Opening Day!

I've been to baseball games at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium (the Mistake on the Lake), Tiger Stadium and Chase Field (D-Backs). I'd rate Tiger Stadium the best experience of the 3. You could have 35,000 in Cleveland attending the game and the place still felt empty with 45,000 remaining seats. Chase Field is like watching a game being played in an airplane hanger. Of today's stadiums, think I would like Dodger Stadium and the Royals ballpark the most.

I've been to baseball games at old Cleveland Municipal Stadium (the Mistake on the Lake), Tiger Stadium and Chase Field (D-Backs). I'd rate Tiger Stadium the best experience of the 3. You could have 35,000 in Cleveland attending the game and the place still felt empty with 45,000 remaining seats. Chase Field is like watching a game being played in an airplane hanger. Of today's stadiums, think I would like Dodger Stadium and the Royals ballpark the most.

I've never been to Comerica but from what I see from the broadcasts it's pretty nice, with the Lions stadium right next door and the Wings/Pistons brand new stadium just up the street. Thankfully the artificial turf yards are a thing of the past...never understood how an owner would want his team to play on a carpet over concrete 81 times a year...the number of foot, ankle, knee, and hip problems had to be anticipated....how much can it cost to grow and mow grass?

Before interleague play we drove from Phoenix over to Anaheim to see the Tigers. With the old GM Camaro and Firebird plants in Van Nuys, the transplanted Detroit boys showed up in huge numbers....we usually outnumbered the Angels fans. No interest in any of the other stadiums although the one they built in Baltimore awhile back looked pretty neat with that old factory building as one of the walls. I've seen the Tigers play here in Phoenix a couple years....pretty cool that Detroit finally followed me to the Valley of the Sun.

Cool story about old Tiger Stadium, which until 1960 was Briggs Stadium, and before they built the grandstands, Navin Field. One Friday night, Stormin' Norman Cash hit a ball over the RF roof and on the fly, hit a car across the street at a lumber yard and broke it's windshield. The owner got a new windshield that afternoon and sure enough, that night Cash hit another HR over the RF roof, hit the same car and broke it's new windshield.
lol.gif

Left to right: Roger Maris, Rocky Colavito (my childhood hero), Norm Cash, and Mickey Mantle:

Screen-Shot-2013-02-18-at-1.22.12-PM.png

Last edited:
It's the earliest opening day ever, and a full schedule of games. I'm happy the A's and Giants won.

The A's aren't going anywhere this season, but Khris Davis is outstanding. He's hit 85 homers for the A's the last two years. Another HR today with 4 rbi.

When the Giants beat the Dodgers, especially against Kershaw, it makes the arrival of Spring even more glorious.

Left to right: Roger Maris, Rocky Colavito (my childhood hero), Norm Cash, and Mickey Mantle:

Ah yes, I'm very familiar with the Curse of Rocky Colavito. Indians went to hell after trading him to Detroit. As a kid stepping to the plate I often pointed the tip of the bat straight at the pitcher as Colavito used to do. Heck, did it even when playing wiffle ball with my kids when they were little. Marris also started with the Tribe but left before my memorial thoughts started to kick in back in 1959.

Forgot to mention, for first 22 months of my life I lived in Redford Township before moving to Cleveland area. Naturally don't recall any of it but still for me and 2 older brothers we rooted for the Tigers in 2012 World Series, against my kid brother who was born in Cleveland and whose 2nd favorite team was the Giants ever since seeing Willie Mays on the Donna Reed Show.

Ah yes, I'm very familiar with the Curse of Rocky Colavito. Indians went to hell after trading him to Detroit. As a kid stepping to the plate I often pointed the tip of the bat straight at the pitcher as Colavito used to do. Heck, did it even when playing wiffle ball with my kids when they were little. Marris also started with the Tribe but left before my memorial thoughts started to kick in back in 1959.

Forgot to mention, for first 22 months of my life I lived in Redford Township before moving to Cleveland area. Naturally don't recall any of it but still for me and 2 older brothers we rooted for the Tigers in 2012 World Series, against my kid brother who was born in Cleveland and whose 2nd favorite team was the Giants ever since seeing Willie Mays on the Donna Reed Show.

I was 12 when the Indians traded us the 1959 HR champ for the Batting champ, Harvey Kuenn. We all thought it had to be a misprint...how could we get a guy like Colavito....movie star looks, a cannon for an arm, who'd hit 40 dingers and drive in 120 runs...for a homely, fat, guy with a giant wad of chewing tobacco in his cheek?
lol.gif

But it was true and while Indian fans went to the "mistake by the lake" in the dead of winter to bang on doors and break windows, we had Rocky and his fan club of "Rocko Sockos" which I joined immediately. I quickly started pulling my bat behind my shoulders flexing and twisting both ways like Rocky did....may have done the bat-point but my coach didn't like that. Before a day game I yelled at Rocky and he gave me a big grin and wiggled his eyebrows at us....my mother swooned..."he's so handsome!" He and Kaline and Cash kept us up with the hated Yankees in the 1961 season, when the Tigers won 101 games but the Yanks won 109. Same year Maris hit 61 and Norm Cash won the batting title. If it's any consolation to Indian fans, in 1965 the Tigers traded Rocky back to he Indians, maybe because we'd looted them in 1960.

Years later playing LF for the hated Yanks, he looked up in the stands and saw his dad in a fistfight with a couple Bronx thugs. Rocky raced up into the stands to help him and when the thugs saw Rocky coming, hightailed it out there. Of all those guys mentioned, only Rocky and Al Kaline are still alive....Kaline, probably the best RFer ever, including Clemente, still comes to Spring Training with the Tigers, tutors the outfielders, and is an "assistant to the GM". He always sits by himself somewhere in the stands and nobody bothers him.

Last edited:
The Boys of Summer return to Comerica Park Thursday afternoon in Detroit....BEISBOL IS BACK! After a long cruel winter seeing my Lions and Wolverines miss the playoffs again, my Phoenix Suns suffering through a seemingly perpetual and disturbing "rebuild", and my Red Wings missing the post season for the 2nd straight season after making it for 25 seasons in a row...FINALLY the Tigers are back. But wait, they're also in a rebuild after almost ten winning seasons, 4 straight central division winners, and two World Series (they almost got swept in both). So they might really suck but then again, they might not...which is why they play the games and I watch them.... streamed on MLB.com at the staggering cost of 55 cents a game. Their 7 pm starts during the season are 4 pm my time in Phoenix so it's a nice transition from the work day into the evening. It's the Tigers vs. the Pirates in an inter-league battle....rain is expected but the stadium will be full anyway....it's a cultural event in the Motor City. :eusa_angel:

Comerica-Park.jpg

what a shitty ugly dump,tiger stadium was 10 times nicer.:haha:
whats REALLY funny though is a new stadium has not helped them jack shit in winning another world series like they always used to at old tiger stadium.:iyfyus.jpg:

Give me the classic old ballparks that have NICE stadiums wrigley field and fenway park any day of the year.

here is the coolest baseball park in the world bar none.a stadium EVERY baseball fan should attend some day if you want to post pics of NICE ballparks.LOL.:2up:

only the giants stadium comes as close to them as the coolest stadium in the country.

as i said,the coolest baseball stadium in the world.

94052d823ae0d2f271470a136071fb06--kc-royals-baseball-kansas-city-royals.jpg

the nice cool scoreboard itself ALONE is breathtaking but when you have the fountains lit up at night.? its game over for any other baseball stadium,the colorado rockies TRIED to copy them with the fountains but they are a poor imitation.LOL they cant touched these fountains below.LOL

a pretty and beautiful sight you just cant beat.

Tiger Stadium was a dump when I was a kid...it smelled like piss and ceegar smoke down in the tunnels in the 60's yet lasted another 40 years. But it was a classic alright and everybody from The Babe and Ty Cobb and Hank Greenberg to Teddy Ballgame (Ted Willams) to Mick and Al Kaline, and later Reggie and Harmon Killebrew sunk cleates into that dirt. They tried everything to save it but the foundation was crumbling after a hundred years and the support posts were beyond repair...Overhead pieces would fall off over the winter but still the diehards fought for it and were crushed when it was finally bulldozed. The field, at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull was just rescued and opened for local teams. The stadium itself is gone but they have the original flagpole which was in fair territory in deep center field. The Tigers won four championships there....nowhere near the Yankees gloried past but not bad for a blue-collar city with true-blue fans real close to the field. When we got on an enemy player he could expect to hear things about his mother, if he had skinny legs or a unibrow, or what kind of slump he was in, and if he was an outfielder could expect to have hot coins winged at him....I remember Roger Maris picking up a quarter once that had been made almost red hot with pliers and a cigarette lighter....he dropped it like a....uh, hot coin and was shaking his hand and swearing about his burnt fingers....of course we roared laughter and never let him forget it in later visits. It was said if a player got V.D. from a chippy, Tigers fans would hear about it and hound the guy mercilessly. What a place.

tiger10963.jpg

007-copy.jpg

I like Comerica Park just fine, better than Tigers Stadium, but I'm not going there in March, April and no night game until the middle of June.

I've been to Tiger Stadium a few hundred times starting in the late '60 with my dad. In the early- mid 80's I was going fifty plus times a year.

Now me and the wife, son or buddy only go 10-12 times, mostly in July- August.

Tiger Stadium is now gone and has been replaced by an PAL park. I was in Detroit last weekend at Eastern Market and drove by there it is a pretty cool place.

-PAL-Sat016.jpg
pal.jpg

I got a few changes I want to make when I become Commissioner of Baseball:

1. Extend the DH to the National League.

2. Eliminate the Central Division. Divide those teams between the East and the West. During the regular season, the Eastern Division teams only play the Eastern Division teams and likewise for the Western Division teams. East meets West only in the Division Series.

3. Eliminate the foul line past first and third bases. Anything hit into the outfield is playable.

Comments?

I've never been to Comerica but from what I see from the broadcasts it's pretty nice, with the Lions stadium right next door and the Wings/Pistons brand new stadium just up the street. Thankfully the artificial turf yards are a thing of the past...never understood how an owner would want his team to play on a carpet over concrete 81 times a year...the number of foot, ankle, knee, and hip problems had to be anticipated....how much can it cost to grow and mow grass?

Before interleague play we drove from Phoenix over to Anaheim to see the Tigers. With the old GM Camaro and Firebird plants in Van Nuys, the transplanted Detroit boys showed up in huge numbers....we usually outnumbered the Angels fans. No interest in any of the other stadiums although the one they built in Baltimore awhile back looked pretty neat with that old factory building as one of the walls. I've seen the Tigers play here in Phoenix a couple years....pretty cool that Detroit finally followed me to the Valley of the Sun.

Cool story about old Tiger Stadium, which until 1960 was Briggs Stadium, and before they built the grandstands, Navin Field. One Friday night, Stormin' Norman Cash hit a ball over the RF roof and on the fly, hit a car across the street at a lumber yard and broke it's windshield. The owner got a new windshield that afternoon and sure enough, that night Cash hit another HR over the RF roof, hit the same car and broke it's new windshield.
lol.gif

shit from looking at those pics of the two and seeing the place on tv,THAT stadium should be called the mistake by the lake.its a piece of shit.

The Boys of Summer return to Comerica Park Thursday afternoon in Detroit....BEISBOL IS BACK! After a long cruel winter seeing my Lions and Wolverines miss the playoffs again, my Phoenix Suns suffering through a seemingly perpetual and disturbing "rebuild", and my Red Wings missing the post season for the 2nd straight season after making it for 25 seasons in a row...FINALLY the Tigers are back. But wait, they're also in a rebuild after almost ten winning seasons, 4 straight central division winners, and two World Series (they almost got swept in both). So they might really suck but then again, they might not...which is why they play the games and I watch them.... streamed on MLB.com at the staggering cost of 55 cents a game. Their 7 pm starts during the season are 4 pm my time in Phoenix so it's a nice transition from the work day into the evening. It's the Tigers vs. the Pirates in an inter-league battle....rain is expected but the stadium will be full anyway....it's a cultural event in the Motor City. :eusa_angel:

Comerica-Park.jpg

whats REALLY funny though is a new stadium has not helped them jack shit in winning another world series like they always used to at old tiger stadium.:iyfyus.jpg:

Give me the classic old ballparks that have NICE stadiums wrigley field and fenway park any day of the year.

here is the coolest baseball park in the world bar none.a stadium EVERY baseball fan should attend some day if you want to post pics of NICE ballparks.LOL.:2up:

only the giants stadium comes as close to them as the coolest stadium in the country.

the nice cool scoreboard itself ALONE is breathtaking but when you have the fountains lit up at night.? its game over for any other baseball stadium,the colorado rockies TRIED to copy them with the fountains but they are a poor imitation.LOL they cant touched these fountains below.LOL

Tiger Stadium was a dump when I was a kid...it smelled like piss and ceegar smoke down in the tunnels in the 60's yet lasted another 40 years. But it was a classic alright and everybody from The Babe and Ty Cobb and Hank Greenberg to Teddy Ballgame (Ted Willams) to Mick and Al Kaline, and later Reggie and Harmon Killebrew sunk cleates into that dirt. They tried everything to save it but the foundation was crumbling after a hundred years and the support posts were beyond repair...Overhead pieces would fall off over the winter but still the diehards fought for it and were crushed when it was finally bulldozed. The field, at the corner of Michigan and Trumbull was just rescued and opened for local teams. The stadium itself is gone but they have the original flagpole which was in fair territory in deep center field. The Tigers won four championships there....nowhere near the Yankees gloried past but not bad for a blue-collar city with true-blue fans real close to the field. When we got on an enemy player he could expect to hear things about his mother, if he had skinny legs or a unibrow, or what kind of slump he was in, and if he was an outfielder could expect to have hot coins winged at him....I remember Roger Maris picking up a quarter once that had been made almost red hot with pliers and a cigarette lighter....he dropped it like a....uh, hot coin and was shaking his hand and swearing about his burnt fingers....of course we roared laughter and never let him forget it in later visits. It was said if a player got V.D. from a chippy, Tigers fans would hear about it and hound the guy mercilessly. What a place.

tiger10963.jpg

007-copy.jpg

I like Comerica Park just fine, better than Tigers Stadium, but I'm not going there in March, April and no night game until the middle of June.

I've been to Tiger Stadium a few hundred times starting in the late '60 with my dad. In the early- mid 80's I was going fifty plus times a year.

Tiger Stadium is now gone and has been replaced by an PAL park. I was in Detroit last weekend at Eastern Market and drove by there it is a pretty cool place.

View attachment 185522 View attachment 185523

glad you like that shithole so much,give me tiger stadium ANYDAY of the year over that craphole.

:yes_text12::udaman: i LOVE how you see that the Royals stadium is the best you have seen.:clap2: Its funny that you mentioned the royals and dodgers stadium as your favorites because the irony is i once talked to Pete Lacock who was a utility player for both the royals and cubs and since he got to play in BOTH leagues,i asked him when i saw him about five years ago,what his favorite ballpark was that he got to play in and he as well said the royals and dodgers also and he has been to the newer ballparks like chase field as well so you are not alone.:thup: i have seen a few of the ballparks but dodger stadium i have not had the pleasure yet.

yeah i been to chase field once,it does not feel like a ballpark at all,it feels much more like you are at a shopping mall which sadly is what most new ballparks feel like this day and age,:mad:

Comerica-Park.jpg

tiger10963.jpg

007-copy.jpg

glad you like that shithole so much,give me tiger stadium ANYDAY of the year over that craphole.

I'll take Minute Maid Park over both.

upload_2018-3-30_15-21-14.png

upload_2018-3-30_15-22-30.png

Comerica-Park.jpg

tiger10963.jpg

007-copy.jpg

View attachment 185567
View attachment 185568

well it easily beats that dump comerica park,no contest,but thats comedy gold to take that over royals stadium.LOL it has the same problem shit hole camerica park does,a bunch of buildings in the background,the LAST thing i want to look at when i go to a ballpark is look at a bunch of work buildings and high rises.:rofl:

Comerica-Park.jpg

tiger10963.jpg

007-copy.jpg

View attachment 185567
View attachment 185568

well it easily beats that dump comerica park,no contest,but thats comedy gold to take that over royals stadium.LOL it has the same problem shit hole camerica park does,a bunch of buildings in the background,the LAST thing i want to look at when i go to a ballpark is look at a bunch of work buildings and high rises.:rofl:

So what happens when it rains?
Oh...and those are newly constructed lofts overlooking the field of play and they go for a pretty penny.

Comerica-Park.jpg

tiger10963.jpg

007-copy.jpg

View attachment 185567
View attachment 185568

You living in HOUSTON,why am I not surprised? LOL That tells me you are biased and only like it so much cause it is in YOUR city. that you are not objective like my two cents is. see HE lives in arizona but since he is objective and not biased,he sees the diamondbacks stadium for what it is,a stadium that is not worth a shit looking at the fact is much more like a shopping mall than a ballpark like the classic ballparks are or even the modern ballparks that are FUN to watch like the royals,dodgers and giants beautiful stadiums are.LOL

Minute Maid Park ....
View attachment 185570
View attachment 185572
I love the fact that while it's new construction they went out of their way to give it the classic ballpark look.

that indeed is the best spot for the ballpark since you dont have to look at the buildings in the background but the glass makes it too much of a modern feel and baseball was not meant to be played in a dome.thats what has really ruined the NFL for me is domed stadiums. we want to stcik to what is on the field as well,all that is indoors.

Minute Maid Park ....
View attachment 185570
View attachment 185572
I love the fact that while it's new construction they went out of their way to give it the classic ballpark look.

that indeed is the best spot for the ballpark since you dont have to look at the buildings in the background but the glass makes it too much of a modern feel and baseball was not meant to be played in a dome.thats what has really ruined the NFL for me is domed stadiums. we want to stcik to what is on the field as well,all that is indoors.

Maybe you like rain delays and cancels along with injuries.
Personally I dont.
I suppose we could open up NRG Stadium in the heat of early winter but to many would die from heat exhaustion.

Well, I been too PISSED to comment on how opening day went. We won the game 11-10 in the bottom of the 9th after a ferocious comeback being down 4 runs. Castallanos slid past the catcher to score the winning run, the ump waved him safe, the crowd erupted, the Tigers swarmed onto the field jumping around and that was that right? Nope. The Pirates asked for a replay review...everybody assumed it was a courtesy review. Almost 4 minutes later, the replay clowns in NYC talked themselves into seeing a phantom tag catching Nick on the SLEEVE. The rule says "clear and convincing evidence" required for a field call to be overturned and yet it took them almost 4 minutes looking at replays.....disgusting...even the Pirates didn't believe it. Gardenhire continued kicking dirt on home plate until he was ejected...the crowd was screaming at the umps....and 4 innings later a Pirate hitter nails a 3 run dinger and the Tigers had nothing left for them. Hopefully the Tigers filed a protest with the league office but these things are rarely overturned and never for a Detroit team....we knocked the Yanks out of the playoffs too many times in recent years to expect any fairness from New York.
q4yXp98.png

Forum List

Back