Biden vows to reopen Baltimore port, rebuild collapsed Key Bridge

26 Mar 2024 ~~ By Alex Gangitano

President Biden vowed Tuesday to rebuild Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge after it collapsed into the water when a cargo ship rammed into it, echoing what some Maryland officials said earlier but adding that he expects the federal government to foot the bill.
“It’s my intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge, and I expect the Congress to support my effort,” Biden said in remarks at the White House. “This is going to take some time, but the people of Baltimore can count on us though to stick with them at every step of the way until the port is reopen and the bridge is rebuilt.”
He said he spoke with Maryland Gov. Wes Moore (D) on Tuesday morning, as well as Maryland officials including its congressional delegation and two U.S. senators. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg traveled to the Baltimore site.

Commentary:
Thankfully, the bridge collapse occurred at 1:27 AM when there was little traffic on the bridge.
Baltimore harbor is closed for the immediate future. As someone on another thread mentioned, if only there were someone in office who had experience on getting major projects completed sooner than expected.
Actually, if Biden were smart and not so hateful, he’d offer Trump the job of dealing with the mess.
Have no fear. Pete Buttigieg is there now. Lord help us. BTW, I am sure the Big Guy will get his 10% kickback from this rebuild..
Of course we will have to buy the steel and concrete from China since America no longer manufactures these items. Just think of all those DEI jobs for illegal aliens that this accident has created. American citizens need not apply.
Undoubtedly, there is now potentially massive liability issues here regarding the ship, the companies involved.
Joe Biden's handlers might also intend to exploit this incident as a campaign ad, blaming the Republicans in Congress if they knock down his promise to have the taxpayers cough up billions of dollars to rebuild this bridge without any compensation from the negligent parties involved.
The rebuilding of the Francis Scott Key Bridge will be a DEI and minority owned business boondoggle. Parties are already positioning themselves to get their cut of the grift as we speak.
All the Democrat politicians of Baltimore will need favors, graft, pad the payroll, hire their cousins’ steel supplier (just opened! What great timing), set asides, pollution studies, DEI requirements, save the fish, safety training, abatement, bridge color survey, indigenous peoples museum for the bridge and slavery history museum for the bridge. And that’s week number one.

From the ships black box, they've now recovered photographic evidence of the cause -

70840-b14caf23-c557-4193-b6e5-67988702b932.jpg

It's a federal highway, Winnie. Who else bears the responsibility while it goes through litigation?
I imagine initially (cos it'll drag on), the government will get the ball rolling with rebuilding and financing the rebuild. At the same time the process of passing on / recovering the cost will be sort from the shipping company who will seek to have the bill covered by their insurance company. And like every insurance company and business, the insurance company will try to squirm out of it, and the shipping business likewise.

Just hope they don't put up another crappy tin Meccano one again.

The owner of the ship has gone to court in attempt to invoke the Limitation of Liability Act of 1851. This would limit the company's exposure to the value of the vessel and freight. Their proposed $43 million is less than half the cost of the bridge's construction in 1977.

Article

26 Mar 2024 ~~ By Alex Gangitano

President Biden vowed Tuesday to rebuild Baltimore’s Francis Scott Key Bridge after it collapsed into the water when a cargo ship rammed into it, echoing what some Maryland officials said earlier but adding that he expects the federal government to foot the bill.
“It’s my intention that the federal government will pay for the entire cost of reconstructing that bridge, and I expect the Congress to support my effort,” Biden said in remarks at the White House. “This is going to take some time, but the people of Baltimore can count on us though to stick with them at every step of the way until the port is reopen and the bridge is rebuilt.”
He said he spoke with Maryland Gov. Wes Moore (D) on Tuesday morning, as well as Maryland officials including its congressional delegation and two U.S. senators. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg traveled to the Baltimore site.

Commentary:
Thankfully, the bridge collapse occurred at 1:27 AM when there was little traffic on the bridge.
Baltimore harbor is closed for the immediate future. As someone on another thread mentioned, if only there were someone in office who had experience on getting major projects completed sooner than expected.
Actually, if Biden were smart and not so hateful, he’d offer Trump the job of dealing with the mess.
Have no fear. Pete Buttigieg is there now. Lord help us. BTW, I am sure the Big Guy will get his 10% kickback from this rebuild..
Of course we will have to buy the steel and concrete from China since America no longer manufactures these items. Just think of all those DEI jobs for illegal aliens that this accident has created. American citizens need not apply.
Undoubtedly, there is now potentially massive liability issues here regarding the ship, the companies involved.
Joe Biden's handlers might also intend to exploit this incident as a campaign ad, blaming the Republicans in Congress if they knock down his promise to have the taxpayers cough up billions of dollars to rebuild this bridge without any compensation from the negligent parties involved.
The rebuilding of the Francis Scott Key Bridge will be a DEI and minority owned business boondoggle. Parties are already positioning themselves to get their cut of the grift as we speak.
All the Democrat politicians of Baltimore will need favors, graft, pad the payroll, hire their cousins’ steel supplier (just opened! What great timing), set asides, pollution studies, DEI requirements, save the fish, safety training, abatement, bridge color survey, indigenous peoples museum for the bridge and slavery history museum for the bridge. And that’s week number one.
DEI saved lives that day.

Forum List

Back