Opting in/out of @Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Howey is the last person on this board I want a @ from. Please cease fire, Howey, save your @ for your gay threads.

You wrote something. I responded. I did not "call" you out. You were upset that I responded to you about anything, told me I was sucking up all the oxygen. I made it very clear to you right then and there that I can respond to anyone I want to at any time on any open thread. People do it all the time here. And I will continue to do that at my leisure. I don't need your permission to quote anything you write, irregardless whether the text is aimed at me - or someone else.

You then did mention my name and I then did respond again. The chronology is clear for all to see.

If your beef with my is that the original quote I made of you is of a text that you didn't intend directly for me, well then, you are going to have to live with that, because people jump into conversations all the time here in USMB and quote people in the middle of a conversation. What I did is no different than what other members do here every day.

So, I don't need to provide a link. The chronology of this little exchange is right here on this thread for all to see.

-Stat

Yup, it's right there for all to see. You personalized a post to someone who wasn't talking to you or about you. Then acted like your excuse for getting so personal was that that person mentioned your name when they did not, not until after you jumped in a personal manner into a constructive conversation she was having with someone else.

You are totally free to be an ass. And totally free to undermine your claims about caring about community.

It is what it is.

Now I promise Boop that I won't post in this thread anymore so I don't distract her from her writing. :D

Have a great weekend, everybody!

Amelia, you responded to Stat and he wasn't talking to you....so how does that work?

That's a very good point Mertex. The issue is between Boop and Stat and has to do with responding to a person who wasn't talking to them with a personal comment.

Yet here Amelia is responding to a comment by Stat with a personal comment directed at him when we wasn't talking to her.

Hmmmm....................................the games people play.

After reading almost all the posts on this thread it appears that those that don't want to receive @mentions, actually like them if used the way they prescribe....

You either like them or you don't, this isn't Burger King, you can't have it your way.

If you don't want @mentions, tell the person that you don't want to receive them from, not to send them to you, but don't try to specify in which case you do like them....that's bullshit and we shouldn't have to remember who likes it with a pink ribbon and who likes it with a dash of salt.

Okay.

You accused me of having a problem with you. I was actually referencing Wake. There was no reason for you to clutch your pearls because, as stated - I wasn't talking to you.

Nor was I talking about you.

But thanks for speaking to me!! It was totally unexpected.

:thanks:

Wait a minute, bdboop: you responded to something I wrote, you even wrote my name.

So, I responded back, which is, well, a pretty normal behavior, imo. I made no accusation of you having a problem with me in any way on this thread at all. I said on this thread that you told me a long time ago that you didn't like the @ function, so I dropped you from the list, per your request. That doesn't mean I thought you had a problem with me.

As for speaking to you, dialogue should always be possible.

-Stat

As stated. I did not mention you until you mentioned me. You have proof of something different, then link it.

Well, but of course, boop, I was referring to your response to me, in which you mentioned my name with

Here, I will give you the specific entry:

J, you're probably in the majority. It's just that those of us who don't like it, REALLY don't like it.

Yes, bdboop, your message is coming over loud and clear. You told me months ago that you did not like the @ function and I dropped your name from the list immediately, per your request.

Stat? Stop sucking all the oxygen out of the room. I was talking to Jere.

That should be obvious to every adult in the room. By the time it got to the posting to which you refer, the original quote was long in the distance. You do realize that, right? I should not have to say, "Oh, by the way, I am specifically referring to so and so post" - the flow of quotes should be clue enough to an adult member of USMB.

However, I never once said that you mentioned me first, boop. Never once. You are creating a forest fire where not even a match was lit.

What a shame.

Last edited:
Well, If I'm going to have to remember who wants in and out with mentions and now who can talk to who based on who is responding to who, then I might as well quit USMB now because I'll never remember all that.

:lol:

rant2-1.gif
smiliegah.gif

You wrote something. I responded. I did not "call" you out. You were upset that I responded to you about anything, told me I was sucking up all the oxygen. I made it very clear to you right then and there that I can respond to anyone I want to at any time on any open thread. People do it all the time here. And I will continue to do that at my leisure. I don't need your permission to quote anything you write, irregardless whether the text is aimed at me - or someone else.

You then did mention my name and I then did respond again. The chronology is clear for all to see.

If your beef with my is that the original quote I made of you is of a text that you didn't intend directly for me, well then, you are going to have to live with that, because people jump into conversations all the time here in USMB and quote people in the middle of a conversation. What I did is no different than what other members do here every day.

So, I don't need to provide a link. The chronology of this little exchange is right here on this thread for all to see.

-Stat

Yup, it's right there for all to see. You personalized a post to someone who wasn't talking to you or about you. Then acted like your excuse for getting so personal was that that person mentioned your name when they did not, not until after you jumped in a personal manner into a constructive conversation she was having with someone else.

You are totally free to be an ass. And totally free to undermine your claims about caring about community.

It is what it is.

Now I promise Boop that I won't post in this thread anymore so I don't distract her from her writing. :D

Have a great weekend, everybody!

Amelia, you responded to Stat and he wasn't talking to you....so how does that work?

Oh, no. I responded to you about amelia and I'm laughing...

:eek:

I have mixed emotion about all this. I do HATE being included in a giant cattle call to some thread that I might or might not be interested in, and then being subjected to the multi-mentions as people respond.

The @mention does have some features I like. For instance, if I quote or refer to somebody in another thread for whatever reason, I feel it is only fair to notify that person I quoted them or have taken their name in vain or whatever. And sometimes you are having a discussion with somebody that prompts a new thread, and the @mention is useful to notify that person that the discussion is being continued HERE. But these are extremely infrequent occurrences.

The main problem is that I'm getting older with somewhat limited time and it is a real pain in the butt to have to keep lists of "do this" or "don't do that" for a whole bunch of different members and I won't always remember otherwise. Is there an exemption on the resentment meter for those of us of a certain age? :)

I'll remember that, Foxfyre!!!

:D

I won't.

But, I do agree with the pink statement.

I don't understand why people can't just ignore/scroll past what they're not interested in. I never even see most of the threads here and of those I do see, I click on only a small percentage.

How many of you look at every single thread? Or see every time someone types your name?

Its a message board. I think some are taking it all just a bit too seriously.

Well, If I'm going to have to remember who wants in and out with mentions and now who can talk to who based on who is responding to who, then I might as well quit USMB now because I'll never remember all that.

I'm not even gonna try.

Must be time for a new sub-forum where people could list their demands. We could even call it The Mommy He Touched Me forum.

That's my dilemma Wolfsister. I either have to keep copious lists which sooner or later I will misplace and be unable to find when I need them, or I just have to treat everybody the same and accept their contempt because I treat them like everybody else. :) I hate the cattle calls, but I'm not going to unfriend or ignore somebody who uses them and includes me now and then. I might bitch about it a bit.

Or, I'll just have to spend time on boards that don't have the @mention feature or other stuff that seems to be important to folks, and I am not yet inclined to do that.

I'm not even gonna try.

Must be time for a new sub-forum where people could list their demands. We could even call it The Mommy He Touched Me forum.

It remind me of my kids when they were little. "Mom!!! She's looking out of my window!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back