Oregon Gov bans executions as long as he is Governor.

RetiredGySgt

Diamond Member
May 6, 2007
North Carolina
Ore. governor bans death penalty for rest of term - Yahoo! News

I support the Death penalty and feel it is appropriate and I understand the frustration of the voters in Oregon that agree with it.

However, I ALSO understand the obvious feelings of this Governor. He has a moral obligation to himself and his State to do what he thinks is right. And I believe him when he says he is doing just that.

He is a politician and accepts that his beliefs may effect his electability but he acted on them anyway. His beliefs may be different then mine but I respect him for stating them and for acting on them.

I don't see how a doctor could approve of the death penalty.

Thanks for sharing the news.

Lots of Doctors find no problem with our legal system and the Death Penalty. Government has the right and the power to legally execute those that commit certain heinous crimes.

Lots of Doctors find no problem with our legal system and the Death Penalty. Government has the right and the power to legally execute those that commit certain heinous crimes.

The problem for me comes I simply don't trust the legal system to get it right.

I don't understand how people who can claim that the government doesn't do anything right can have such trust in the government that they'll allow them the power over life and death.

The problem for me comes I simply don't trust the legal system to get it right.

I don't understand how people who can claim that the government doesn't do anything right can have such trust in the government that they'll allow them the power over life and death.

Our legal system is the best in the world. I again ask, what does one do with a killer that continues to kill in prison? Give him more life time awards and turn him loose to kill again and again? How about those that rape and kill children? Or that murder Police and correction guards?

We're releasing a cannibal that ate his four year old victim. Chew on that one for awhile.

Ore. governor bans death penalty for rest of term - Yahoo! News

I support the Death penalty and feel it is appropriate and I understand the frustration of the voters in Oregon that agree with it.

However, I ALSO understand the obvious feelings of this Governor. He has a moral obligation to himself and his State to do what he thinks is right. And I believe him when he says he is doing just that.

He is a politician and accepts that his beliefs may effect his electability but he acted on them anyway. His beliefs may be different then mine but I respect him for stating them and for acting on them.

He has a moral obligation to usurp powers that rightfully belong to the state legislature and the voters? How does THAT work?

Seems to me that his moral obligation was not to accept the office and take the oath of office to uphold the laws of his state if he did not think he could uphold ALL of them in good conscience.

Doctors of all people should be able to understand the concept of letting some people die in order to save many others. Think of it as social triage.

The death penalty is an archaic punishment going back to an eye for an eye retribution. The majority of the world has moved past it....time for us to do likewise

The death penalty is an archaic punishment going back to an eye for an eye retribution. The majority of the world has moved past it....time for us to do likewise

Then do it legally, instead of trying to do an end-run around the laws and the electorate by getting into office and simply mandating your personal "morality" onto everyone else.

I'm sick to death of the left's "My good intentions and superior morality trumps little things like the law and the democratic system" attitude. Whatever it is you assholes THINK is the "right, moral" thing to do doesn't mean shit if you can't convince a majority of voters to agree with you. Being elected governor - or President - is not the same as becoming king or dictator, and it's past time people figure that out.

Then do it legally, instead of trying to do an end-run around the laws and the electorate by getting into office and simply mandating your personal "morality" onto everyone else.

I'm sick to death of the left's "My good intentions and superior morality trumps little things like the law and the democratic system" attitude. Whatever it is you assholes THINK is the "right, moral" thing to do doesn't mean shit if you can't convince a majority of voters to agree with you. Being elected governor - or President - is not the same as becoming king or dictator, and it's past time people figure that out.

Easy...vote him out

We're releasing a cannibal that ate his four year old victim. Chew on that one for awhile.

Ewwww. I hope that was an unintended pun.

No. Not at all. This is the left in action.

The bad guy is the child's father who said he would track the killer down and deal with it himself.

Dad: I'll kill my son's murderer if he's released - US news - Crime & courts - msnbc.com

Wonder if they'd give me that guy's address so I can offer to help.

And anyone here who'd like to react in horror at that remark is cordially invited to go screw themselves sideways. My little guy is just about to turn three, and I can assure you with no hyperbole whatsoever that anyone who was to hurt him should pray to God that he's caught and locked up forever to keep him safe from me.

Easy...vote him out

Yes, we wouldn't want to have any expectation of elected officials actually caring about doing their jobs correctly and legally. They should do whatever they think they can get away with, and it's all on the voters whether they then vote his ass out after he circumvents the law for X number of years.

Figures "Get away with whatever you can" would be the prevailing attitude among leftist dinks.

Easy...vote him out

Yes, we wouldn't want to have any expectation of elected officials actually caring about doing their jobs correctly and legally. They should do whatever they think they can get away with, and it's all on the voters whether they then vote his ass out after he circumvents the law for X number of years.

Figures "Get away with whatever you can" would be the prevailing attitude among leftist dinks.

Then let's just see what Oregon voters have to say. They tend to be a little liberal out there.....I doubt they will make much of a fuss

Easy...vote him out

Obviously this Governor has the legal ability to stop the executions by his order. And I agree, if the voters are upset with his decision then vote him out at the next election.

Forum List

Back