Opening Day!

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Tom Horn, Mar 28, 2018.

1. Tom Horn

Tom Horn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,633
    The Boys of Summer return to Comerica Park Thursday afternoon in Detroit....BEISBOL IS BACK! After a long cruel winter seeing my Lions and Wolverines miss the playoffs again, my Phoenix Suns suffering through a seemingly perpetual and disturbing "rebuild", and my Red Wings missing the post season for the 2nd straight season after making it for 25 seasons in a row...FINALLY the Tigers are back. But wait, they're also in a rebuild after almost ten winning seasons, 4 straight central division winners, and two World Series (they almost got swept in both). So they might really suck but then again, they might not...which is why they play the games and I watch them.... streamed on MLB.com at the staggering cost of 55 cents a game. Their 7 pm starts during the season are 4 pm my time in Phoenix so it's a nice transition from the work day into the evening. It's the Tigers vs. the Pirates in an inter-league battle....rain is expected but the stadium will be full anyway....it's a cultural event in the Motor City. :eusa_angel:

[​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 28, 2018
  2. my2¢

my2¢ So it goes.

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,112
    Ah, the memories of Ernie Harwell, Gates Brown, Al Kaline, Norm Cash and the irresistible urge to mutter: "Now batting, Aurelio Rodriquez". Being from Cleveland area often enjoyed tuning into the Tigers game and listening to Harwell whenever the Tribe didn't have a game in progress. Only been to Tiger Stadium once, back at BGSU a bunch of us from the dorm chartered a campus bus and made the hour or so trip up I-75 for a Sunday game to see Cleveland take on the Tigers. All the way up we had one guy who just couldn't get over going to "Mecca", a reference he gave Detroit simply due to his fondness of Stroh's Beer.

Been in the Valley here for 36 years now, it's nice to root for the D-Backs and then also have my old American League team.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  3. Tom Horn

Tom Horn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,633
    I knew you were good people from the first time I saw your posts...and you're here in Arizona! My first game at The Corner was in 1959...the Indians...Tito Francona hit two out. I was terrified during BP...left field seats just foul of the pole...they were sending shots into those wood seats like missiles and I didn't have my glove....I figured maybe I could catch one in my cap instead of hiding under a seat but I was relieved when BP was over with. There's a poster here called "shoot speeders" whose avatar is Don Mossi. We still got '68.....I was just home from overseas, and Gibby, Lance, Tram, and Jack in '84. May be a long wait but even with Mr.I gone, his kid seems to want a winner....we'll know what's in store at the trade deadline in July.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner 'Ole Wise One' Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +8,594
    Baseball is a great sport... Not that this has anything to do with you gentlemen's conversation, but when I see the title "Opening Day" I immediately flashed on Jim "Catfish" Hunter... Why I have no clue. To my recollection I never seen him play and he was never on any of "my" teams... Cardinals and Reds...

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  5. Tom Horn

Tom Horn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,633
    Well DANG IT.....they called the game for inclement weather so they start tomorrow instead. I looked at the WXYZ radar weather map and it looks like the heavy rain will stay south of the city. My bet is they don't want to sit down the starting pitchers after a couple innings for some rain and then bring them back out a half hour later...hard to stay warm in 40 degree weather and Tigers starter Zimmerman has had back and neck issues for the last two years....no point in taking a chance with him yanking a muscle I suppose.... pussies.

• Funny Funny x 1
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  6. Tom Horn

Tom Horn BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +16,633
    I remember Catfish....big strong fella pitched for the Oakland A's. They had another pitcher named "Blue Moon" Odom. No nicknames in baseball like there used to be. I remember names like Jim "Mudcat" Grant and Wilmer "Vinegar Bend" Mizell, Ol Paw Paw Charlie Maxwell, Bill "Spaceman" Lee, Mark "The Bird" Fidrych, Mario "Sandman" Rivera, Steve "Bye Bye" Balboni and on and on... [​IMG]

• Winner Winner x 2
  7. Mr Clean

Mr Clean Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +6,710
    A bit early this year, no?

8. mdk

mdk Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +53,966
    Opening Day is usually the same day the Pirates become mathematically eliminated from the playoffs.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Funny and Agree!! Funny and Agree!! x 3
  9. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +38,153
    The Reigning Champs take on the Rangers at one o'clock today!!!
    Cant wait!!!

Go Stros!!!!
    upload_2018-3-29_9-13-36.png

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. DrLove

DrLove Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,362

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2