Opening Day!

Tiger Stadium was a dump when I was a kid...it smelled like piss and ceegar smoke down in the tunnels in the 60's yet lasted another 40 years. But it was a classic alright and everybody from The Babe and Ty Cobb and Hank Greenberg to Teddy Ballgame (Ted Willams) to Mick and Al Kaline, and later Reggie and Harmon Killebrew sunk cleates into that dirt. They tried everything to save it but the foundation was crumbling after a hundred years and the support posts were beyond repair...Overhead pieces would fall off over the winter but still the diehards fought for it and were crushed when it was finally bulldozed. The field, at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull was just rescued and opened for local teams. The stadium itself is gone but they have the original flagpole which was in fair territory in deep center field. The Tigers won four championships there....nowhere near the Yankees gloried past but not bad for a blue-collar city with true-blue fans real close to the field. When we got on an enemy player he could expect to hear things about his mother, if he had skinny legs or a unibrow, or what kind of slump he was in, and if he was an outfielder could expect to have hot coins winged at him....I remember Roger Maris picking up a quarter once that had been made almost red hot with pliers and a cigarette lighter....he dropped it like a....uh, hot coin and was shaking his hand and swearing about his burnt fingers....of course we roared laughter and never let him forget it in later visits. It was said if a player got V.D. from a chippy, Tigers fans would hear about it and hound the guy mercilessly. What a place.

tiger10963.jpg

007-copy.jpg

i so much missed these glory days when the tigers had a stadium that was NOT a shithole.:mad::yes_text12::thankusmile:

such fond memories.

Alright that's enough out of you.....Comerica is a beautiful ballpark and now in it's 19 season aging quite well. It's modern, no obstructed view seating, corporate boxes to help finance the acquisition of talent, aware of the needs women have at a large facility in terms of concession lighting and restrooms.....etc etc. Tiger Stadium was a sewer when I was a kid and it couldn't be fixed....millions of dollars were spent trying to no avail. So if you want to trash Comerica, do it in somebody else's thread....I'm tired of it and you.

One simple rule change would help return the game to the one we remember: At all times there must be two infielders on each side of second base.

They used the shift on Ted Williams back in the 50's but he'd just hit the ball the other way so nobody thought it would ever become a sound strategy. And it wouldn't if hitters weren't all muscled up, trying to pull the ball out of the park. Hitting coaches are all teaching "lift angle" now....even to skinny 170 lb shortstops. And the game is allowing computer geeks to project tendencies which is where the shifts are coming from. Willy Mays used to say: "look to left, swing to center, and hit the ball to right field" when they stack the defense. I'd allow any kind of shift they want to make as long as the infielders are on the infield dirt, not the outfield grass when the pitch is thrown.

One simple rule change would help return the game to the one we remember: At all times there must be two infielders on each side of second base.

No that alone wont do it.Till they get rid of freaking free agency and stop paying these spoiled rich babies millions of dollars just for playing a stupid game,the game will never get restored to its dignity. I could not believe the idiot owners decided that to get players to treat the all star game with respect as they did back in the old days instead of a vacation holiday,that their lame idea was the winner gets home field advantage,that that would make them play harder.shit,that did not work and never will work,even back in the good old days when the players treated the game with respect instead of a vacation and did eveything they could to win sacrificing their bodies to break up double plays and the like,one league would always win the world series year after year having he more talented roster.:rolleyes:

before the owners started pampering them spoiling these rich babies with millions to play a game,that was WHEN they played the game hard and treated it as a regular season game instead of a vacation.those morons wont listen to logic and common sense to stop paying these spoiled brats millions of dollars,the ONLY way they will start playing the game hard again and treat it with respect.:rolleyes:

In one of my Kc royals books i have,it has a pic of Lou Pinella when he played for them before the royals made the most stupid trade in their franchise trading him to the yankees,t is a PRE SEASON game where he is seen in the photo barreling into the catcher to score.These days you will NEVER find a player who gets paid millions who would ever be caught doing that in a pre season game.NEVER.:mad:

Forum List

Back