Opting in/out of @Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
images

Just in case.

Because mass mentions come to me for reasons other than the person likes me and knows I'd be interested in their posts.

That's why.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you could read minds. My bad.

I'm very perceptive.

Perceptions can be misleading....unless you perceive them by the way you think of them, in which case, you may be drawing wrong conclusions. If that makes you happy, who can argue with you.

So, how is it different than the individual one? You only get one notification in either one.

Because mass mentions come to me for reasons other than the person likes me and knows I'd be interested in their posts.

That's why.

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realize you could read minds. My bad.

Well, I sometimes write a long @ mention list - they are all people I like or people from whom I would really like to hear input about the content of the OP. For instance, CrusaderFrank is a member with whom I rarely agree on anything, but he has written a couple of things that I frankly find amazing and I told him so to, because what he wrote made me think in a new way. So, if it's a topic where I think he could give a new insight, I put him on the list.

If someone doesn't come by, I don't care, that's their thing, but am always thankful when someone writes something that makes me think in a new way. I do it this way because it's too time-prohibitive to send out an individual PM to each person- and sometimes the threads I put out are in the less visited parts of USMB, like the elections section.

For me, a @ list is a courtesy, nothing more and nothing less.

But some people here are trying to turn it into something else and accuse members of having other intentions for doing what they do. I find that line of thinking to be very distasteful and disingenuous.

Based on the responses, you can't really deduct that the majority don't like @mentions, especially when some of the ones claiming they don't like them are using them, themselves, often.

The truth is, some of the ones complaining want everyone else to acquiesce to their demands, which is rather immature and arrogant. If you don't like mentions be sure and tell the people that are sending them to you, not to do so, and for pete's sake, don't use them yourself, that is hypocritical. Because you may think that the way you use them is okay, but it may not be at all, it is just that the people receiving them don't want to make a mountain out of a molehill and tell you not to send them.

Howey, by quoting that, you just sent a mention out to that entire group again when Derido specifically asked folks to take that list out when quoting.

Another thing that might work is deleting the list from your OP after you post it so the mentions go out and then taking it out after that. Not sure, but that might work for folks.

Multiple mentions for the same thing is actually annoying.

:thup:

I just went back and edited them out!

Thanks for thinking of that!

:smiliehug:

Back to this thread to clarify:

I don't mind the mention IF it is not a mass mention thing. Someone posts a pic and wants me to see it..then they can use it in the post itself. Kinda like what I do in the Avi thread when I want to call attention to someone in particular..like...a personal HEY YOU to a buddy. But mass mentions..I don't want any part of. It's irritating. I think I did it once...maybe twice..since I have been here (mass mentions). It will never happen again.

Howey, by quoting that, you just sent a mention out to that entire group again when Derido specifically asked folks to take that list out when quoting.

Another thing that might work is deleting the list from your OP after you post it so the mentions go out and then taking it out after that. Not sure, but that might work for folks.

Thanks, dear. I felt like the polar bear in your sig after reading about my mea culpa. btw...I heart your sig!

Thanks, dear. I felt like the polar bear in your sig after reading about my mea culpa. btw...I heart your sig!

You are welcome.

The polar bear is a hyperlink to another thread. Just click on it and it will take you there. All of the images are hyperlinks to various threads in the Lounge area. Who knows, you might even like some of them. :D

I have no issue with the mentions. as I have the time I will check out the links. if you are not interested you can always just ignore it. So I don't really see what the harm in them is.

Didn't read past the above quoted post, and I agree. Because I use the v1 skin, I don't receive notifications that I've been mentioned. I have to go to my profile and see if there are any...easy to forget to check and/or ignore. I don't sweat the small stuff.:)

You are welcome.

The polar bear is a hyperlink to another thread. Just click on it and it will take you there. All of the images are hyperlinks to various threads in the Lounge area. Who knows, you might even like some of them. :D

Is it about LOST? My last great obsession?

You are welcome.

Is it about LOST? My last great obsession?

:lol: I have no idea!

I have no issue with the mentions. as I have the time I will check out the links. if you are not interested you can always just ignore it. So I don't really see what the harm in them is.

Didn't read past the above quoted post, and I agree. Because I use the v1 skin, I don't receive notifications that I've been mentioned. I have to go to my profile and see if there are any...easy to forget to check and/or ignore. I don't sweat the small stuff.:)

The problem is if you check your PMs or rep notifications first before you check your mentions, when you go back the link to the mentions has disappeared. And those are so far down on the list you are unlikely to see them unless you specifically go looking for them. And I don't have a clue how to get those back once the link disappears.

The problem is if you check your PMs or rep notifications first before you check your mentions, when you go back the link to the mentions has disappeared. And those are so far down on the list you are unlikely to see them unless you specifically go looking for them. And I don't have a clue how to get those back once the link disappears.

Click on your user name - then see what I've attached? Far right: Mentions. That's where to find them.

Attachments

• $mentions.jpg
    $mentions.jpg
    12.1 KB · Views: 78
Please mention me! I am so bad at rep whoring (see above right) that a minor bit of being an attention ho is all I can muster.

Please add me to all mentions pretty please with sugar on top.

TIA!

Regards from Rosie

Again, I don't get notifications for mentions in my inbox. I have to go to User CP and then view profile. Above where I can view visitor messages, I have the same tabs as BDB, except no infraction tab...I'm going to have to try harder to be bad.:D

Again, I don't get notifications for mentions in my inbox. I have to go to User CP and then view profile. Above where I can view visitor messages, I have the same tabs as BDB, except no infraction tab...I'm going to have to try harder to be bad.:D

Mine's empty!!!!

/sulk

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back