money wrapped in plastic. "This, in fact, is a payment that we made on the 1st of August to a company called Custer Battles."

Willis says the bricks of money were also sometimes referred to as footballs, "… because we passed them around in little pickup games in our office," he says laughing.

Asked if he has any evidence that the accounting system was a little loose, Willis says, "I would describe it as nonexistent."

$ $ $ $
"On March 9th, 2006, a federal jury in Virginia found Scott Custer, Michael Battles and Joseph Morris "guilty of defrauding the United States by filing grossly inflated invoices for work in the chaotic year after the Iraqi invasion."

The trial dealt with only one of several CusterBattles' contracts and the jury found that the entire $3 million in the contract had been "gained by fraud". The defendants will have to "repay the government triple damages and also pay fines for 37 fraudulent acts.....

The biggest benefit isnt from the cost savings, its from the fact that if the subcontractor screws up, or does not provide the service as specified, they can be dismissed and another subcontractor can be brought in to replace them.

Try that with city workers or a city agency. Once in, they tend to stay in, and any attempt to get them out requires navigating grievance procedures so onerous that it is easier to dump them somewhere where they can't break anything, and either hire someone new or cover thier work with OT from other workers.

The city also pays a set amount for any benefits to the sub, and they handle retirment/health care for thier workers.

The biggest benefit isnt from the cost savings, its from the fact that if the subcontractor screws up, or does not provide the service as specified, they can be dismissed and another subcontractor can be brought in to replace them.

Try that with city workers or a city agency. Once in, they tend to stay in, and any attempt to get them out requires navigating grievance procedures so onerous that it is easier to dump them somewhere where they can't break anything, and either hire someone new or cover thier work with OT from other workers.

The city also pays a set amount for any benefits to the sub, and they handle retirment/health care for thier workers.

Tell this to the servicemen and their families who were killed by Haliburton contractors. I am sure that will make them feel ALL better...

Sometimes contractors are appropriate, sometimes not. There is nothing wrong with experimenting. Governments, just like businesses, should always be striving for the best effectiveness at the least possible cost to the taxpayers.

Tell this to the servicemen and their families who were killed by Haliburton contractors. I am sure that will make them feel ALL better...

Considering the post and my comment refers to local municipalities and services like garbage pickup and water treatment I'm not sure where the haliburton thing comes in.

And please reference your statement that haliburton killed servicemen and families of servicemen. I would like to see the court case and convictions on that.

Considering the post and my comment refers to local municipalities and services like garbage pickup and water treatment I'm not sure where the haliburton thing comes in.

And please reference your statement that haliburton killed servicemen and families of servicemen. I would like to see the court case and convictions on that.

Government is government, yes?

Green Beret electrocuted in shower on Iraq base - CNN.com

If you actually read the article it seems that the problems were reported, but were never authorized to be repaired because of a burecratic screw up. I work in construction, and what basically happened was KBR's scope did not include work to repair deficiencies. A simple scope fix would have rectified it, but this did not happen until the accidents occured. The blame here is on all parties, not just the contractor, so calling them out for "killing" someone due to an accident is dishonest.

And no, government is not goverment. I dont mind seeing things like garbage pickup and say DMV customer service privatized. Police and fire? Not so much.

If you actually read the article it seems that the problems were reported, but were never authorized to be repaired because of a burecratic screw up. I work in construction, and what basically happened was KBR's scope did not include work to repair deficiencies. A simple scope fix would have rectified it, but this did not happen until the accidents occured. The blame here is on all parties, not just the contractor, so calling them out for "killing" someone due to an accident is dishonest.

And no, government is not goverment. I dont mind seeing things like garbage pickup and say DMV customer service privatized. Police and fire? Not so much.

I too, work in service as well as construction, I guess my company simply has higher morals that yours or Haliburton's? To allow someone to be killed because your gross margin might suffer due to scope creep is reprehensible.

I too, work in service as well as construction, I guess my company simply has higher morals that yours or Haliburton's? To allow someone to be killed because your gross margin might suffer due to scope creep is reprehensible.

Its also a liability issue. you do work out of scope and you screw it up, you open yourself up to lawsuits. The proper path is once the issue is noticed, you either direct the contractor to fix it on thier own dime as defective, or give them a Change Order or Scope Change to fix it. It seems here some DOD project manager dropped the ball. Why arent you going after him/her with the same level of moral anger?

Its also a liability issue. you do work out of scope and you screw it up, you open yourself up to lawsuits. The proper path is once the issue is noticed, you either direct the contractor to fix it on thier own dime as defective, or give them a Change Order or Scope Change to fix it. It seems here some DOD project manager dropped the ball. Why arent you going after him/her with the same level of moral anger?

Because you know as well as I do, that someone who takes pride in their jobs and workmanship would never have allowed this thing to go on.

"Army documents obtained by CNN show that U.S.-paid contractor Kellogg, Brown and Root (KBR) inspected the building and found serious electrical problems a full 11 months before Maseth was electrocuted.

KBR noted "several safety issues concerning the improper grounding of electrical devices." But KBR's contract did not cover "fixing potential hazards." It covered repairing items only after they broke down."

Hmm seems KBR alerted that there was a problem but in typical Government fashion people died because our Government couldn't give a shit.

Because you know as well as I do, that someone who takes pride in their jobs and workmanship would never have allowed this thing to go on.

In a perfect world that is the case. In the real world people do what thier contract says, and if they have to deviate they ask for a CO. Again note KBR reported the issue up the chain, and it sat for 11 months. Where is the anger in that?

I also wonder if KBR actually built this stuff, or were they the Project Manager?

Yeah.....that'll take care of everything......

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeNcAasonyg]YouTube - KBR Electrocution Deaths[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N4vQpuRsz0]YouTube - Whistleblower speaks out on KBR electrocutions[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXjCtkymRQ]YouTube - US Troops in Iraq talk about Halliburton & KBR[/ame]

I'm sure we can all take comfort in the fact....

No 1%ers' kids are suffering!!

Last edited:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BeNcAasonyg]YouTube - KBR Electrocution Deaths[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3N4vQpuRsz0]YouTube - Whistleblower speaks out on KBR electrocutions[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXjCtkymRQ]YouTube - US Troops in Iraq talk about Halliburton & KBR[/ame]​

Ugh, we are talking about local services like water treatment and garbage pickup. The counter arguments brought back so far involve KBR and federal overseas work. Also looking at the story as a whole the DOD is just as liable for the fuckup, as they were told their was a problem and some pentagon beancounter sat on it for 11 months.

Sometimes contractors are appropriate, sometimes not. There is nothing wrong with experimenting.
Yeah.....that's what it was....an experiment.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbDfYzq_HaQ&feature=related]YouTube - Truth about Halliburton and Dick Cheney[/ame]
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-TxqoMOp36c]YouTube - Fahrenheit 9/11 - Halliburton Scene[/ame]​

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=chXjCtkymRQ]YouTube - US Troops in Iraq talk about Halliburton & KBR[/ame]​

Ugh, we are talking about local services like water treatment and garbage pickup. The counter arguments brought back so far involve KBR and federal overseas work. Also looking at the story as a whole the DOD is just as liable for the fuckup, as they were told their was a problem and some pentagon beancounter sat on it for 11 months.
Gee.....what're the chances those "bean-counters" are the same ones who were "cherry-picking" (for The DICK; Cheney), during the germinal-days o' Cheney's Iraq Enterpri$e$??

:eusa_eh:

The military still has cooks. Most people understand that just because something does not work every time it can still be better than the alternative. What I posted is a small community that out sourced all of its services, not the DOD having to deal with federal politics in order to fire a contractor it should not have hired in the first place. There is a difference of scale, and a lot less influence from politicians. Do you think it is a coincidence that the major plant for Sodexo is in Tennessee, and that Lamarr Alexander just happens to be a ranking member on the appropriations committee?

Where did he say anything like that?

Forum List

Back