Opting in/out of @Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay.

You accused me of having a problem with you. I was actually referencing Wake. There was no reason for you to clutch your pearls because, as stated - I wasn't talking to you.

Nor was I talking about you.

But thanks for speaking to me!! It was totally unexpected.

:thanks:

Wait a minute, bdboop: you responded to something I wrote, you even wrote my name.

So, I responded back, which is, well, a pretty normal behavior, imo. I made no accusation of you having a problem with me in any way on this thread at all. I said on this thread that you told me a long time ago that you didn't like the @ function, so I dropped you from the list, per your request. That doesn't mean I thought you had a problem with me.

As for speaking to you, dialogue should always be possible.

-Stat

No. I did not mention your name until you interjected yourself.

My response, the one which you just quoted, was of course after you did use my name -"Stats?" - hmmm... you do realize that, right? Or do you wish to relitigate my first response to you all over again? That would be pretty circular, don't you think?

It is an open board. People can "interject" themselves where they want to. They can also quote other people in the middle of a conversation if they want to. I see it as adult behavior. Far better to quote someone and make a point than to just talk to the air and make people wonder to whom one is referring.

I prefer the more direct approach. And I thought you did, too.

Where in this post -- the one to which you responded -- do you see your name?

I already responded to boop that if I see something I want to respond to, on an open thread on an open board, then I can do that, just like anyone else here. You don't decide whom I respond to. If people want it to be a two person conversation, then an open thread on an open forum is probably not the place to do it.

You are correct. I don't get to decide. I am not trying to decide. I am pointing out that you made a personalized post at her and then tried to excuse it on the grounds that she posted to you. Which she did not.

The end. You are free to lie. You are free to personalize. You are free to undermine your claims about caring about community. You are free to show what a narcissist you are by claiming that people wrote your name when they did not.

I kind of like it when you do that. :thup:

Yeah, I'm fine with him doing that. It's a pretty straight-forward thread, everybody can see what happened.

Time to go write a book. :) :thup:

For the record, I do NOT want to be on any cattle call mass mention lists.

I am perfectly capable of finding threads on my own. I don't need any "Hey, look at what I can do" bullshit to find them.

Where in this post -- the one to which you responded -- do you see your name?

I already responded to boop that if I see something I want to respond to, on an open thread on an open board, then I can do that, just like anyone else here. You don't decide whom I respond to. If people want it to be a two person conversation, then an open thread on an open forum is probably not the place to do it.

You are correct. I don't get to decide. I am not trying to decide. I am pointing out that you made a personalized post at her and then tried to excuse it on the grounds that she posted to you. Which she did not.

The end. You are free to lie. You are free to personalize. You are free to undermine your claims about caring about community. You are free to show what a narcissist you are by claiming that people wrote your name when they did not.

I kind of like it when you do that. :thup:

You are missing the chronology of it again, but then again, I suspect that you want to miss it as well. It's all on the thead for people to see, I don't feel like requoting it again.

Wait a minute, bdboop: you responded to something I wrote, you even wrote my name.

So, I responded back, which is, well, a pretty normal behavior, imo. I made no accusation of you having a problem with me in any way on this thread at all. I said on this thread that you told me a long time ago that you didn't like the @ function, so I dropped you from the list, per your request. That doesn't mean I thought you had a problem with me.

As for speaking to you, dialogue should always be possible.

-Stat

My response, the one which you just quoted, was of course after you did use my name -"Stats?" - hmmm... you do realize that, right? Or do you wish to relitigate my first response to you all over again? That would be pretty circular, don't you think?

It is an open board. People can "interject" themselves where they want to. They can also quote other people in the middle of a conversation if they want to. I see it as adult behavior. Far better to quote someone and make a point than to just talk to the air and make people wonder to whom one is referring.

Link please. The ONLY time I mentioned your name was when you called me out.

Go for it.

Gonna be a long wait for that link, Boop.

That's okay. This book isn't going to write itself.

I suppose an apology when he realizes he was wrong and everybody can see it would be too much to ask?

Yeah. Those apologies are never any good anyway. Who wants an apology that isn't heartfelt?

I have no issue with the mentions. as I have the time I will check out the links. if you are not interested you can always just ignore it. So I don't really see what the harm in them is.

I prefer not to be Mentioned also and have stated so several times and most posters have remembered and obliged. ***<3 them***

oops. Guilty. But now I know so it won't happen again. Sorry hon.:smiliehug:

The @Mention is a useful feature but I gather that not everyone likes it. I copied a bunch of them from one thread to another when I wanted to invite people to one of my frivolous fun threads. That was when I discovered that some posters prefer not to be included. While they have been polite it is obviously annoying if they prefer not to receive them at all.

The problem is keeping track of who doesn't want to be included. So I was wondering if there was a way to provide an "opt in/out" check box for the @Mention function?

Is this feasible and how does everyone else feel about this?

Since I am using the spoiler feature to invite people to this thread please don't quote the OP or else delete the spoiler. Thank you.

@9thIDdoc , [MENTION=39530]AceRothstein[/MENTION] , [MENTION=45334]adamberns[/MENTION] , [MENTION=45693]American4Americ[/MENTION] , [MENTION=40495]AngelsNDemons[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=39464]antiquity[/MENTION] , [MENTION=35553]aris2chat[/MENTION] , [MENTION=9429]AVG-JOE[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=24076]Avorysuds[/MENTION] , [MENTION=18990]Barb[/MENTION] , [MENTION=31258]BDBoop[/MENTION] , [MENTION=34109]beagle9[/MENTION] , [MENTION=47248]bedowin62[/MENTION] , [MENTION=24619]Bill Angel[/MENTION] , [MENTION=44336]birddog[/MENTION] , [MENTION=36422]blackhawk[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=21616]blastoff[/MENTION] , [MENTION=25197]BlindBoo[/MENTION] , [MENTION=44536]BobPlumb[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46834]Bombur[/MENTION] , [MENTION=33449]BreezeWood[/MENTION] , [MENTION=29100]bripat9643[/MENTION] , [MENTION=44706]Bumberclyde[/MENTION] , [MENTION=44680]Camp[/MENTION] , [MENTION=14617]Cecilie1200[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22617]chikenwing[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46975]Circle_Breaker[/MENTION] , [MENTION=21503]Claudette[/MENTION] , [MENTION=25032]ClosedCaption[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=12120]Coloradomtnman[/MENTION] , [MENTION=19448]CrusaderFrank[/MENTION] , [MENTION=29614]C_Clayton_Jones[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46316]dannyboys[/MENTION] , [MENTION=30065]dblack[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22981]Defiant1[/MENTION] , [MENTION=39553]depotoo[/MENTION] , [MENTION=36589]DGS49[/MENTION] , [MENTION=11393]DiamondDave[/MENTION] , [MENTION=45679]Diana1180[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42777]DigitalDrifter[/MENTION] , [MENTION=32913]Disir[/MENTION] , [MENTION=20866]Dutch[/MENTION] , [MENTION=30139]eflatminor[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22295]emilynghiem[/MENTION] , [MENTION=35662]Erand7899[/MENTION] , [MENTION=40418]farmorto4[/MENTION] , [MENTION=30473]flacaltenn[/MENTION] , [MENTION=20411]ForeverYoung436[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=34052]g5000[/MENTION] , [MENTION=31362]gallantwarrior[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42952]GISMYS[/MENTION] , [MENTION=27168]HereWeGoAgain[/MENTION] , [MENTION=4791]hjmick[/MENTION] , [MENTION=18867]HUGGY[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42934]hunarcy[/MENTION] , [MENTION=24610]iamwhatiseem[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46539]Iceweasel[/MENTION] , [MENTION=45443]Impenitent[/MENTION] , [MENTION=38243]irosie91[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22181]Jarhead[/MENTION] , [MENTION=32813]JimBowie1958[/MENTION] , [MENTION=24535]jknowgood[/MENTION] , [MENTION=33658]Katzndogz[/MENTION] , [MENTION=45702]kjw47[/MENTION] , [MENTION=20204]Kondor3[/MENTION] , [MENTION=47727]korean[/MENTION] , [MENTION=33282]LeftofLeft[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46773]Len[/MENTION] , [MENTION=32163]Listening[/MENTION] , [MENTION=3254]Little-Acorn[/MENTION] , [MENTION=19381]Lonestar_logic[/MENTION] , [MENTION=39846]longknife[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=46604]longly[/MENTION] , [MENTION=7538]LordBrownTrout[/MENTION] , [MENTION=44252]MACAULAY[/MENTION] , [MENTION=23094]martybegan[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22889]Matthew[/MENTION] , [MENTION=23819]MikeK[/MENTION] , [MENTION=45791]Mojo2[/MENTION] , [MENTION=22217]Mustang[/MENTION] , [MENTION=27234]natstew[/MENTION] , [MENTION=33974]NLT[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=16263]nodoginnafight[/MENTION] , [MENTION=31215]Oldstyle[/MENTION] , [MENTION=1996]onedomino[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42380]OriginalShroom[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=23262]peach174[/MENTION] , [MENTION=34176]plant[/MENTION] , [MENTION=12394]PoliticalChic[/MENTION] , [MENTION=39618]proudveteran06[/MENTION] , [MENTION=23420]Quantum Windbag[/MENTION] , [MENTION=27986]R.D.[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42379]Redfish[/MENTION] , [MENTION=11710]Richard-H[/MENTION] , [MENTION=25033]RoccoR[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=46474]Ronin[/MENTION] , [MENTION=26838]Ropey[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=39688]RosieS[/MENTION] , [MENTION=36154]Roudy[/MENTION] , [MENTION=37424]Rshermr[/MENTION] , [MENTION=25283]Sallow[/MENTION] , [MENTION=36253]Sally[/MENTION] , [MENTION=35716]SAYIT[/MENTION] , [MENTION=39075]Shaitra[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46796]shart_attack[/MENTION] , @@ShootSpeeders , [MENTION=44514]Silhouette[/MENTION] , [MENTION=24208]Spoonman[/MENTION] , [MENTION=20452]theDoctorisIn[/MENTION] , [MENTION=36327]TheGreatGatsby[/MENTION] , [MENTION=39852]TheOldSchool[/MENTION] , [MENTION=46391]Theowl32[/MENTION] , [MENTION=2926]Toro[/MENTION] , [MENTION=23905]Trajan[/MENTION] , [MENTION=27995]Uncensored2008[/MENTION] , [MENTION=42404]Vandalshandle[/MENTION] , [MENTION=20296]VaYank5150[/MENTION] [MENTION=45104]WelfareQueen[/MENTION] , [MENTION=27324]whitehall[/MENTION] + , [MENTION=21679]william the wie[/MENTION] , [MENTION=14367]YWN666[/MENTION]
, [MENTION=42916]Derideo_Te[/MENTION] , [MENTION=41527]Pogo[/MENTION] , [MENTION=3135]jillian[/MENTION] , [MENTION=43625]Mertex[/MENTION] [MENTION=20412]JakeStarkey[/MENTION] [MENTION=20112]bodecea[/MENTION] [MENTION=20704]Nosmo King[/MENTION] [MENTION=25505]Jroc[/MENTION] [MENTION=44172]Sweet_Caroline[/MENTION] @NTG [MENTION=40845]Jeremiah[/MENTION] [MENTION=18645]Sarah G[/MENTION] [MENTION=11703]strollingbones[/MENTION] [MENTION=38281]Wolfsister77[/MENTION] [MENTION=42649]Gracie[/MENTION] [MENTION=36528]cereal_killer[/MENTION] [MENTION=20285]Intense[/MENTION] [MENTION=40540]Connery[/MENTION] [MENTION=19170]Coyote[/MENTION] [MENTION=23239]westwall[/MENTION] [MENTION=20285]Intense[/MENTION] [MENTION=6847]Foxfyre[/MENTION] [MENTION=36767]Bloodrock44[/MENTION] [MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION] [MENTION=36154]Roudy[/MENTION] [MENTION=31178]MeBelle60[/MENTION] [MENTION=21954]Sunshine[/MENTION] [MENTION=28109]Amelia[/MENTION] [MENTION=18755]mal[/MENTION] [MENTION=33974]NLT[/MENTION] [MENTION=45164]pacer[/MENTION] [MENTION=23424]syrenn[/MENTION] [MENTION=18905]Sherry[/MENTION] [MENTION=19734]Lumpy 1[/MENTION] [MENTION=1322]007[/MENTION] @daws [MENTION=46168]Statistikhengst[/MENTION] [MENTION=42498]Esmeralda[/MENTION] [MENTION=43888]AyeCantSeeYou[/MENTION] [MENTION=15726]Hossfly[/MENTION] [MENTION=26153]High_Gravity[/MENTION] [MENTION=21357]SFC Ollie[/MENTION] [MENTION=44124]Wake[/MENTION]
[/QUOTE]

I like the feature. It lets dimwit whiners like [MENTION=1528]Yurt[/MENTION] know we're laughing at him.

Howey, by quoting that, you just sent a mention out to that entire group again when Derido specifically asked folks to take that list out when quoting.

Another thing that might work is deleting the list from your OP after you post it so the mentions go out and then taking it out after that. Not sure, but that might work for folks.

Multiple mentions for the same thing is actually annoying.

Go for it.

You wrote something. I responded. I did not "call" you out. You were upset that I responded to you about anything, told me I was sucking up all the oxygen. I made it very clear to you right then and there that I can respond to anyone I want to at any time on any open thread. People do it all the time here. And I will continue to do that at my leisure. I don't need your permission to quote anything you write, irregardless whether the text is aimed at me - or someone else.

You then did mention my name and I then did respond again. The chronology is clear for all to see.

If your beef with my is that the original quote I made of you is of a text that you didn't intend directly for me, well then, you are going to have to live with that, because people jump into conversations all the time here in USMB and quote people in the middle of a conversation. What I did is no different than what other members do here every day.

So, I don't need to provide a link. The chronology of this little exchange is right here on this thread for all to see.

-Stat

Howey, you were specifically told to NOT quote because everyone would get mentioned again. So what did you do? You did exactly that. So now I get ANOTHER mention in my inbox. Did you do that on purpose? If so..gee. Thanks. Not.

Has anyone ever said that or is that what you think they are thinking? I honestly don't think they (those that use the mention function) even realize who didn't respond to the mention but most certainly focus on those that do.

Good point, I have never gotten the impression from either Wake or Stat, that they think anyone is stupid for not coming. Maybe someone else does that but they don't. I'm not understanding the hostility here.

I believe it is more of a personal dislike for the person that is using the function more than anything else, and instead of handling it like adults, some take it as a personal attack. It isn't against the rules to use it, and there are methods to restrict it, if it so bothers a person, so anyone making a federal case over it is just displaying their own idiosyncrasies.

I agree.

Gonna be a long wait for that link, Boop.

That's okay. This book isn't going to write itself.

I suppose an apology when he realizes he was wrong and everybody can see it would be too much to ask?

Yeah. Those apologies are never any good anyway. Who wants an apology that isn't heartfelt?

Apogize? For having quoted you and spoken to you?

For having ignored the nastiness in your tone?

No way.

The whole world can see how snarky your responses have been.

So, pfft.

Go for it.

You wrote something. I responded. I did not "call" you out. You were upset that I responded to you about anything, told me I was sucking up all the oxygen. I made it very clear to you right then and there that I can respond to anyone I want to at any time on any open thread. People do it all the time here. And I will continue to do that at my leisure. I don't need your permission to quote anything you write, irregardless whether the text is aimed at me - or someone else.

You then did mention my name and I then did respond again. The chronology is clear for all to see.

If your beef with my is that the original quote I made of you is of a text that you didn't intend directly for me, well then, you are going to have to live with that, because people jump into conversations all the time here in USMB and quote people in the middle of a conversation. What I did is no different than what other members do here every day.

So, I don't need to provide a link. The chronology of this little exchange is right here on this thread for all to see.

-Stat

Yup, it's right there for all to see. You personalized a post to someone who wasn't talking to you or about you. Then acted like your excuse for getting so personal was that that person mentioned your name when they did not, not until after you jumped in a personal manner into a constructive conversation she was having with someone else.

You are totally free to be an ass. And totally free to undermine your claims about caring about community.

It is what it is.

Now I promise Boop that I won't post in this thread anymore so I don't distract her from her writing. :D

Have a great weekend, everybody!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back