Opting in/out of @Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Seriously though, anyone who is upset about the "mention" function - should really take a break from the forum and get to a hospital right away... .

...ask the Hospital to remove the broom they have up their asses!

I don't mind being mentioned at all.

I am glad for the publicity — however good or bad it may be.

I just don't understand reputation points.

I give rep points to posters quite frequently, and they in turn send me messages, thanking me. But when my own reputation points increase, I can't figure out what poster increased them. So I never get the chance to thank them for bumping up my points, which likely effectively makes me look unappreciative and/ or cantankerous, neither of which are the case.

That was my problem early on. You can go to your CP and set it so that you'll be notified in your email. Look at the top of your screen and see CP. Click that.

Howey, by quoting that, you just sent a mention out to that entire group again when Derido specifically asked folks to take that list out when quoting.

Another thing that might work is deleting the list from your OP after you post it so the mentions go out and then taking it out after that. Not sure, but that might work for folks.

Multiple mentions for the same thing is actually annoying.

Oh. I thought she meant to close the spoiler.

Oops!

Seriously though, anyone who is upset about the "mention" function - should really take a break from the forum and get to a hospital right away... .

That mass mention feature sucks a lot. How's that, bacon man.

But dude, if it involves bacon? Hit me.

:eusa_whistle:

For sure!!

:D

Bless you. Because you know: Bacon is all that really matters. :thanks:

When it comes down to it- nobody was ever on their death bed wishing they had eaten "LESS" bacon......EVER!!!

PS- for the record I've only used the @mention function once or twice - always for a specific person to solicit a response to a specific thread- never as a "cattle call".....

:thup:

For sure!!

Bless you. Because you know: Bacon is all that really matters. :thanks:

When it comes down to it- nobody was ever on their death bed wishing they had eaten "LESS" bacon......EVER!!!

PS- for the record I've only used the @mention function once or twice - always for a specific person to solicit a response to a specific thread- never as a "cattle call".....

:thup:

Best movie scene EVAR!

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah, very funny

kevin-bacon-may-2012-gi.jpg

i've never heard that one before.....

Let's live and let live. In peace. :smiliehug:

I have no problem using mentions to have a good conversation with people. When you come to an online community, there's nothing wrong with inviting people to join you at the table and communicate. It strengthens understanding. By conveying our personal feelings and beliefs, we grow closer as a community, and we understand each other just a little bit better.

It's a function we can use. Some don't wish to be mentioned. If you let people know you don't want to be mentioned, preferably via PM, typically your request will be honored. That said, sometimes people forget. I'm the exact opposite of perfect, and have made a whole heck of a lot of mistakes throughout life. Like, say, going to the wrong client's house at the wrong time. :D I'm human. Sorry.

Let's not be ugly to one another over this, or try and use this thread as a reason to be mean. Using the mention function doesn't make you a bad person, like, at all. It's just not true. If someone mentions me, I don't automatically assume that they're arrogant, or out for rep, or any other conceivably bad thing I can come up with. It also doesn't mean that you think the people you're mentioning are stupid, either. I mean, what the hey? You just want to have a good time, because life is short, and why not spend life making connections with people while you can still function?

That's basically it in a nutshell. It's not wrong, or bad, or anything like it. But respect people when they ask you to not mention them, and have the tact and common human decency to convey your message in a mature way. There are so, so many other things in life to complain about over, of all things, being mentioned.

Maybe it's just my nature. I like making wonderful feasts—while I'm still young and coherent—and I like inviting people to come on over and eat with me while sharing each other's time. That's how my mother was, and her mother before her. The reason I shared this article was because it got me emotional, because it was wonderful, and I shared it with my Mom and little sis... and after that, well, I wanted to share it here, too, because it's nice having good news here and there rather than all the doom and gloom. I mean, we only live once, so why not stop enjoy the good things in life?

I love and care for people. I like sharing my life with theirs. I'm sorry.

Let's just live and let live, love one another as you love yourself, and follow the Golden Rule.

Last edited:

So, how is it different than the individual one? You only get one notification in either one.

So, how is it different than the individual one? You only get one notification in either one.

Because mass mentions come to me for reasons other than the person likes me and knows I'd be interested in their posts.

That's why.

I have mixed emotion about all this. I do HATE being included in a giant cattle call to some thread that I might or might not be interested in, and then being subjected to the multi-mentions as people respond.

The @mention does have some features I like. For instance, if I quote or refer to somebody in another thread for whatever reason, I feel it is only fair to notify that person I quoted them or have taken their name in vain or whatever. And sometimes you are having a discussion with somebody that prompts a new thread, and the @mention is useful to notify that person that the discussion is being continued HERE. But these are extremely infrequent occurrences.

The main problem is that I'm getting older with somewhat limited time and it is a real pain in the butt to have to keep lists of "do this" or "don't do that" for a whole bunch of different members and I won't always remember otherwise. Is there an exemption on the resentment meter for those of us of a certain age? :)

:lol:

I'll remember that, Foxfyre!!!

I won't.

But, I do agree with the pink statement.

I don't understand why people can't just ignore/scroll past what they're not interested in. I never even see most of the threads here and of those I do see, I click on only a small percentage.

How many of you look at every single thread? Or see every time someone types your name?

Its a message board. I think some are taking it all just a bit too seriously.

Word.

Good point!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back