Opting in/out of @Mentions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derideo_Te

Je Suis Charlie
Mar 2, 2013
The @Mention is a useful feature but I gather that not everyone likes it. I copied a bunch of them from one thread to another when I wanted to invite people to one of my frivolous fun threads. That was when I discovered that some posters prefer not to be included. While they have been polite it is obviously annoying if they prefer not to receive them at all.

The problem is keeping track of who doesn't want to be included. So I was wondering if there was a way to provide an "opt in/out" check box for the @Mention function?

Is this feasible and how does everyone else feel about this?

Since I am using the spoiler feature to invite people to this thread please don't quote the OP or else delete the spoiler. Thank you.

Deleted all @Mentions following the excellent idea provided by WolfSister77. :)

Last edited:
I don't get what it is, I thought it was someone trash talking you on another thread so I never went to the links. Maybe there should be a separate deal for it?

I don't know how to use the invisible invite because I forgot to ask Wake how he does it. I only did one @mentions invite and that was for @BD Boop Front Porch Lounge thread.

There does seem to be alot of mentions now that you mention it, Derideo! ( no pun intended )

I don't get what it is, I thought it was someone trash talking you on another thread so I never went to the links. Maybe there should be a separate deal for it?

When you get the mention it tells you who it is from and the name of the thread.

09:26 AM - Derideo_Te mentioned Iceweasel in post Opting in/out of @Mentions

So from that it is easy to figure out whether it is worth checking out or not.

I don't mind the "mention" thing but don't generally use it much. My problem is finding where they are after I leave the mention screen. For instance, someone invited me to join in a conversation the other day by using the "mention" function. I went to the thread they invited me to but didn't have time to participate in it at that moment. Later, I tried to find that thread but forgot what it was called. So I decided to go back to my "mention" list but couldn't find it. So ... I never did participate in the thread. :(

When you get the mention it tells you who it is from and the name of the thread.

09:26 AM - Derideo_Te mentioned Iceweasel in post Opting in/out of @Mentions

So from that it is easy to figure out whether it is worth checking out or not.
Well, that was my point, not that who it was from or where. I have no idea from that if you are praising my endless wit or making false allegations. I don't know the purpose and haven't been concerned enough to look for the answer. Seems like PMs would be the way to handle an invite.

I don't mind the "mention" thing but don't generally use it much. My problem is finding where they are after I leave the mention screen. For instance, someone invited me to join in a conversation the other day by using the "mention" function. I went to the thread they invited me to but didn't have time to participate in it at that moment. Later, I tried to find that thread but forgot what it was called. So I decided to go back to my "mention" list but couldn't find it. So ... I never did participate in the thread. :(

nav bar up top (red) click on Quick Links and it will bring down a drop down. Choose "Your Profile" and it will bring you to your profile where you can see the mention tab

The @Mention is a useful feature but I gather that not everyone likes it. I copied a bunch of them from one thread to another when I wanted to invite people to one of my frivolous fun threads. That was when I discovered that some posters prefer not to be included. While they have been polite it is obviously annoying if they prefer not to receive them at all.

The problem is keeping track of who doesn't want to be included. So I was wondering if there was a way to provide an "opt in/out" check box for the @Mention function?

Is this feasible and how does everyone else feel about this?

Since I am using the spoiler feature to invite people to this thread please don't quote the OP or else delete the spoiler. Thank you.

I don't like the mass mentions for the reason you already addressed. I don't want that thing quoted like a million times. I don't mind a mention here and there but please keep me off the mass mention lists.

Only a couple of people do it but it's annoying and an attempt at rep whoring, imo.

I have no issue with the mentions. as I have the time I will check out the links. if you are not interested you can always just ignore it. So I don't really see what the harm in them is.

I happen to like the @ function very much, for even though it often appears that I am on USMB a lot, in reality I am just still logged on and multi-tasking like crazy with my business at home or on the road and honestly, there is just not enough time to comb through all the threads that may be interesting.

Plus, my smartfon automatically logs into USMB in 6 hour intervals while I am underway and sends me a notification if there are any messages for me, and I believe I automatically stay logged on for about an hour afterwards, but in that case, it's just Tapatalk, nothing more.

My view of this is just the opposite of CK's - I think that the @ function is totally useful and I take it as a compliment when someone mentions me - and it takes me to a thread I may have otherwise missed. It saves me time.

Besides, if people don't like it, they don't really have to go to the thread because of the mention.

Now, to Deri's question: I have slowly asked people on USMB if they mind or not mind being mentioned and the ones who don't mind or like it as I do - they get mentioned. So, I do use a mention list, but it is constantly developing. Just today, I asked a member who responded to a new thread of mine whether he would like to be on a mention list and he said "yes, definitely". And anytime a member has changed his or her mind and doesn't want to be on the list, I have taken the name off immediately. But each person would need to organize such a list for himself the way he likes it.

I consider the @ function to be part of good communication here in USMB and hope to convince others of the same through the case I just laid out here.

:)

Edit: oh, hey, Deri, forgot to input about the checkbox thing - could be a cool idea. Wonder how much software re-write that would cost, but that could be interesting. Only, I bet that some members like to get a mention from some people, but not from others, which is also cool, but then they would just have to make a choice that could be uncomfortable for them. Really, getting a @ notification is not the end of the world at all. :lol:

Last edited:
I have no issue with the mentions. as I have the time I will check out the links. if you are not interested you can always just ignore it. So I don't really see what the harm in them is.

I prefer not to be Mentioned also and have stated so several times and most posters have remembered and obliged. ***<3 them***

I like the @ Mention function because it brings about a sense of togetherness. Community. It is extremely useful when you share an OP you spent a lot of time and effort on, when you don't want it to just get a smidgen of feedback and then fade away. There's nothing wrong with it imho, and it promotes forum activity, too. If someone doesn't like being mentioned, they can always ask to not be mentioned, and I'll honor that so long as I don't forget.

Many people like this function, and appreciate being invited to share in the conversation.

It's a social function for a social forum, and it's one of the best ways to come together and talk.

I like the @ Mention function because it brings about a sense of togetherness. Community. It is extremely useful when you share an OP you spent a lot of time and effort on, when you don't want it to just get a smidgen of feedback and then fade away. There's nothing wrong with it imho, and it promotes forum activity, too. If someone doesn't like being mentioned, they can always ask to not be mentioned, and I'll honor that so long as I don't forget.

Many people like this function, and appreciate being invited to share in the conversation.

It's a social function for a social forum, and it's one of the best ways to come together and talk.

Will you take me off of your mass mentions?

:eusa_clap:

Yeah, bullshit /she said politely

I don't like it, don't need it. That's what the 'new posts' and 'active threads' are links for. If I thought your thread was worth visiting, I would do so.

If your sense of "togetherness" goes part-n-parcel with people wishing you would knock it the hell off, then yeah. Togetherness it is.

Will you take me off of your mass mentions?

And me.

Yeah, bullshit /she said politely

I don't like it, don't need it. That's what the 'new posts' and 'active threads' are links for. If I thought your thread was worth visiting, I would do so.

If your sense of "togetherness" goes part-n-parcel with people wishing you would knock it the hell off, then yeah. Togetherness it is.

I seriously think that feature pisses people off more than anything. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back