Opting in/out of @Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no issue with the mentions. as I have the time I will check out the links. if you are not interested you can always just ignore it. So I don't really see what the harm in them is.

Didn't read past the above quoted post, and I agree. Because I use the v1 skin, I don't receive notifications that I've been mentioned. I have to go to my profile and see if there are any...easy to forget to check and/or ignore. I don't sweat the small stuff.:)

I don't either, that's the way it comes up for me but I'm not sure what the ""v1 skin" is, or what it would be if it wasn't. :dunno:

I check those mention things about as often as the seasons change. Almost always I find that the mention either (a) points to something I've already read anyway, or (b) points to something I'm not really interested in.

I have no issue with the mentions. as I have the time I will check out the links. if you are not interested you can always just ignore it. So I don't really see what the harm in them is.

Didn't read past the above quoted post, and I agree. Because I use the v1 skin, I don't receive notifications that I've been mentioned. I have to go to my profile and see if there are any...easy to forget to check and/or ignore. I don't sweat the small stuff.:)

The problem is if you check your PMs or rep notifications first before you check your mentions, when you go back the link to the mentions has disappeared. And those are so far down on the list you are unlikely to see them unless you specifically go looking for them. And I don't have a clue how to get those back once the link disappears.

That's odd....I usually check all my pms first, and then the mentions are no longer highlighted in the notification area, but it still shows the number and when I scroll down I see they are mentions. They don't disappear for me.

I don't either, that's the way it comes up for me but I'm not sure what the ""v1 skin" is, or what it would be if it wasn't. :dunno:

I check those mention things about as often as the seasons change. Almost always I find that the mention either (a) points to something I've already read anyway, or (b) points to something I'm not really interested in.

Scroll down to the bottom left and you can select from the drop down skins v1 or v2...I chose v1 because the colors are more relaxing to my eyes.

Okay, followed Boops suggestion and after some tweaking did find how to get to the mentions, but sheesh. I won't remember the next time it comes up and probably won't bother to go through all that. And yeah, I probably did misspeak about the mentions disappearing if you click on PMs and rep notifications first. But if you click on one of the mentions, then I don't see any of the others after that if there are more than one.

Okay, followed Boops suggestion and after some tweaking did find how to get to the mentions, but sheesh. I won't remember the next time it comes up and probably won't bother to go through all that. And yeah, I probably did misspeak about the mentions disappearing if you click on PMs and rep notifications first. But if you click on one of the mentions, then I don't see any of the others after that if there are more than one.

Yeah but do you like them? :D

Scroll down to the bottom left and you can select from the drop down skins v1 or v2...I chose v1 because the colors are more relaxing to my eyes.

Oh, OK. Might go check that out.
I'm not that interested really -- I just saw the word "skin" next to your name and came running.
swoon.gif

Yeah but do you like them? :D

If they refer me to something I wanted to see yes. Otherwise they are more of a nuisance, but not all that big a deal. :)

I click on something that says new mentions. I don't think I get a notification anywhere.

I don't mind the mention function. Most times they are interesting threads, but I have no interest in responding. Sometimes I am compelled to respond. If you are annoyed by mentions then clear them and shut up. There is no reason to take it so seriously.

I don't mind the mention function. Most times they are interesting threads, but I have no interest in responding. Sometimes I am compelled to respond. If you are annoyed by mentions then clear them and shut up. There is no reason to take it so seriously.

it is when you have shitpiles of them.

The @Mention is a useful feature but I gather that not everyone likes it. I copied a bunch of them from one thread to another when I wanted to invite people to one of my frivolous fun threads. That was when I discovered that some posters prefer not to be included. While they have been polite it is obviously annoying if they prefer not to receive them at all.

The problem is keeping track of who doesn't want to be included. So I was wondering if there was a way to provide an "opt in/out" check box for the @Mention function?

Is this feasible and how does everyone else feel about this?

Since I am using the spoiler feature to invite people to this thread please don't quote the OP or else delete the spoiler. Thank you.

Deleted all @Mentions following the excellent idea provided by WolfSister77. :)

Please stop "including" me when you do this.

The @Mention is a useful feature but I gather that not everyone likes it. I copied a bunch of them from one thread to another when I wanted to invite people to one of my frivolous fun threads. That was when I discovered that some posters prefer not to be included. While they have been polite it is obviously annoying if they prefer not to receive them at all.

The problem is keeping track of who doesn't want to be included. So I was wondering if there was a way to provide an "opt in/out" check box for the @Mention function?

Is this feasible and how does everyone else feel about this?

Since I am using the spoiler feature to invite people to this thread please don't quote the OP or else delete the spoiler. Thank you.

Deleted all @Mentions following the excellent idea provided by WolfSister77. :)

Please stop "including" me when you do this.

Yet, if Deri had not have edited his post in the OP, you would have "included" everyone AGAIN by quoting him and NOT deleting the spoiler as he asked.

See how that goes?

No option to do so. My thinking is that people shouldn't mass mention their friends unless they want to piss a lot of them off :)

One way @ mentions can be 'opted out' of is when the US v1 forum skin is used.

Quantum Windbag, Noomi and I played around with it when mentions first came out in a feedback thread... :dunno:

Edit: Bahhhh...posted before I read the thread.

Last edited:
When it comes down to it- nobody was ever on their death bed wishing they had eaten "LESS" bacon......EVER!!!

The reason why nobody on their deathbeds ever wishes they'd have eaten less bacon is because massive heart attacks caused by eating too much bacon never allow enough time to wish anything on your deathbeds!

As for this @ mention thing, I'm fine with it if it mentions me directly, or if someone has a particular issue in which they know I'd be interested.

But if it's neither, I view mass @ lists as spam. It's @spam.

I already see all the posts because I click on the New Posts link. If I'm interested in the thread, I'll click on the link. I don't need someone @spamming to tell me about it. I usually just ignore the thread when someone @spams me. But I could get irritated if I start receiving a lot of @spams.

Last edited:
As for this @ mention thing, I'm fine with it if it mentions me directly, or if someone has a particular issue they know I'd be interested.

But if it's neither, I view mass @ lists as spam. It's @spam.

I already see all the posts because I click on the New Posts link. If I'm interested in the thread, I'll click on the link. I don't need someone @spamming to tell me about it. I usually just ignore it when someone @spams me. But I could get irritated if I start receiving a lot of @spams.

Okay, I forgive your bacon crack. I'm sure you weren't thinking clearly at this time of day.

Thank you to everyone who has contributed. Having read through all the posts I am going to make a suggestion that I think might work.

I have started a USMB @Mention EXCLUDE/INCLUDE Preferences in the Lounge area.

The purpose is to give all of us a place to add our names to whichever @Mention list we prefer to be on. The lists will be as follows;

• Please EXCLUDE me from all MASS @Mentions!

• Please EXCLUDE me from all INDIVIDUAL @Mentions!

• Please INCLUDE me in all MASS @Mentions!

http://www.usmessageboard.com/9002202-post1.html

So this way we end up with a single combined list that everyone can refer to and update their own preferences as needed. I have entered names based upon what I gathered from the posts in this thread. If I have it wrong, my apologies.

Thank you all for your input. Have a nice Sunday.
DT

Also, if you you do not wish to be bothered by the @ feature - don't jump every time someone rings the bell.

Just ignore it, or check to see if It's worth your time.

I actually don't mind the mass @ - It's kind of a compliment, to be thought of like that.

Guess the call out @ is a compliment as well; If I bother some nincompoop enough for him to @ me and I don't come running - I win the INTERNETZ!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back