Opening Day!

Well it’s Day 3 of the new season and already my hopes and dreams are crushed. The Blue Jays have had a total of 7 hits in the first two games of the season setting an all-time low for hit production in the first two losses. This is the 8th straight season we’ve lost the opening home game.

The past three seasons, the Jays have spotted the rest of the Division 15 games and then tried to play catch up. It looks like more of the same this year. Donaldson has an injured shoulder and can’t throw or hit. Tulowitski needs foot surgery, and Stroman was injured throughout spring training. Hopefully Estrada’s blister problem is over.

I hang out with a group of 6 sports fans, 5 of whom are baseball fans. We go to games together, and will often watch games on TV at home while chatting via Messenger about the game.

The sixth member of our group grew up in Poland and knows nothing about the game. She says that it seems to make the rest of us crazy and frustrated and wonders why we love it so much. At this point, I’m ready to agree with her.

At least your boys are playing....Detroit got rained out second time in 3 days for trying to play games in March...in Michigan. They could follow the NASCAR schedule and start in the southern states until the weather up north is good but NO. If this keeps up, Comerica may only have ushers and hot dog vendors in the stands when they are allowed to play again.

Minute Maid Park ....
View attachment 185570
View attachment 185572
I love the fact that while it's new construction they went out of their way to give it the classic ballpark look.

that indeed is the best spot for the ballpark since you dont have to look at the buildings in the background but the glass makes it too much of a modern feel and baseball was not meant to be played in a dome.thats what has really ruined the NFL for me is domed stadiums. we want to stcik to what is on the field as well,all that is indoors.

Maybe you like rain delays and cancels along with injuries.
Personally I dont.
I suppose we could open up NRG Stadium in the heat of early winter but to many would die from heat exhaustion.

rain delays are all part of the game,has been ever since it was invented,the way it was MEANT to be.:biggrin:

Minute Maid Park ....
View attachment 185570
View attachment 185572
I love the fact that while it's new construction they went out of their way to give it the classic ballpark look.

that indeed is the best spot for the ballpark since you dont have to look at the buildings in the background but the glass makes it too much of a modern feel and baseball was not meant to be played in a dome.thats what has really ruined the NFL for me is domed stadiums. we want to stcik to what is on the field as well,all that is indoors.

Maybe you like rain delays and cancels along with injuries.
Personally I dont.
I suppose we could open up NRG Stadium in the heat of early winter but to many would die from heat exhaustion.

rain delays are all part of the game,has been ever since it was invented,the way it was MEANT to be.:biggrin:

Have fun with your cancelled games.

They won today. One of the group says this erases the stink of our first two losses. I disagree. They have to win tomorrow too and split the series with the series with the Yankees.

Of the six of us we have 5 baseball fans, 4 tennis fans, 3 basketball fans, 2 Curling fans, and 1 Gymnastics fan. Our gymnastics fan is an accredited international judge. He’s qualified to judge at the Olympics, and hopes to do that in 2020.

All 6 of us are figure skating fans, which is how we met.

McCullers delivered!!!

You got most of the Tiger fans on your side because we still got a thing for Verlander and hope he comes back in 2020 to end his career where he belongs. BTW, Miggy and Altuve are good buds...
lol.gif

081515_hou_altuve_miggy_jersey_tug_med_vwuaqj2y.gif

McCullers delivered!!!

You got most of the Tiger fans on your side because we still got a thing for Verlander and hope he comes back in 2020 to end his career where he belongs. BTW, Miggy and Altuve are good buds...
lol.gif

Altuve ....
Arribba,arriba Andale!!!

Detroit got 3 guys for Verlander from the Astros who will be starters by late 2019....Franklin Perez, a sure-fire future #1 starter, Jake Rogers the top catching prospect in MLB, and CFer Daz Cameron who may end up being a better player than his pop, Mike. And your farm system is still one of the best in baseball. Whoever is running their drafting and player development is one of the best.

McCullers delivered!!!

lol.gif

Altuve ....
Arribba,arriba Andale!!!

Detroit got 3 guys for Verlander from the Astros who will be starters by late 2019....Perez, a sure-fire #1 starter, Jake Rogers the top catching prospect in MLB, and CFer Daz Cameron who may end up being a better player than his pop, Mike. And your farm system is still one of the best in baseball. Whoever is running their drafting and player development is one of the best.

The Stros have the farm league from hell !!!

Padres are 0-2...dropping first 2 to the Brewers. Gonna be another long season.

They say Detroit will lose 100 this year....I don't think so and they could surprise. They draft 1st courtesy of the worst record in baseball last year....I'm hoping they take this kid out of South Florida...Shane McClanahan..southpaw, throws 98 and just wild enough to keep things interesting:

Last edited:

They say Detroit will lose 100 this year....I don't think so and they could surprise. They draft 1st courtesy of the worst record in baseball last year....I'm hoping they take this kid out of South Florida...Shane McClanahan..southpaw, throws 98 and just wild enough to keep things interesting:

Looks good but throws young...tries to put that thing through the catcher every time. Hopefully he works out.
The Padres...uuuhhh. The season is still very young. However the team just...they had a 3 run lead going into the ninth against the Brewers and just blew it...five runs in one inning...their closer (Hand) just gave the damn thing away.
IDK...life of a Padres fan...great farm system just to sell the players to big market teams a couple years after call up. Try to stay out of the basement.
The good news is the Rockies looked like dogshit in their opener in Arizona...they won today. We have them next. First win? Let's gooooo Padres.

Looks good but throws young...tries to put that thing through the catcher every time. Hopefully he works out.
The Padres...uuuhhh. The season is still very young. However the team just...they had a 3 run lead going into the ninth against the Brewers and just blew it...five runs in one inning...their closer (Hand) just gave the damn thing away.
IDK...life of a Padres fan...great farm system just to sell the players to big market teams a couple years after call up. Try to stay out of the basement.
The good news is the Rockies looked like dogshit in their opener in Arizona...they won today. We have them next. First win? Let's gooooo Padres.

What I like about McClanahan is that his delivery isn't all that violent for as hard as he throws and he comes straight overhand so his shoulder is solid....already had Tommy John on the elbow so it's probably better than he was born with. There's always Brady Singer out of Florida and the Mize kid at Auburn. What the Tigers need is a sure-thing power hitter more than a fire-breathing pitching stud but they always draft pitching and surely will again. McClanahan can always be converted to the bullpen and if he struggles with his control and can be a prize trade chip....although you don't draft a #1 with the intention of trading him. Dombrowski looted our farm system (and is doing the same thing in Boston) trying to win Mr. Ilitch a ring so now the task is to keep payroll around $100M and build a team like the '84 Tigers....I'm sure you remember them.

well so far at the moment,the trade of eric hosmer was a waste.just watch,by mid season Hosmer will want to be back in KC again.LOL
Well...he can wipe his tears with all those millions. You're a Padre now shit breath...embrace the suck!
Sad to see! 0-3
Swept by the Brew Crew!
Rockies next...I smell a win!
Gooooooooooooooooo Padres!

a team like the '84 Tigers....I'm sure you remember them.
I was waiting for that! lol! Yes I do.
R.I.P Sparky...you SOB...lol!
I tell ya...gimme solid guys at the plate who are clutch and can slap it where it needs to be. Guys that can get on base and create something over a ham handed meteor maker any day. I love efficient, technical, 'small ball'.
Marry that with a couple ace pitchers and you are in there. I don't know if growing the pitchers is better than renting. I do know a good farm system is a MUST. Especially if you're a small market team. Are the Tigers considered small market?
However, you have to have the bucks to keep the kids that you raised. The Padres have rarely been able to do this.

a team like the '84 Tigers....I'm sure you remember them.
I was waiting for that! lol! Yes I do.
R.I.P Sparky...you SOB...lol!
I tell ya...gimme solid guys at the plate who are clutch and can slap it where it needs to be. Guys that can get on base and create something over a ham handed meteor maker any day. I love efficient, technical, 'small ball'.
Marry that with a couple ace pitchers and you are in there. I don't know if growing the pitchers is better than renting. I do know a good farm system is a MUST. Especially if you're a small market team. Are the Tigers considered small market?
However, you have to have the bucks to keep the kids that you raised. The Padres have rarely been able to do this.

The Tigers are probably considered a mid-market team. Mike Ilitch (Little Ceasars) put the Red Wings back on the map signing Russian free agents before the NHL did a salary cap. He tried to do the same thing with the Tigers....thought he could match his Stanley Cup trophies with WS rings. The franchise was in such a mess when he bought it from Monaaghan (Dominoes) the league was about to seize it and move the franchise. Ilitch tried to repair Tiger Stadium, gave up, and instead built Comerica with $85M of his own money and about half that from the city....unheard of in this day of cities getting blackmailed by sports franchises. This brought the Lions NFL franchise back from Pontiac to build their stadium next door. Ilitch is pretty much the guy who saved Detroit...literally. He refurbished and reopened the Fox Theatre which is now the cultural center of downtown. Now the downtown is bustling with new condos and retail shops with the mau maus being kept away by a heightened police presence. Even the drug gangs realize getting white people coming back into metro Detroit is good for everybody. And now Ilitch's last move is built...the Wings/Pistons new arena which tore down another 20 blocks of slums/crack houses and built a freaking cathedral for the two franchises. He died last year and his son is now in charge and running both franchises like businesses instead of a billionaire's toys. With a $200M payroll he had to have been losing $20-$30M a year and didn't care...he wanted that parade down Woodward Ave. So now the plan is a $100M payroll but with 2M fannies in the seats instead of his pop's 3M. In today's double-header I don't recall ever seeing so many empty seats since 2005. We won that game on opening day but the league shitheads in NYC stole it from us...so unless that is miraculously reversed somehow, they're 0-3 but playing hard for Gardenhire.

Just got 8-10 inches of snow in Twin Cities with possibility of more tomorrow. Home opener is Thurs.....stupid global warming....learned best tickets are the standing room for $20. Get there early, sit in one of the bars with a view and heat.

Tiger Stadium was a dump when I was a kid...it smelled like piss and ceegar smoke down in the tunnels in the 60's yet lasted another 40 years. But it was a classic alright and everybody from The Babe and Ty Cobb and Hank Greenberg to Teddy Ballgame (Ted Willams) to Mick and Al Kaline, and later Reggie and Harmon Killebrew sunk cleates into that dirt. They tried everything to save it but the foundation was crumbling after a hundred years and the support posts were beyond repair...Overhead pieces would fall off over the winter but still the diehards fought for it and were crushed when it was finally bulldozed. The field, at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull was just rescued and opened for local teams. The stadium itself is gone but they have the original flagpole which was in fair territory in deep center field. The Tigers won four championships there....nowhere near the Yankees gloried past but not bad for a blue-collar city with true-blue fans real close to the field. When we got on an enemy player he could expect to hear things about his mother, if he had skinny legs or a unibrow, or what kind of slump he was in, and if he was an outfielder could expect to have hot coins winged at him....I remember Roger Maris picking up a quarter once that had been made almost red hot with pliers and a cigarette lighter....he dropped it like a....uh, hot coin and was shaking his hand and swearing about his burnt fingers....of course we roared laughter and never let him forget it in later visits. It was said if a player got V.D. from a chippy, Tigers fans would hear about it and hound the guy mercilessly. What a place.

tiger10963.jpg

007-copy.jpg

i so much missed these glory days when the tigers had a stadium that was NOT a shithole.:mad::yes_text12::thankusmile:

such fond memories.

Forum List

Back