Outsourcing government services works

Discussion in 'Politics' started by Quantum Windbag, Apr 12, 2011.

1. Quantum Windbag

Quantum Windbag Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +5,221
    It seems Sandy Springs proved that you can save money, and get better services, by not using the government.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8qFvo2qJOU]YouTube - Sandy Springs, Georgia: The City that Outsourced Everything[/ame]

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  2. Mr. Shaman

Mr. Shaman Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +819
    * Not Intended To Be A Factual Statement

$ $ $ $

3. Seawytch

Seawytch Information isnt Advocacy

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +7,043
  4. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    The biggest benefit isnt from the cost savings, its from the fact that if the subcontractor screws up, or does not provide the service as specified, they can be dismissed and another subcontractor can be brought in to replace them.

Try that with city workers or a city agency. Once in, they tend to stay in, and any attempt to get them out requires navigating grievance procedures so onerous that it is easier to dump them somewhere where they can't break anything, and either hire someone new or cover thier work with OT from other workers.

The city also pays a set amount for any benefits to the sub, and they handle retirment/health care for thier workers.

5. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Tell this to the servicemen and their families who were killed by Haliburton contractors. I am sure that will make them feel ALL better...

6. Dont Taz Me Bro

Dont Taz Me Bro USMB Mod Staff Member Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +17,544
    Sometimes contractors are appropriate, sometimes not. There is nothing wrong with experimenting. Governments, just like businesses, should always be striving for the best effectiveness at the least possible cost to the taxpayers.

7. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    Considering the post and my comment refers to local municipalities and services like garbage pickup and water treatment I'm not sure where the haliburton thing comes in.

And please reference your statement that haliburton killed servicemen and families of servicemen. I would like to see the court case and convictions on that.

8. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    Government is government, yes?

Green Beret electrocuted in shower on Iraq base - CNN.com

9. martybegan

martybegan Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +11,046
    If you actually read the article it seems that the problems were reported, but were never authorized to be repaired because of a burecratic screw up. I work in construction, and what basically happened was KBR's scope did not include work to repair deficiencies. A simple scope fix would have rectified it, but this did not happen until the accidents occured. The blame here is on all parties, not just the contractor, so calling them out for "killing" someone due to an accident is dishonest.

And no, government is not goverment. I dont mind seeing things like garbage pickup and say DMV customer service privatized. Police and fire? Not so much.

10. VaYank5150

VaYank5150 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,055
    I too, work in service as well as construction, I guess my company simply has higher morals that yours or Haliburton's? To allow someone to be killed because your gross margin might suffer due to scope creep is reprehensible.