Many hybrid-car owners buy once -- but not again, Polk study says

Discussion in 'Environment' started by bripat9643, Apr 10, 2012.

1. bripat9643

bripat9643 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +27,363
    Hybrid cars: Only 35% of hybrid-car owners buy another one, Polk says - latimes.com

While the choice of fuel-efficient hybrid vehicles for sale in the U.S. continues to grow, more buyers than not are deciding against the technology when they go to buy another car.

Only 35% of hybrid vehicle owners chose to purchase a hybrid again when they returned to the market in 2011, according to auto information company R.L. Polk & Co.

2. merrill

merrill VIP Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +92
    Corrolla can get very close to Prius... The 5 speed is more fun.

Hybrid cars must be driven according to instruction to obtain maximum benefits.

According to the news price was the larger issue not the technology.

3. KissMy

KissMy Free Breast Exam

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,922
    Nat gas or ethanol is the way to go.

4. Ed Spacer

Ed Spacer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +208
    True true true.

5. blackhawk

blackhawk Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +9,073
    The newest hybrid.
    [​IMG]

6. waltky

waltky Wise ol' monkey Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,871
    Pure gas still favored over ethanol...
    :eusa_eh:
    Ethanol concerns bring customers to more costly 'pure' gas stations
    May 16, 2012 – When looking to fill up your tank, would you drive farther to pay more? Randy Hake's customers are doing just that, since he's the only gas station in York County, Pa., selling "pure" ethanol-free fuel.

7. Synthaholic

Synthaholic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Kicking PoliticalChic's ass up & down the forum
    Ratings:
    +8,855
    Two threads about this - why do wingnuts have a hard-on to see any threat to oil fail?

That behaviour is anti-American.

8. candycorn

candycorn Alis volat propriis

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,052
    I don't know about "anti-American" but it is anti common sense.

We're running out of natural resources on this planet. We consume them faster than good old Mother Nature can provide them. That's just common sense. So we either stop the consumption or consume renewable resources instead. That, also, is common sense.

Geo-politically, we fought two wars in 20 years over oil although some here would make the foolish argument that their goal was to liberate Kuwait and was some sort of second front on the war on terror. They weren't. So it would make sense to use less of the stuff or to at least try to use less.

I understand skepticism of new technologies. I don't understand the celebratory nature of hoping they fail however.

About 10 years ago, I was living in a city that had a fledgling soccer franchise. The team did decently in the standings but one major high school football team's average home game drew twice what the professional soccer team did routinely. Finally, the soccer team pulled up it's tent stakes and disbanded. The next day, talk radio was celebrating their exit. Letters to the editor in the news papers were of the same flavor of happiness. I didn't get it then and I don't get it now.

The cars nor the soccer team posed any threat to the American way of life, the local economies, the jobs of the citizens, or to anyone's puppies. Celebrating or hoping for their demise is simply put; sick.

While it's perfectly valid to have an opinion about upstart products, services, franchises, and the like, one would hope that these people who ostracize the new or the novel would consider their positions prior to making them known to avoid looking callus if nothing else.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 2
  9. J.E.D

J.E.D What's tha matta?

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +2,576
    Well, that does it! Screw hybrid and electric cars! Time to go double time on gas guzzler production. It's not like we have a finite resource of fossil fuels.

[​IMG]

10. Synthaholic

Synthaholic Platinum Member

Thanks Received:
    Kicking PoliticalChic's ass up & down the forum
    Ratings:
    +8,855

Good post, Candycorn. I do think it's anti-American. Soaring gas prices hurt U.S. productivity, reduce consumer buying power, and make every product more expensive. Plus, it puts billions and billions more in the pockets of people who hate this country and share none of our values (except greed).

So when I see these morons here who brag because they are now driving a gas-guzzler, I wonder why they hate this country.