Only 35% Hybrid owners buy another one

whitehall

Diamond Member
Dec 28, 2010
Western Va.
According to ABC news a survey by the auto research group "Polk" among 75,000 Hybrid buyers it seems that only 35% bought hybrids again. "Prius" owners accounted for half of the hybrid owners at one time but loyalty dropped off by 75 %. The truth is that you just don't see the things running around town anymore. Are they all laid up with battery problems? You can't just put a used Hybrid battery in a Walmart shopping cart and lay down 60 bucks for an exchange. You need a squad of mechanics and a fork lift to move the haz-mat monster.

I dont own one but a friend does and tells me the battery replacement is covered under the warrantee up to 150.00 thou mls
should i care how many mechanics it takes and how much it costs if im not paying ?

You can't just put a used Hybrid battery in a Walmart shopping cart and lay down 60 bucks for an exchange. You need a squad of mechanics and a fork lift to move the haz-mat monster.

I'm on my 3rd hybrid, and no battery problems yet. Obviously I don't fall into the "won't buy another" category. So far, the one with the biggest battery (Volt) has been the best of the bunch. First GM product I've ever owned as well.

You can't just put a used Hybrid battery in a Walmart shopping cart and lay down 60 bucks for an exchange. You need a squad of mechanics and a fork lift to move the haz-mat monster.

I'm on my 3rd hybrid, and no battery problems yet. Obviously I don't fall into the "won't buy another" category. So far, the one with the biggest battery (Volt) has been the best of the bunch. First GM product I've ever owned as well.
How do you like your Volt?

And how nice is the interior?

Why would you buy another hybrid when you already have one?
why would you buy one in the first place?

Why would you buy one in the first place?
I would argue with you but I don't want to be dragged down into the idiot zone where you'd kick my ass
with your experience. So just check out this article, then ask again "Why would you buy one in the first
place?" --- unless you think it makes you look to stupid.

Chevrolet Volt Saves Supertanker of Gas

Grant Kenney
Thursday, 17 May 2012

Just how much fuel have Chevrolet Volt owners collectively saved since the Volt went on sale? Enough to fill one supertanker, or 2.1 million gallons of gasoline, which equates to more than $8 million in combined fuel savings. That’s thanks to the more than 40 million miles those drivers have traveled on electricity.

Volt drivers spend 60% of their time driving electrically, but utilize the gasoline range extender when they need to travel further than the 35-40 miles they can get on a single charge. You might be thinking, “That’s pretty cool, but what does it all mean?” Well, to break it down for you…

40 Million Total Electric Miles (EV) driven equivalent to:
• 16,373 trips across the United States (2,443 miles from New York to Los Angeles)
• 1,606 trips around the Earth (24,901 miles each)
• 167 trips to the Moon (238,657 miles each)

2,130,000 Gallons of Gas Saved equivalent to:
• 50,714 barrels of gas saved (42 gallons of gas per barrel)
• $8,000,000 saved at the gas pump (based on $3.80/gallon of gas)
• 387 U.S. semi-truck tankers of gas saved (5,500 gallons of gas each)
• One supertanker of gas saved (2 million gallons of gas)
Chevrolet recently introduced a rolling ticker on its website that showcases real-time daily driving statistics for Volt owners based on OnStar data.The ticker shows total number of miles driven, electric miles driven and gallons of gas saved.

VoltElectricMiles.jpg

So you're not concerned with the manufacturing pollution and issues with bringing the parts in from all over the world to make them? The battery manufacture itself has a helluva impact before you drive it off the lot.

So while YOU directly may not see the pollution, it's because it's safely hidden in the manufacturing impact on the environment.

Is that factored into your environmental impact statement? You ever even consider it?

Of course, then there's how well they work in the cold. :lol:

So you're not concerned with the manufacturing pollution and issues with bringing the parts in from all over the world to make them? The battery manufacture itself has a helluva impact before you drive it off the lot.

So while YOU directly may not see the pollution, it's because it's safely hidden in the manufacturing impact on the environment.

Is that factored into your environmental impact statement? You ever even consider it?

We can bury that shit in Nevada. It's just sinners and cultists out there. :lol:

Hybrids are great if you plan on keeping them long enough and provided the batteries do not fail. The novelty factor is kinda cool too, they are very quiet when running on batteries. Just like the golf cart I will be in later today! Hopefully the technology will improve and we'll start to see prices and efficiency come down. I am all for alternatives. I'd love to see a hybrid/solar/flex fuel vehicle.

That being said, hybrid vehicles are not more "energy efficient" and are not "global warming" friendly. They simply move the tailpipe to Japan, China or wherever else the batteries are made.

According to ABC news a survey by the auto research group "Polk" among 75,000 Hybrid buyers it seems that only 35% bought hybrids again. "Prius" owners accounted for half of the hybrid owners at one time but loyalty dropped off by 75 %. The truth is that you just don't see the things running around town anymore. Are they all laid up with battery problems? You can't just put a used Hybrid battery in a Walmart shopping cart and lay down 60 bucks for an exchange. You need a squad of mechanics and a fork lift to move the haz-mat monster.

I don't know where you are, but where I am, the Prius is by far the most represented car on the road. I have never seen a Volt, seen only one Leaf, but the Prius is EVERYWHERE. It might have something to do with the Prius being competitively priced.

A 100,000 mile warranty on a Volt battery isn't going to be determinative because it would take 27 years to see any savings in gas mileage if gas was $5.00 a gallon.

Hybrids are great if you plan on keeping them long enough and provided the batteries do not fail. The novelty factor is kinda cool too, they are very quiet when running on batteries. Just like the golf cart I will be in later today! Hopefully the technology will improve and we'll start to see prices and efficiency come down. I am all for alternatives. I'd love to see a hybrid/solar/flex fuel vehicle.

That being said, hybrid vehicles are not more "energy efficient" and are not "global warming" friendly. They simply move the tailpipe to Japan, China or wherever else the batteries are made.
The NIMBY Philosophy on steroids.

Depending on how you use your vehicle and which variables might be involved -- cold weather might reduce your vehicles electric range by 6 miles or so. But with an overall range of about 350 miles that represents a percentage range change of somewhere in the neighborhood of... hahaha, you do the math - LOL

...you should expect to get lower range as temperatures drop. How much lower? Well I have a trusty graphic here to help demonstrate

chevyvoltcoldweatherrangegraph.png

Has anyone seen what running your heater full blast
while driving in the mountains does to your gas mileage? - duh!

We bought a Prius last week. Have nearly 500 miles on it and have averged 57 miles per gallon (and that includes lead foot, my wife putting on half of those miles).

The power train is warranted for 100,000 miles, the hybrid battery for 150,000 miles and the first two years of service are included. As for fewer and fewer hybrids being on the road that's not the case in the SF Bay Area. The Prius is getting to be as common as the VW Bug was 40 -50 years ago in our region.

Off-topic, but I would kick your ass in golf. :)

We bought a Prius last week. Have nearly 500 miles on it and have averged 57 miles per gallon (and that includes lead foot, my wife putting on half of those miles).

The power train is warranted for 100,000 miles, the hybrid battery for 150,000 miles and the first two years of service are included. As for fewer and fewer hybrids being on the road that's not the case in the SF Bay Area. The Prius is getting to be as common as the VW Bug was 40 -50 years ago in our region.
How do you like it so far?

New Topics

Forum List

Back